water storage in sub freezing weather

Came home empty handed from deer season this year.(again) So Ive decided one way to extend my hunting season here in cali. is to take up late fall bear hunting. Ive began putting together gear for cold weather backpack hunts, but I was wondering what everyone here does for water storage in sub freezing weather. For the last 2 or 3 years, Ive had problems with frozen water bottles & bladders. This is in October in the sierras during deer season. Ive gone to using aquatabs to treat water, & Ive bought a couple of "outdoor research" bottle insulators, but I like to filter a lot of water all at once so I don't have to do it again for a day or so. An article I read in "backpacker magazine" suggested the bottle insulators & putting a bladder in a dry sack & storing it in the foot of my sleeping bag. Anyone else do this or what?

Lawnboi

WKR
Bottles and I just throw my msr bladder in my sleeping bag if its going to be that cold.

Before you throw it in boil a couple of cups of water and put it back in a bottle or bladder, keeps your feet toasty for hours.

2rocky

WKR
Insulated Camelbak hoses, Neoprene sleeves around reservoir, chemical hand warmers in Reservoir pocket, and on mouthpiece (usually in a pocket).

This won't help keep your water unfrozen but it is a useful tip...if there is the slightest chance your water might freeze do not fill your container all the way up.

When I was stationed in Germany, not the warmest place on earth in the winter, I filled my canteen all the way up prior to a patrol to keep it from making any sloshing noises. Well, I got a nice lesson in physics and a wet butt. When the water in the canteen started to turn to ice it expanded (remember that from high school science class) and forced the unfrozen water out of the canteen onto my jacket and pants. Trying to lay still in an ambush (be it for the enemy or an elk) is no fun with a soggy butt. :rolleyes:

Larry

OP
B
Thanx for the replies guys. Good info & I see myself using all of the above techniques. I was stationed in Germany myself over 25 years ago.
Hey 2Rocky,Im running a Highcamp this year, which has no sleeve. Ive never heard of neoprene sleeves for a bladder. Are these available somewhere or are you talking about a home made project? Now Im thinking I could slip one of my long pockets on to the bladder with a hand warmer.

I get a lot of practice at this during the winter. My temps may be a bit colder than what you are talking about, so bear that in mind...

I gave up on bladders when much below freezing at all. Just too much of a hassle to thaw out once they freeze and not worth the fiddle factor of trying to keep them from freezing in the first place. I use wide mouth nalgenes almost exclusively now because they can be frozen countless times without damage (assuming you leave a little airspace). Besides the OR insulators you have, another tip is to add a freeze depressant to the water. Sugar and salt both work well in that role... so I use Gatorade powder, which has both. Not only does it lower the freezing point, but it also causes the water to freeze as slush before going completely solid, which helps keep everything drinkable longer. Not great for making MH meals though. :)

Otherwise, if you really want to store water for the next day, you can boil (rather than filter) it, poor it into your Nalgene, and insulate it (in your sleeping bag or your OR insulator), and it should keep liquid for a long time. Besides, as previously mentioned a Nalgene of warm water in the bottom of your sleeping bag overnight is a great thing.

Yk

Last edited:

colonel00

WKR
Very interesting tips Yellowknife.

Anybody ever tried using Reflectix as a bladder or bottle insulator? I guess I could do a test as it is cold enough outside and I have some extra Reflectix lying around.

Lawnboi

WKR
I'll also add I don't carry camelback or platypus style bladders.

If it's going to be that cold it's a big msr bag with a standard nail gene cap and a water bottle or 2

Bughalli

WKR
In winter camping I use Nalgene bottles. They hold up better. I stopped using camel backs or bladders because the main water wouldn't freeze, but the hose and mouth piece would freeze really quickly. I assume you are using a ground bad, if not two ground pads since this is a winter trip. I can often put the bottles along the edge of my pad. Then put some clothes on the other side for insulation and to help keep them in place. I end up half sleeping on them through the night as I toss and turn. If it's really cold, then just keep them in your sleeping bag. I usually have them in insulated covers and keep one down by my feet. But I like the other suggestions people mentioned as well.

boom

WKR
Truck camping I use those insulated drink buckets. The kind the players dump on their coaches. You can boil a small pot of water and pour it in and the water will stay tepid for hours. The nozzle may freeze.. Make a decent hot shower as well.

Backpacking. Imstill struggling. My sleeping bag is roomier now tho. Great tips.

Randle

WKR
When you guys use a hard water bottle what do you use to stop the sloshing noise?

I use Camelbak all year. If it is cold, after you get a suck full of water you blow air back into it or stuff it into your shirt. If you are wearing your pack and burning fuel it doesn't usually freeze. GSI makes a stainless steel 'Nalgene' with a removable dummy-corded lid. You can set it in the coals of your fire and then cap it and place near your other water sources for the night. Throw some gear or clothing on it to help insulate. The down side is that it is heavy. The same company makes a canteen cup that you can warm water in and do a L in stages. I made a bail for mine to hang over the fire. These methods are dirty but work.

TEmbry

WKR
Once temps are consistently below freezing I switch to nalgenes only as well. Gatorade is a great tip too.

OP
B
been away from my computer for a few days but Ive kept up with all of your posts. I want to say thanx to all of you for the info. The coldest I will be is right about 0 deg. I think Im going to try my 6 lt. dromedary bag in the bottom of my sleeping bag for storage & to drink out of while hunting, using those tricks mentioned above & also my insulated bottles. If I decide bladders are too much of a hassle then I will maybe buy a couple of xtra nalgenes , & keep two in insulators & 2 in my sleeping bag. Thanx again guys.

OP
B
been away from my computer for a few days but Ive kept up with all of your posts. I want to say thanx to all of you for the info. The coldest I will be is right about 0 deg. I think Im going to try my 6 lt. dromedary bag in the bottom of my sleeping bag for storage & to drink out of while hunting, using those tricks mentioned above & also my insulated bottles. If I decide bladders are too much of a hassle then I will maybe buy a couple of xtra nalgenes , & keep two in insulators & 2 in my sleeping bag. Thanx again guys.
That didn't make any sense. Cant have the dromedary bag in camp storing water while its in my pack while hunting. So I will carry a smaller bladder during the hunt, store it empty in the dry sack with my 6lt. bag in the sleeping bag. There. Now I feel better.

Stid2677

WKR
Another tip is to flip your nalgene upside down for the night, they freeze from the top down. So if they are upside down in the morning when you flip it over the ice don't block the top.

I use thermacare heat wraps and throw one in a dry bag with my water at night or when it is not on me or in my sleeping bag. I had one leak in my sleeping bag so I now always keep them in an extra dry bag to be safe.