Water Filters

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Will the Hiker Pro attach to an MSR Dromedary bag hydration tube kit?

What filter do ya'll use?

If you also get a quick connect adapter from camelback, and attach it to the MSR hose, you should be GTG. I use a hiker pro, unless I am going UL, then I just take the Steripen and a Nalgene (Chlorine tabs for backup).

dotman

WKR
I'm going with the sawyer squeeze filter this year, sweatwater drops as a backup.

Lawnboi

WKR
I have a hiker pro, and an MSR miniworks. Along with tablets, but i usually have both.

My hiker failed my last trip, something inside the filter broke, and couldnt be fixed. On a good note katadyn replaced the housing no questions asked, but i was stuck drinking water with alot of floaters in it, with only tabs. It kind of sucked. The seal on the inside of the housing failed, iv heard of this happening a few times. Other than that the katadyn did a good job when it worked, and it does come with an adapter to fit nalgene sized caps.

Now after that happened i went out and got an msr microworks. Srews right into the drom bags, eliminating uneeded hosing and saving some weight. But the best part about the msr is that its TOTALLY field maintainable. I can have a kit in the car to replace basically all the parts myself if needed, orings element seals, you name it. Also with the MSR if the filter element clogs like all of them do, you can clean it off and its usable again. All this can be done in the field. Iv always been a big fan of msr products and this one impressed me as much as all the others iv used.

I would really like to try the sawyer but theres alot of places i get water where i dont want to go dipping my nice bladder in and filling it up with poo water, seems like bacteria would just grow, and to be honest there are some places iv got water where i couldnt really dip a bladder in. Now if your only taking water from clean mountain streams i would definetly consider it.

Another option is to get a quick disconnect as mentioned and plug it right into the end of your water bladder hose. This way you can leave your bladder in your pack and fill it up right through the hose you drink from

dotman

WKR
If possible you may want to dig a small hole off to the side of nasty water sources, let nature filter out the floaters and the sediment settles quickly, then you can just add drops.

I like the Katadyn Units and I did a cost comparison btw the units and this is what I came out with:

I like the Katadyn units and this is what I figured out in my research and price comparison. These are the units I looked into:
1. Katadyn Pocket(up to 13,000gal before filter change) MSRP $370 and Filter MSRP $200.

Katadyn Pocket video

2. Katadyn Mini(up to 1,850gal before filter change) MSRP $110 and Filter MSRP $60.

3. Katadyn Hiker Pro(up to 300gal before filter change) MSRP $85 and Filter MSRP $50.

4. Katadyn Hiker (up to 200gal before filter change) MSRP $70 and Filter MSRP $50.

Those were the models that I had to choose from and this is how I chose the model that I did.
1. The hiker was a GREAT price at $70 but it only lasted 200gal compared to the pocket which is 13,000gal. So I would need 65 filter to last the length of the pocket which would cost me $3250.

2. Next was the hiker pro which is a step up from the hiker and can connect directly to a hydration system like a camelbak which I like but only last 300gal before a filter change and compared to the pocket that is 43 filter and that would cost me $2150.

3. Now the Mini which is nice and light and small for packing which is a plus and the filter last 1,850gal. But it would take too long for 2 people to use and I would need 7 filter to last as 1 pocket for a cost of $420 which is not too bad.

4. And not for the one I choose the Pocket. It last up too 13,000gal and comes with a “LIFETIME WARRANTY” so if it ever does happen to break they will fix it for free and it is very solid. Now for the cons on this one. It is a little larger than some and weight a little more at 10″ high and 20oz. A MSRP of $370 and for the filter is is MSRP $200.

I choose the pocket because it will last probably a lifetime for me before I had to change the filter:) I could use it in a nice mountain stream or in a pond with out a problem. It does cost a bit more in the beginning but I will have to change the filters as much. The other filters will work great but the dirtier the water the less gal you will get out of the filter.

Rod

Lil-Rokslider
MSR mini works, I like to be able to drop the hose into any pocket of water & start pumping directly into my dromelite bag or nalgene bottle.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have the Katadyn Vario, and I really like it. The adjustment setting is nice, even if your hands can get a little wet sometimes. I have filtered some pretty questionable water sources and come out just fine. I also carry tablets with me, just in case it breaks.

The beauty of the Vario is the number of ways it is equipped to fill different water systems. It screws directly onto any standard Nalgene(and most imitations), and also has two separate water ports for Camelback's of different size hoses. One of the ports pumps it in from the hose that you drink from. Very convenient for fast refills.

Last edited:

DaveS

Lil-Rokslider
I have a number of filters including a Katadyn Pocket, MSR Sweetwater, Steripen and an Aquamira Frontier Pro but I've settled on the Sawyer filter. I use it as a gravity filter for the most part but in a pinch I can hook it up to my bladder or just stick one end in the water source and use it like a straw.

I would really like to try the sawyer but theres alot of places i get water where i dont want to go dipping my nice bladder in and filling it up with poo water

I don't put dirty water in my bladder if I can help it. I carry a "dirty" bag. I use a 3L Platypus Big Zip (3.5 oz) or a 4L Platypus Dirty Reservoir (3 oz). I haven't done this yet but the following video shows a lightweight scoop for getting water from hard to reach or questionable water sources. The scoop also allows you to easily run the water through a coffee filter before it enters your dirty bag to handle any debris in the water. I got the idea for my system from this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSYWoplv_Uo&feature=player_embedded#!

Sawyer complete water treatment system. It worked great. It's a gravity system that doesn't take much time at all to filter water.