Water filtration question.

odin544

FNG
Memorial day weekend we spent the night in the woods trying out some gear we'd recently picked up. One of those items was the Platypus Gravityworks 4.0 system. I have never used one of these things, or any other brand for that matter to get drinking water. So I'm curious if the below picture is normal for the clean drinking water. 103332

It looked about the same as before it was filtered as far as color is concerned. We did boil it as we weren't sure.

I'm also wondering about a second filtration system. Is there one that's part of a water bottle? The GW 4.0 is great around camp, but want something more portable and smaller while on the move.

Thanks for any advice!

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
pro tip...if you add a koolaid packet you can no longer see discoloration.

seriously though. my sawyer mini does the same thing. water doesn't always come out clear. and i haven't died yet...

LionHead

WKR
pro tip...if you add a koolaid packet you can no longer see discoloration.

seriously though. my sawyer mini does the same thing. water doesn't always come out clear. and i haven't died yet...
Same here. Seems like water discolored from substances are stained like tea but the particulates are removed an I assume the bad stuff since I've never had an adverse reaction. Using sawyer minis and Source bladders in a grav bag set up like yours

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
O

odin544

FNG
Cool. Thanks guys. Just wasnt sure if that's what you got out of those. I did taste some before boiling and it seemed fine. Didnt taste like bottle water but didnt taste bad either.

Backyard

WKR
Unless your filter element is a charcoal media filter, it isn't going to remove color or taste. It will remove the bad stuff that will ruin your trip tho: Cryptosporidium and Giardia.

I use a kaytadine hiker pro and yes my water looks same as yours ....never gotten sick so all is good I suppose.

Jimbob

WKR
Get a 2 litre dirty bag and set up up a quick disconnect on your bladder hose. That is an extremely lightweight setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jardo

WKR
The platypus membrane filter does not remove all sediment. Just the dangerous things like bacteria. Viruses do not normally live in surface water in the USA.

To remove color causing sediment and any chemicals that may be present, I run my water through a charcoal filter after it goes through the filter. I use a the carbon filter made by platypus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk