Water sources

street

WKR
What's your guys opinion on how much more important water sources are to deer in the west as compared to deer in the midwest/wet climates.

I think the vegetation provides the deer a lot of hydration in those wet climates, how much is that the case out west do you think?

It depends on where you are hunting, saying out west is too broad. Here in Nevada water matters quite a bit since its pretty much a giant desert. Idaho, while it does have some dry places, has a lot of areas where there is plenty of water year around in about every drainage.

OP
street

street

WKR
Speaking specifically about deer, I have never even worried about water when I am hunting aspen conifer zone type habitat. Even if there is not much water up there, the deer still seem to be fine. I hunt several places I have to pack water into because there isn't any up there but there are a lot of deer. Just like said above water doesn't really come into play for muleys until it's more arid, desert type habitat.
That's pretty much what my observations say. I just find it weird that you hear a lot of people on podcasts and such saying scout the water sources. Those people must be hunting desert type country and not higher alt spots with good vegetation and moisture.

There is some high country that’s lower on water where it’s more of a factor. But yeah my experience is normally there’s at least one good creek in every drainage and it’s not normally that much of an issue up high.