Water Storage

Vaultman

WKR
I am thinking about storing water in one of the platypus, hydropack, or MSR water storage bags (like the 6L ones) "long term" in my backpack in spot. I scouted and hiked in last year, but would like to go in further. I have not found a water source out there yet and will go looking for one this pre-season. (Last year I hiked back to the truck mid-season to refill.)
If I do not find a source though, I have been considering using one of these storage bags to store water up there from June (when I can get away) to October (my season). I know weather will get hot, and I worry a little about the durability of the bags.
I guess fist question is: Is this something people do / is accepted? (Or is it considered bad because you are not packing it out on the same trip?)
Second question: Are these water storage bags rated or safe for this?

ODB

WKR
An interesting question. Storing water for future use is an old, old practice. Personally I see nothing wrong with it provided you are conscientious enough to retrieve your bags, which it sounds like you are. Not sure what would be the best bag to use (check with the manufacturer), but I would consider burying the bags to keep them out of the heat. It would also likely help with the off flavor.

Phaseolus

WKR
I used to pack in 2.5 gallon plastic jugs to my spot in the West Elks. Don’t put them all in one spot so that when Mr. Bear finds it you won’t go thirsty. Ask me how I know...

Mosby

WKR
I don't think I would store water in the heat for that long. But if I did, I would probably use the MSR bag and I would make sure it is in shade and boil the water before drinking. I would also contact MSR to find out about long term storage and take extra water with me on the first trip in, just in case something happened to the water I stored.

I haven't done that long but from Aug to Oct I've just hiked in the 1 gallon jugs from the grocery store. They are sealed supposedly and maybe that helps.
Crush the jugs and pack out when done.

TradAg02

Lil-Rokslider
For those who find the need to stash water, where are the animals getting water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Beendare

WKR
Something to consider.......Water is life.
IME, Typically if there is no water in the spot you are hunting....its not a very good spot.

I have packed water from better sources down lower to high up on the Mtn as the water the animals were using up high was a nasty wallow that I didn't want to drink even after filtering and boiling. I used one of those 2.5g collapsable jugs.

OP
Vaultman

Vaultman

WKR
For those who find the need to stash water, where are the animals getting water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I know that the animals have found it. I see them there. I just haven't found a source yet.
I suspect I will this summer in scouting season, but I thought this may be a good approach, in case I don't.

Mt Al

WKR
I don't think I would store water in the heat for that long. But if I did, I would probably use the MSR bag and I would make sure it is in shade and boil the water before drinking. I would also contact MSR to find out about long term storage and take extra water with me on the first trip in, just in case something happened to the water I stored.

That's what I did, worked fine. Plus, I loaded up my wife with a few gallons to leave up high on our "enjoyable day hike"/pre season scout, saved me even more time. Still ran it through a filter before using. As with other posters, didn't put things in the same spot acted like a squirrel and had multiple storage locations. I wouldn't use a bag just due to not trusting pin hole leaks, inevitable pack rat, mouse or other rodent chewing through. That's just me, might work fine.

As for game not being where there's no water: I brought it up because i was scouting so why not, game are way tougher and run up and down to get a sip whereas it would take me out of the area for too long, was way more convenient overall.

ODB

WKR
In a more remote area with a small water source for the game you may not want to be going to that water source......

True. I’ll add to my above comment that I would take a treatment such as the Katidyn tabs for when I actually used the water. The Bushmen store water in buried ostrich shells and the plant that they use to plug the hole has a natural preservative to help protect the water.

I have had water go foul on me stored in milk jugs but to be honest I can’t say it was 100% clean to start with.

Check some prepper sites. I think they added a bit of bleach for longer term storage.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Half gallon juice jugs might be better than bags. More sturdy, about as light, and they don’t cause that bag taste. I like their shape and carry them because the only water in this country comes from town or the occasional cattle water tanks with algae, swampy pond, or nasty pool in the bottom of a coulee. No Rocky Mountain spring water. Critters are way less picky than I am.

I agree chlorine might be a good idea.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
When we build a short term water cache (hauling from low up to high to cover some days) I have a couple 2.5gal collapsible containers but I'd be leery on leaving them full for months and leeching. If I was carrying in from the trailhead I'd just grabs some of the rectangular screw top 1gal jugs of water at the grocery store and pack those in and hide in shady areas. Crush them and pack them out at the end.