Water purification

Obsessed1

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for Input on your favorite filtration system for 2-3 people?. Currently I have a Msr mini works ex? (Or similar... its 15 years old now) and a katadyn hiker pro. I also often pack a life straw. Usualy the areas i pack into finding water is simple and plentiful so I try to carry only 2 liters in a hydration bag and a nalgene bottle and replentish as needed. This saves pack/ carrying weight, the old Msr, even with new ceramic filter seems to take a while to push a few liters through so I picked up the katadyn. Just wondering if there's a faster more effective lighter method for water purification ( no tablets....cant stand the taste) ? Thanks

scp

Lil-Rokslider
If filtration itself is a must, you have some pretty good systems already. If your water sources are clear running, perhaps consider just a purification unit like the steripen. I was a filtration loyalist for a long time because I just felt it did a better (safer) job. The mountain streams I sourced from really didn’t warrant a pump filter system, and I was far happier when I made the switch. Unless you’re drinking some highly questionable water, you can’t beat the ease of use and safety benefits of the steripen. After all, the Red Cross endorses them and uses them for disaster relief efforts.

Backyard

WKR
Forget the Sawyer Mini, way too slow. The Squeeze is far faster as a squeeze and your best bet is to either set it up to also use as a gravity system for back at camp. Or purchase a gravity system for camp like a Katadyn. And neither use batteries.

I’ve used many different filters, including the Katadyn hiker. My absolute favorite right now is the Sawyer Gravity system. Yes, I’ve had Sawyer Mini’s that were very slow but the Gravity system is much faster flowing.

mvrk28

WKR
I ditched the mini this year for a Katadyn hiker pump setup. Looks like a great option far. I also use a Lifestraw filter cap in my Nalgene.

I run the sawyer squeeze, with the quick connect attachment its a breeze. Can fill your hydration bladder without emptying out your pack. Keep a few spare empty bags (weigh next to nothing) allows you to grab water quickly when convenient and then filter when you have time or are at camp.

Filtration systems are too heavy, and too complicated ... I've used the Katatdyn filtration tablets for 3 years. 1 tablet per liter, 30 minute wait. No aftertaste. Simple, light, cheap, awesome. Backcountry.com has them on sale now for 30% off - just picked up a season's worth.

Backyard

WKR
Filtration systems are too heavy, and too complicated ... I've used the Katatdyn filtration tablets for 3 years. 1 tablet per liter, 30 minute wait. No aftertaste. Simple, light, cheap, awesome. Backcountry.com has them on sale now for 30% off - just picked up a season's worth.
My whole system weighs 8.1oz, I'm not sure I understand the thinking that fill-squeeze-drink is complicated. But I don't have the 30 min wait. Whatever works best though, everyone has different tastes.

LionHead

WKR
I ran the mini for about 3 years rigged up with quick release between 2 source bladders. This year I stepped up to a squeeze. Way faster, no moving parts.

This way if water is hundreds of feet down ill load 3L clean and 3L in the dirty bag and filter back at camp. I like being hydrated

Similar to the platypus system but more durable.
9a1b2a1336fb9b03d1e4bd359d8f45cc.jpg
582e18ade4a9f29a81941a4316a31a18.jpg
e59f2cbd4fc1ea325e12e483d51e6894.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Benny40

FNG
Sawer Squeeze for personal, then bring aqua tabs for big bladder camp water. Works pretty slick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simps

FNG
Depends on your water sources.
I had a Katadyn Hiker Pro the last few years and I would not recommend it for silty creeks. It got clogged so bad that each pump resulted in only a few drops of filtered water. I even tied a piece of cheese cloth to the end to help aid in eliminating the silt and that did nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk