Water Hole Advise

WVELK

FNG
I have very little experience setting at water holes for elk. I think I have done it twice in 25-30 years. However, I expect to be at water holes or tanks this year because I am hunting earlier than normal. For those of you that have a experience and success, how about throwing me some tips. The time elk came to a water hole (7-9 elk), I seem to recall them being pretty cautious in the water.

When is a good time to get your bow back. After they have settled some? When they are just about to enter? Some other time?

Spike elk

WKR
I think water really depends on the area. One area that I have hunted has water everywhere. Finding a good trail is much more productive than water. Another area that I hunt water is scarce. Sitting on or near water is money. Actually, had the most luck sitting in a saddle that they move through to get to water. My rule of thumb is drawing at the first good opportunity, you may not get another chance. When I see them coming and are behind a tree or other obstacle. It sucks to have them in your lap but not being able to draw.

Scoutman

FNG
I hunt water alot every year as my chosen unit is very dry this year is no exception so far. I let conditions dictate drawing etc. If your in a tree, your golden. If on ground, make good hide and draw from behind it, etc. Just use same principles you use if you deer hunt. Food for thought, the elk in my area, seem to have a 3 day pattern so to speak. So if I see them in a valley one day, they usually are in next valley next day and so on. I hunt near alot of private so that might be why they do it? Point being as we usually sit a waterhole for 3 sits before we give up on it and move on.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Water is deadly in the right areas a couple thing's I'd mention.

1. A tree is much better than the ground. In a tree, you can pretty much do anything without getting busted. It would take alot for them to look up at you, alot.

2. Make sure you know what the thermals are doing near the water. Set up on the side or downwind side if possible. Contrary to what many think, elk do not come to the pond from downwind all the time but it's always best to play that side.

3. If you can tolerate a little height, and the angle allows, get up 15+ feet. Depending on terrain, any downwind elk coming in may make it without winding you. Big "Maybe" there.

4. Time of day, best times will be mornings, and evenings. First and last two hours reason being is the wind should be about dead, and your're normally dealing with thermals at that point, and not winds.

5. I guess it really depends on the areas, but I find elk are not cautious at all coming to water. Many times they are running in. Seriously, running. I've seen them come down a ridge so fast to the water it was liked someone spooked them on the other side.

6. I always say take the first good shot, but if they commit, you have all the time in the world normally. Relax.

7. At times I will call, not much, a calf or mew etc. Mostly if I see elk out of range.

8. Lastly, when you climb the tree, and if in range of the waterhole, bring a couple decent sized rocks up with you, baseball size. When you see a bull pass out of range and you throw a couple mews his way and he doesn't respond, out come the rocks and throw them at the water. Trust me on that one.

Good luck.

OP
W

WVELK

FNG
5. I guess it really depends on the areas, but I find elk are not cautious at all coming to water. Many times they are running in. Seriously, running. I've seen them come down a ridge so fast to the water it was liked someone spooked them on the other side.

This is exactly what happened to me in my one time experience. At about 125 yards out the elk literally started running like something was chasing them from behind! The never even slowed at the waters edge. This was a big water hole, about 60 yards wide. As soon as the elk jumped in they kept coming and even though I was well hidden in a juniper blind, the several cows were literally in my lap within seconds. About 5 yards away.

I should have waited and tried to get my bow back later. Made a rookie mistake and tried to get bow back with elk too close.

Scoutman

FNG
Water is deadly in the right areas a couple thing's I'd mention.

1. A tree is much better than the ground. In a tree, you can pretty much do anything without getting busted. It would take alot for them to look up at you, alot.

2. Make sure you know what the thermals are doing near the water. Set up on the side or downwind side if possible. Contrary to what many think, elk do not come to the pond from downwind all the time but it's always best to play that side.

3. If you can tolerate a little height, and the angle allows, get up 15+ feet. Depending on terrain, any downwind elk coming in may make it without winding you. Big "Maybe" there.

4. Time of day, best times will be mornings, and evenings. First and last two hours reason being is the wind should be about dead, and your're normally dealing with thermals at that point, and not winds.

6. I always say take the first good shot, but if they commit, you have all the time in the world normally. Relax.

7. At times I will call, not much, a calf or mew etc. Mostly if I see elk out of range.

8. Lastly, when you climb the tree, and if in range of the waterhole, bring a couple decent sized rocks up with you, baseball size. When you see a bull pass out of range and you throw a couple mews his way and he doesn't respond, out come the rocks and throw them at the water. Trust me on that one.

Good luck.
You hit it dead on, great post.

Pwells10

WKR
Be weary....I've sat water in mornings had nothing come in and sit evenings and nothing come in. Check cams and had 3 different bulls on the pond at 2pm. I'm guessing after getting their cows to bed they came in.

Scoutman

FNG
We ran into the same thing in a valley, 3years ago, bulls were coming by from noon to 2pm. Good point.

Elk areas can be vastly different but one of the issues during the day is the wind. If you're in a flat area, not much for mountains, and the wind blows one direction all day with very little disturbance from terrain, mid day can be very good.

In the areas I've hunted, i.e valleys, draws, etc, the wind never holds so sitting mid day is very frustrating as nothing can get close to you without picking you off. Elk will come in mid day, no question especially when near dark timber, but man, those winds will give you up many times and send them running.

My first years elk hunting I remember sitting all day, and saw 3 different bulls that one afternoon all coming in, but it never happened thanks to the wind. I've never sat during the day again unless I can find a place where the wind holds which is very rare.

Good luck, and enjoy the show.

Beendare

WKR
Good posts Covey.....my experience in the mountains has been iffy. When the wind and thermals are swapping around....fuggetit, it's a waste of time.

_____