Water Filtration

toreilly

FNG
I just got back from a 5 day spring bear in Idaho and we ran into a water issue. A lot of the seasonal springs in the area we were in were dry and nearest water was over a half mile away. We made it work but having to spend a couple hours a day getting water is a pain. I have an idea and wanted to see if anyone on here has tried this.

Sea to Summit makes a durable light weight water storage bag, The Watercell, a 6 L bag weighs in at 4.5 oz
I have a Katadyn 6L gravity filter, biggest problem with that is the transporting of water since its a roll top bag, especially half a mile in the Idaho mountains.

We could bring both, but with backpack hunting as we all know ounces= pounds, pounds= pain. Has anyone ever tried putting the Katadyn gravity filter cap and filter (they are attached) onto one of the Sea to Summit Watercells? Before I buy one I was wondering if anyone else had tried this. If it works this could extend how far from a water source you could camp, spend 1 day getting water and be set for 4-5 days, especially if everyone in your camp brought along a watercell. Just a thought, if you have any input, it would be appreciated.

Summary, will the Katadyn water filter cap threads fit the Sea to Summit watercell threads?

link for sea to summit watercell: https://seatosummitusa.com/collections/water-trash-storage/products/watercell-st
link for katadyn gravity filter: https://www.katadyn.com/us/us/428-8019160-katadyn-gravity-camp-6L_usa

bsnedeker

WKR
I'd just call S2S and find out the size and threads on the watercell, then call katadyn and see if they match.

OP
T

toreilly

FNG
I'd just call S2S and find out the size and threads on the watercell, then call katadyn and see if they match.

I tried that, Katadyn has to call the headquarters in Switzerland and email me an answer, which they said could take a while and Sea to Summit doesn't have a phone number on their website, only an online inquiry form. I'm waiting on answers from both companies right now. But when I have an idea like this I get impatient so I figured I would reach out and see if anyone here had tried it yet.

Htm84

WKR
S2S says they use industry standard threads = same threads on a nalgene. If you already have the katadyn try screwing it to a nalgene. I’ve never used the S2S bags but use the msr dromedary bags which use the same threads as a nalgene.

OP
T

toreilly

FNG
S2S says they use industry standard threads = same threads on a nalgene. If you already have the katadyn try screwing it to a nalgene. I’ve never used the S2S bags but use the msr dromedary bags which use the same threads as a nalgene.

Awesome thank you. Just curious, were you able to call them or did they reply to your online question that fast?

Htm84

WKR
Awesome thank you. Just curious, were you able to call them or did they reply to your online question that fast?

the link you have from S2S says they use industry standard threads and industry standard is what nalgene uses. The filters I’ve used all fit on a nalgene. If S2S used some oddball threads they’d say proprietary or something like that. I’m not 100% sure what that katadyn uses. But if it’ll fit a nalgene it should fit the other as well.

OP
T

toreilly

FNG
the link you have from S2S says they use industry standard threads and industry standard is what nalgene uses. The filters I’ve used all fit on a nalgene. If S2S used some oddball threads they’d say proprietary or something like that. I’m not 100% sure what that katadyn uses. But if it’ll fit a nalgene it should fit the other as well.

Wow, I completely missed that, thank you.

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
One of the best items i ever purchased was the S2S 20L collapsible bucket. Makes those water carries a one time trip for the most part. Hang it up at camp and have plenty of water to use. You can easily carry 15L or so in it without spilling while walking. If you were to fill it full to 20L you would probably end up with 15ish by the time you got to where you were going if you had a half mile to go. Have done several 1/4 and 1/2 mile trips with it and i have been completely satisfied. You definitely need to hang it up on something because it will most definitely tip over eventually if not supported.