Water filter?

dotman

WKR
Never said you couldn't use the squeeze as a gravity. Just saying from using both the squeeze is a PITA to fill compared to a big zip, and the bags aren't as durable, saw one spring a leak in person on the 2nd trip out, that was enough to tell me that they just aren't up to the abuse that I put my bladders through. Its personal preference but you couldn't get me to use a squeeze filter ever again over an inline. Just creates extra steps in the filtering. I also don't wanna swap back and forth when fittings and what not. Fill up the dromedary gravity style from the big zip if I need to and move on. Again just a different approach I like the simple/fast and not having to hold and squeeze all the time to get my water out. And on the go a simple one or two dips and the bladder is full rather than trying to fill through the smaller openings of threaded caps.

And I may end up with a big zip eventually but won't need it this year with a good water supply close to camp and I may find I dislike filling the dromedary but no way will it be as bad as using the squeeze bags, I agree they suck and freeze your hand when trying to fill a 10L camp bag. No more squeezing for me.

BuckSnort

WKR
I copied Luke's system (sawyer inline+Big Zip Bag) and tried it out last year..Very impressed, made purifying water effortless...Thanks again Luke..

OP
TwoTikkas

TwoTikkas

WKR
Well,it looks like I need to get both. I can see there are some very good points to be made all directions. I'll have to play around with them a bit to better understand just how things stack up. I appreciate all the great feedback. You fellas are number 1. Thanks!

There ya go:

IMGP1266.jpg

I highly suggest a platypus big zip bladder though as filling it is WAY easier than any other style bladder I've used.

Not to highjack the thread, but Luke how do you have your rifle attached in that picture?

Sawtoothsteve

Lil-Rokslider
There ya go:

IMGP1266.jpg

I highly suggest a platypus big zip bladder though as filling it is WAY easier than any other style bladder I've used.

Luke,

I am using the same filter and setup for the past two years and have been happy. I like the idea of getting the higher pressure by moving the filter closer to the bite valve, however I did not set mine up that way due to fear of freezing the filter and either breaking it or destroying the filtering properties. Instead, I have mine closer to the bag so that it is inside my pack. Doing that takes more space in my pack and does not give me the increased pressures as you noted. Just curious if you have had any freezing issues? I fight freezing in my tube and bitevalve in late season hunting.

Any feedback?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Luke,

I am using the same filter and setup for the past two years and have been happy. I like the idea of getting the higher pressure by moving the filter closer to the bite valve, however I did not set mine up that way due to fear of freezing the filter and either breaking it or destroying the filtering properties. Instead, I have mine closer to the bag so that it is inside my pack. Doing that takes more space in my pack and does not give me the increased pressures as you noted. Just curious if you have had any freezing issues? I fight freezing in my tube and bitevalve in late season hunting.

Any feedback?

Its nearly the same temp inside of my pack as it is on the outside of my pack so having in or out of my pack is a non issue. Yes it can be an issue if the filter freezes. However it can/does freeze, but I haven't had an issue with just thawing it out. Whether my filter is still good after a couple freeze/thaw cycles I'm not sure, but I do take it apart and put it in my bag if I know its gonna be cold that night. Replumb it up in the morning and go. On October trips though I bring a Hiker Pro instead or even got a Steripen to try out on those trip.

Last edited:

bbrown

WKR
So Luke what exactly does your water treatment system/ what are the parts and pieces?

I am thinking you have Platy Big Zip 3l - http://www.rei.com/product/767108/platypus-big-zip-sl-30l-reservoir-100-fl-oz

with the Saywer 3-way inline - http://www.rei.com/product/801824/sawyer-3-way-inline-water-filter

then a Platy bag or dromlite bag for water storage at camp to gravity filter into.

I am really liking the idea of this as it would eliminate some extra weight/bulk of the Katadyn/Pur Hiker. I also have the Katadyn Base camp gravity filter but what you said about have the filter further down stream to create some pressure makes a lot of sense and might explain why it takes a bit to filter with the base camp.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
So Luke what exactly does your water treatment system/ what are the parts and pieces?

I am thinking you have Platy Big Zip 3l - http://www.rei.com/product/767108/platypus-big-zip-sl-30l-reservoir-100-fl-oz

with the Saywer 3-way inline - http://www.rei.com/product/801824/sawyer-3-way-inline-water-filter

then a Platy bag or dromlite bag for water storage at camp to gravity filter into.

I am really liking the idea of this as it would eliminate some extra weight/bulk of the Katadyn/Pur Hiker. I also have the Katadyn Base camp gravity filter but what you said about have the filter further down stream to create some pressure makes a lot of sense and might explain why it takes a bit to filter with the base camp.

Yup, that is our system...for in camp we have a 6L dromlite, althought it doesn't go on every trip, and even if we have it along we only fill it up if it's a ways to a water source. The ability to dip and go means we never have to pump, and can just fill up anytime we find a good water source.

Sawtoothsteve

Lil-Rokslider
Its nearly the same temp inside of my pack as it is on the outside of my pack so having in or out of my pack is a non issue. Yes it can be an issue if the filter freezes. However it can/does freeze, but I haven't had an issue with just thawing it out. Whether my filter is still good after a couple freeze/thaw cycles I'm not sure, but I do take it apart and put it in my bag if I know its gonna be cold that night. Replumb it up in the morning and go. On October trips though I bring a Hiker Pro instead or even got a Steripen to try out on those trip.

Thanks Luke for the reply. I think I'll keep mine in the bag for now since it has not froze there, even down in single digit temps. Still a little skittish on freezing the filter element and increasing the size of the filter holes allowing more bugs through. Maybe I'll consider a short lenth of extra tubing to get the filter away from the bag to increase pressure when filtering while at camp.

Careful with the Steripen. My brother and I used for a couple of year and both carried for redundency, and good thing as we had some bulb failures. When working, never had issues with it not "curing" the water though. Always carried some aquamira tabs for back-up (still do).