Water-proof vs. Water-resistant headlamp

Seems like most headlamps are only water resistant. Now I have no plans to be hiking around at night in the rain, but if need be is a resistant headlamp going to crap out on me? Who here has killed a water resistant headlamp in the rain?

2rocky

WKR
I've had 3 headlamps I've used training in night runs in a lot of rain in the winter. Never had any issues with moisture.

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
as long as you don't submerge a water resistant headlamp you should be ok. its the water pressure from being submerged that causes them to leak and fail. A quality made headlamp that is "water resistant" should be able to handle rain no problem, many can also take brief submersion but I wouldn't press my luck

slim9300

WKR
I can tell you that Zebralights are truly waterproof. :)

I have an old Pezel Tikka that's about half as bright as it was new. Maybe it got wet too many times. IDK. :) I do live in the Pacific Northwest.

S

Salmo-Priest

Well My Zebra Light went through the washing machine. 56 minutes of water and suds and i pulled it out turned it on... Its bomber no doubt. Zebra Light goes in the bush with me. I give all my plastic headlamps to my grand daughter to play with.

slim9300

WKR
Well My Zebra Light went through the washing machine. 56 minutes of water and suds and i pulled it out turned it on... Its bomber no doubt. Zebra Light goes in the bush with me. I give all my plastic headlamps to my grand daughter to play with.

Lol.

dotman

WKR

Haha, that is a way to test it out.

S

Salmo-Priest

Yea I'd like to see a Petzel or a Princeton pass that test... :) Every time I get a couple beers in me I think about the truck and running over the Zebra light several times in the driveway. One time at bear camp :) I hit a bear in the lungs right at dark when i got to the POI I found some blood. Thick as hell blackberries everywhere. Kept hearing something about 15yds away. In a panic I tore into my pack reached in and grabbed my Petzel by the strap. Pulled that sucker out and it hung up on something. So i pulled harder! Pow! That sucker exploded and batteries pummeled my face!!! In a panic with a wounded bear hopefully dying at 15yds in the dark I was rendered light less with a fat lip. Tried frantically to get that Petzel to work. Yea I got the hell outa there!! :) Came back later with help and bigger lights! LOL Three days later I ordered my Zebra Light. It simply isn't gonna let a guy down. My 2cents is someday that plastic crap is gonna leave a guy in a bind. You play with matches, sooner or later you'll get burned. Got several brands of plastic for fishin, working on cars, and for extra lights on fun nights with friends packing out meat from a kill. But I don't rely on them and never will.

tradair1980

Lil-Rokslider
I have had a water resistant energizer lamp for about 4 years now it has seen 3 late fall through winter of night running , triple diget days in the field and can say hasn't had a problem. So IMO resistant is more than enough