Water filtering/purification – which to choose?

Sportsman247

Lil-Rokslider
Just about any of the name brand filter systems will work. My only advice is not to use these during late season hunts as they will definitely freeze and then are no good. For my late season hunt this past season, steri pen was the life saver.

RokSteady

FNG
Is there a concern of freezing with the Sawyer Squeeze, like there seems to be with the minis?

If you did freeze it up, it seems you might be able to run some heated water into it right?

Kvan-mt

FNG
I've been using the platypus Gravity works system and love it. I usually fill the 4L bag and leave it at camp and use a 2-3 L bag for my hydration system. I used a Katdyn but got sick of having to pump for water. The platypus system was definitely an upgrade its super light and doesn't require any pumping.

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
I reviewed the lifestraw mission gravity filter for trailspace a few years back. You can find my review there and some videos on youtube I did.

it’s a big fail IMO.

i would recommend the regular sawyer squeeze, a steripen, and a msr guardian. My two favorite are the guardian and the steripen. I choose one or the other depending on the trip. The guardian is the cats meow in the world of filters but is a heavier and more expensive option .

i have had numerous sawyer filter models fail for a variety of reasons. They do work well for a time, and are light and cheap.

steripens are light and fast, but rely on batteries.

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
Is there a concern of freezing with the Sawyer Squeeze, like there seems to be with the minis?

If you did freeze it up, it seems you might be able to run some heated water into it right?
Yes there is, and technically that would work, however, the integrity of the filter cant be verified after freezing and should be replaced.

Boblee

FNG
Sawyer mini goes everywhere with me. Just don’t let it freeze.

Stay away from life straw. I know a guy on another board who works in water treatment for a municipality and he says life straws should be banned. They are not effective and do not work as advertised... according to him.

I have a lot of filters but for backcountry hiking, a sawyer mini is adequate. I also have a few katadyns. Just remember you need charcoal to remove chemical contaminants. Sawyer mini is good for bacteria but not chemicals which may be present.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I know this is late and an older thread but I have worked in wastewater treatment as well , both as an operator and as the person in charge and I can't think think of anything I have done or know or certifications gained that would remotely qualify me to say anything about any commercially available filtering devices efficacy, admittedly I don't know the person your taking about or what type or size plant he works at or even what his role is but I would be skeptical. This being said it is important to choose your filter type based on your location for use. Not every filter out there is appropriate for every specific region, what you need in the high country is different than what you need around lots of agriculture.

CoStick

WKR
I use the befree, so simple and efficient. I also carry tablets for back up and use with electrolytes

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for the First Need XL. Its a few ounces heavier but in a class above the rest. It also will screw on top of a 32oz nalgene to eliminate some hosiness.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I’ve always used an MSR sweet water pump, as it just gives me piece of mind. I know a lot of guys use the Sawyer but looking at the size difference in the filter, I can’t help but think the MSR is going to filter more stuff for more times. I hate pumping water sometimes though! Filling a 4L dromedary bag to have at camp is a chore with a pump style filter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
I've been using a system from MSR that is a 10 liter bag with filter underneath it. It's pretty darn light and very handy to have if you have running water near you. I have also used it as a water bladder in my pack when my other water carrier went bad. It's nice to get enough water at one time to fill everyone water needs for a day, or my own for several days.

My back up is a steripen. That's for when I'm out and about and need water now.

Then I always have aquatabs.

It also depends where I am going. Some areas do not have running water so I need to pull water out of a small pool with a pump. I don't like pumps. But when I need them, they are useful.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Rokwiia

WKR
A lot depends on the source of the water being filtered. A mountain stream is different than a pond. Also, I recommend always having two means by which to filter water. Two is one and one is none.

I live in an area where I can always source moving water. I use the Katadyn Befree as my main means to filter, because it is quick, and the Sawyer Mini as a backup.

If I was sourcing from still water, such as a pond, in a region where there has been cyanobacteria (toxic) found in the water, one of the only filters I'm aware that will safely remove it is a Sawyer S3. I would only use the S3 to filter water.

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
Platypus gravity for spike camp, or when going with a couple other guys.
Sawyer mini when solo hunting and/or keeping everything on my back day after day.
Steripen when the daytime temp stays below freezing.

Phaseolus

WKR
I had a MSR Sweetwater for years but it finally wore out. For the last two years I’ve carried the MSR Guardian. It’s much faster at pumping and self flushes on every pump. As mentioned above it is expensive and heavier (17 ounces). It’s great around camp. I also have a sawyer mini that
I carry for light day trips and also have one in my mountain biking pack. They are cheap enough you can have more than one.