Water filtration, purification, and management

dsotm223

FNG
Im new to back country hunting, so Im trying to plan how Im going to manage, purify and filter water.
Im thinking take a couple water bladders 1 to store and haul bulk water, 1 for purified, and then take a nalgene to carry drinking water.
My question is whats best to purify/filter, tabs, steripen, gravity filtration? What do you all like? And what management system works best for you?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

I use a Katadyn Hiker pump filter at base camp and carry an MSR Trailshot filter in my daypack. After filtration I add Aquamira liquid drops as an extra precaution. Water availability is pretty good in the areas I hunt, so I don't really need the ability to store large volumes. One 100 oz bladder and one 32 oz Nalgene is enough for me.

Warmsy

WKR
I usually carry a3L bladder, a nalgene, and the katadyn filter. It's really hot and dry in California, so this year I'm bringing an extra 6 L bladder and purification tabs now that I've experienced explosive diarrhea after filtration.

mlgc20

WKR
If I’m out solo, I typically use a Katadyn BeFree 1L setup with a 3L bladder for clean water. If I’m with others, I have a Katadyn 10L Gravity Camp filter.

FlyGuy

WKR
Lots of threads on this topic you can research. I’ve tried about everything and I like the steripen the best (the one that comes with a nalgene cap prefilter). I’ve just had too much trouble with pump filters busting seals when the water is too murky. I keep tablets with me as backup. Not what you want to use all too often, but a super light backup that can keep your hunt going if your primary method craps out on you.

I also have a platypus camp water system for use in a base camp and it is the bees knees if you have 2-3 guys at a backcountry base camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider
Where are you hunting? If you’re up in the mountains with clean water just use a steripen. If you need to filter the water then use a katadyn.

Unless you’re solo having 1 person carry a pen and the other carry a Katadyn is hard to beat.

If you know there is water were your going , Hike in with a big bottle of gatorade or Powerade. When its drank , use the bottle for drinking water and bring Platypus bags of your choice size to fill once your in. I bring a 3Land a 2L and Katadyn pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
I’m doing exactly what Drenalin said above this year.
I have a 3L bladder in my pack (sourcetactical - I love it), a Sawyer filter, and a smartwater bottle.
Last year I used the dirty water bags that come with the Sawyer, but they kept busting open at the seams.So this year I’m going to try out the CNOC bag for dirty water since I’ve heard good things. Then I keep a few water filtration tablets in my first aid kit just incase.
Used the above system for a few weeks last year, and it worked flawlessly (apart from the Sawyer bags). Only thing to remember is bring your filter inside your sleeping bag at night because they can crack if they freeze.

I’m doing exactly what Drenalin said above this year.
I have a 3L bladder in my pack (sourcetactical - I love it), a Sawyer filter, and a smartwater bottle.
Last year I used the dirty water bags that come with the Sawyer, but they kept busting open at the seams.So this year I’m going to try out the CNOC bag for dirty water since I’ve heard good things. Then I keep a few water filtration tablets in my first aid kit just incase.
Used the above system for a few weeks last year, and it worked flawlessly (apart from the Sawyer bags). Only thing to remember is bring your filter inside your sleeping bag at night because they can crack if they freeze.

Same here. I would suggest picking up either the Source UTA or the Sawyer fast fill adapter so you can backfill the bladder without removing it from the pack.

With the UTA youll need a bladder hose with a quick disconnect and filter to a smartwater bottle first, and then backfill from the sw bottle to UTA to bladder. With the fastfill adapter on the sawyer you go directly from dirty bag to filter to backfilling bladder. I believe the sawyer fastfill comes with everything you need to add a qd to your bladder hose and you filter directly from dirty bag>sawyer>bladder all in line. Either way, being able to fill your bladder while its still in the pack is worth the $10-$20.

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
Same here. I would suggest picking up either the Source UTA or the Sawyer fast fill adapter so you can backfill the bladder without removing it from the pack.

With the UTA youll need a hose with a quick disconnect and filter to a smartwater bottle first, and then backfill from the sw bottle to UTA. With the fastfill adapter on the sawyer you go directly from dirty bag to filter to backfilling bladder. I believe the sawyer fastfill comes with everything you need to add a qd to your bladder hose and you filter directly from dirty bag>sawyer>bladder all in line. Either way, being able to fill your bladder while its still in the pack is worth the $10-$20.
Agreed! I have the Sawyer fast fill adapter so I can fill my bladder without ever taking it out. Works great!

Windigo

Lil-Rokslider
I carry an MSR Miniworks, bladder with hose, and a dromedary bag, in addition to a misc water bottle. I can screw the Miniworks on to a nalgene or MSR bladder, or I can remove the mouthpiece from a bladder and attach the hose to the output on the filter. If the filter clogs from particulates in the water, I can disassemble and clean the crud. I used to use iodine tablets, until I read that they do not have 100% effectiveness against crypto/giardia.

*zap*

WKR
This is like a 'what pack frame is best' question....yes, you can and should do your research and start with what you think will be best for you but it also helps to try different methods. One thing to consider is the 2 is 1 principle. So, you find the filter/method that works best for you and then find a second very e-z to carry method to provide clean water. Maybe iodine tablets.....lifestraw makes a 2 part filter (one part does chemicals) that fits in a nalgene. It is pretty light and I carry it trail hiking along with a 1/2 liter nalgene and a liter nalgene that have water in them. If I really need more water then I just need to get to the lake or a pond/source. Another thing is that coffee filters make very good pre filters to use and will extend your real filters life or give you more use between cleanings.

Katadyn hiker is a pretty good filter to start with as are the sawyers....but there are quite a few others.
The dromedary bags are pretty awesome and come in 3 sizes and two different weight fabrics...I made a shower adapter for mine.

gelton

WKR
BeFree 3L with a 5L MSR Dromedary a 3L Camelback and a Nalgene....if solo I will drop the 5L Dromedary.

It's overkill for sure, but I look at filling up and filtering water as a huge time suck in the backcountry so I would rather do it twice a week instead of daily....ESPECIALLY if you have to drop down to get it...call me lazy but I would rather carry more weight in and spend time hunting than worrying about water.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I have the Katayden Hiker Pro that works really well. Filled up a few 3L bags and we were ready to go.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

WMag338

WKR
I've had great luck with the Sawyer filters. Can screw them on a floppy plastic flask or water bottle or use it like a straw and drink straight from the source. I keep purification tabs just in case. I also keep a MSR Sweetwater pump to fill up my bladder or anything larger than a bottle.

vosco83

FNG
Im new to back country hunting, so Im trying to plan how Im going to manage, purify and filter water.
Im thinking take a couple water bladders 1 to store and haul bulk water, 1 for purified, and then take a nalgene to carry drinking water.
My question is whats best to purify/filter, tabs, steripen, gravity filtration? What do you all like? And what management system works best for you?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
From a mule deer packing trip experience this year having options is always good. We had a lack of water and found a wet bank and dug out a hole to use a pump filter style to obtain water. And the. Also had an issue with that and used a bladder fill gravity/ squeeze style later on since we found a creek to fill that up with. But for the most part just preference and knowing the area you are in. This year was a big learning curve.
best of luck.

Parker173

FNG
i use a platypus water filter you just fill up the dirty bag (holds 6L) and filter it into your water bladder. it works great and packs down to literally nothing. i think the kit is like 100-120$ but its totally worth it!