Water filter?

TwoTikkas

WKR
Howdy all. What should i get to keep in my daypack for single serving water filtration? I'm not looking to treat water for a spike camp or such,just for a drink should I run out of canteen / bottled water while on the mountain. Maybe in conjunction with iodine tabs. What's a good way to go?

Solitude

WKR
+1 for the Sawyer.

Light, Good flow rate and does not take up much room at all.

Used it for the first time this year on several trips and have zero complaints.

Wrongside

WKR
The Sawyer Inline was one of my favourite purchases last year. Lightest, most convenient filter I've used.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Been using the sawyer inline for 2 seasons now...just so handy to dip and go, no active filtering needed

dotman

WKR
Been using the sawyer inline for 2 seasons now...just so handy to dip and go, no active filtering needed

Luke, I picked up the inline adapter kit last year for my squeeze filter but have yet to cut my hydration line. If I remember correctly you have the filter mounted about 8in from the bite valve right?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Honestly, the closer to the bite valve you can stand it the better, then when you use it as a gravity filter the further away it is from the bladder the more head pressure you have and the faster it filters. Not sure exactly how far mine is from the bite valve....I'll try to dig up a pic and show ya where I have it....obviously its a personal preference thing and I just randomly put it about in that location but it seemed to work out alright.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
There ya go:

IMGP1266.jpg

I highly suggest a platypus big zip bladder though as filling it is WAY easier than any other style bladder I've used.

OP
TwoTikkas

TwoTikkas

WKR
OK,so the inline Sawyer is fitted into the bladder line? If so,do you just fill the bladder from the source,and filter it as you use the bladder/bite valve?

Go with the sawyer squeeze. The in-lines work okay but there's not really a weight saving over the squeeze. The advantage of a squeeze is if you decide to take your jet boil for coffee or hot chocolate it's easier to fill and it's also nice to drink water out of a cup once in a while.

Mckinnon

WKR
I looked at getting the squeeze and to me it seems like it would be a hassle. I like the idea of an inline, could be a big weight saver over my hiker pro. Only thing I wonder is if people have problems with them freezing?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Go with the sawyer squeeze. The in-lines work okay but there's not really a weight saving over the squeeze. The advantage of a squeeze is if you decide to take your jet boil for coffee or hot chocolate it's easier to fill and it's also nice to drink water out of a cup once in a while.

Have you used the inline?? Just asking....Its much faster to dip and have it filter as you drink when you are on the go rather than waiting a minute or 2 for a couple of liters to fill into your bladder. Plus the inline works just fine as a gravity filter in the tipi if you hang it from the center pole and turn it on/off as needed. Can't do that with the squeeze, after trying both NO WAY would I use a squeeze, not cause of the weight savings (though they are lighter than any pump filter by a long shot) but because of the convenience on the go and the ability to have a 3 liter gravity filter that I don't have to hold or squeeze into a cup. Not only that but the squeeze bags aren't nearly as durable as a true bladder.

Yeah maybe it boils down to personal preference. I used an inline for a couple of years and it worked fine. But I didn't like it as well as the versatility of the squeeze. Another problem is the way I hunt, sometimes I won't take my entire pack on a short day hunt. If I just take a fanny pack then the inline won't work because I can't fit a hydration bladder in my fanny pack. With the squeeze I can just take the filter and a 1 liter bag and good to go. So for my hunting style it just seems to fit.

dotman

WKR
Honestly, the closer to the bite valve you can stand it the better, then when you use it as a gravity filter the further away it is from the bladder the more head pressure you have and the faster it filters. Not sure exactly how far mine is from the bite valve....I'll try to dig up a pic and show ya where I have it....obviously its a personal preference thing and I just randomly put it about in that location but it seemed to work out alright.

Perfect, thanks, I think it'll be pretty slick to use it for both options this coming year.

dotman

WKR
I looked at getting the squeeze and to me it seems like it would be a hassle. I like the idea of an inline, could be a big weight saver over my hiker pro. Only thing I wonder is if people have problems with them freezing?

Don't forget for $5 you can get the inline adapter kit for the squeeze and use it both ways.

dotman

WKR
Have you used the inline?? Just asking....Its much faster to dip and have it filter as you drink when you are on the go rather than waiting a minute or 2 for a couple of liters to fill into your bladder. Plus the inline works just fine as a gravity filter in the tipi if you hang it from the center pole and turn it on/off as needed. Can't do that with the squeeze, after trying both NO WAY would I use a squeeze, not cause of the weight savings (though they are lighter than any pump filter by a long shot) but because of the convenience on the go and the ability to have a 3 liter gravity filter that I don't have to hold or squeeze into a cup. Not only that but the squeeze bags aren't nearly as durable as a true bladder.

Oh yes you can with the squeeze :). I have two of the adapter kits to make my squeeze an inline for my hydration and gravity bag plus can use it to filter in its normal fashion. I'll have my hydration line on my 2L dromedary setup to filter as I drink out of the squeeze and then in camp I'll have my 10L and 6L dromedary bags setup with the adaptor for the squeeze by using the MSR spigot. So I'll just have to use the 1 squeeze filter between the two which is simple to do by disconnecting it from the adapters.

Last edited:

DEW

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Floorguy will that set up work as a gravity system or do you still have to squeeze the water through the filter?

dotman

WKR
Hey Floorguy will that set up work as a gravity system or do you still have to squeeze the water through the filter?

Yup it works the same as the inline filter with the adapters.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Oh yes you can with the squeeze :). I have two of the adapter kits to make my squeeze an inline for my hydration and gravity bag plus can use it to filter in its normal fashion. I'll have my hydration line on my 2L dromedary setup to filter as I drink out of the squeeze and then in camp I'll have my 10L and 6L dromedary bags setup with the adaptor for the squeeze by using the MSR spigot. So I'll just have to use the 1 squeeze filter between the two which is simple to do by disconnecting it from the adapters.

Never said you couldn't use the squeeze as a gravity. Just saying from using both the squeeze is a PITA to fill compared to a big zip, and the bags aren't as durable, saw one spring a leak in person on the 2nd trip out, that was enough to tell me that they just aren't up to the abuse that I put my bladders through. Its personal preference but you couldn't get me to use a squeeze filter ever again over an inline. Just creates extra steps in the filtering. I also don't wanna swap back and forth when fittings and what not. Fill up the dromedary gravity style from the big zip if I need to and move on. Again just a different approach I like the simple/fast and not having to hold and squeeze all the time to get my water out. And on the go a simple one or two dips and the bladder is full rather than trying to fill through the smaller openings of threaded caps.