Water filtration around range cattle

koppertop

FNG
I recently scouted a good looking area that I would like to return and hunt. Unfortunately the few water sources I found were hammered by range cattle. There were cow pies in and adjacent to the water, trampled muddy ground etc. That said the water was flowing crystal clear, no sediment or murkiness whatsoever. Small mountain springs/streams that are 1-2 feet across.

Would you do anything different in such a situation with regards to water filtration, or just filter as usual and don't worry about it? I was shocked and a bit disappointed to find range cattle in this high mountain basin but the deer sign looks good so I'll likely head back. My backcountry water sources thus far have been free of anything that has made me think "yuck!"

Thanks
KT

Bbrinks

FNG
I would just filter as usual, and add an inline charcoal filter or mix in some drink powder if the taste was off

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Has this happen a few times, definitely made me nervous at first. I just used a Steripen and never had an issue.

Partner and I had a similar situation a couple of years ago. I used my Hiker Pro and he used a Steripen. Neither one of us had issues with either set up. A little unnerving but no harm noticed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HawkCreek

Lil-Rokslider
I treat it the same. Does anyone think other animals besides cattle don't shit in the water?