Water systems

hello gents,

I am currently running a sawyer squeeze mini with two 1L bags, and a 1.5L nalgene.

Goes a little something like this, leave house with full 1.5L bottle, stopping and taking pack off for every drink. then when i come to a steam i can filter and fill 1.5L, then fill a bag and cap for a total of 2.5L on board. This process is somewhat tedious because of the mini and the bags.

I am dabbling with the idea of getting into a camelback type hose system.

What are you guys running? I like the idea of a dirty and clean bag, keeping the clean bag in the pack and filtering dirty water into it. any insight to this type of system or any other suggestions?

personally i found i go through water way to fast with a hose. out of sight out of mind i guess. i pack in a full 3l msr bag (80 percent of the time where i’m at in az there aren’t guaranteed water sources anyway) and keep a nalgene on my belt. i’ll prefilter with a coffee filter and use a steripen if i get a chance and top everything off.

reaperukon

Lil-Rokslider
My experience is from high country in Utah and Idaho. I’m usually in a group of 2-3 and we all have different means of carrying water. One guy used the sawyer, one guy used a pump system and I use the platypus system. I have a hydration bladder that I only keep partially full, but I can filter water straight into the bladder via the platypus. For group camping with boiling water needs, I think it’s the easiest and fastest. In 15 min we have 4L of clean water. We filter 2 right there at the water source and carry the 2 L dirty back to camp and let it filter while we eat. There’s no water collection in the morning, and we get straight to hunting/hiking. I’ve yet to find another system that works as well as this.

Hydration fights off a lot of the wear and tear we experience at high altitude. Combine that with high exertion and poor hydration will leave you toasted after 4-5 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hikenhunt

WKR
I have a 3L bladder and hose for most hunts. I don't think I'd drink enough if I had to take my pack off for every sip! I refill it with a sawyer squeeze. You could try the squeeze for a better flow rate than the mini.

If I know I'm in a dry area, I carry two or three 1L platypus bags and carry as dirty water to filter later.

3L camelbak big bite with backup hose that doubles as a gravity filter hose for the first need xl. I had a 3D printer fab an adapter for the xl to connect to the camelbak that's served me well in the dirt. I keep 2 of the 1 quart nalgene bottles in hill people gear pockets on the bottom of the rig just in case

jmez

WKR
3L Camelback with Sawyer mini in line. Clean or not source doesn't matter. Fill the bladder and go.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
sickles107
I ended up going with a platapus 2L hoser. I also got the quick fill splice, so I keep it in my pack and fill with 2 sawyer 1L bags. drinking water stays in the bladder, water for coffee and mountains house hangs out in a sawyer bag until i filter into my mug. have the potential to carry 4L total.

reaperukon

Lil-Rokslider
ad2ba65e74d4234c09f42230601f97af.jpg

Just finished a trip to Idaho. Took both the sawyer squeeze and the platypus. It was so nice to sit down eat some lunch and let the water take care of itself. Quick squeeze from the clean bag into the Nalgene and pack bladder in under a couple mins. Off to the races after that. I don’t like the bulk (it’s minimal, but when you are counting each ounce and cc...), but how easy it is at camp and on the trail I can’t beat it. Sawyer squeeze is a pain in the butt. Last thing I want to do when I’m taking a quick break to eat or enjoy where I am. I know it gravity feeds too....just not as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
These days my water system is based on the Platypus gravityworks filter. I use the 4L dirty bag, filter, and a 2L hydration bladder in the pack. I carry a 1L platypus bottle for regular drinking when I'm not wearing the pack. I can carry up to 7L with all of the above if I need to, and if I think I'll need even more capacity I can bring the 4L clean bag that came with the gravityworks kit, or a 4L or 10L MSR dromedary bag.
I've gotten away from bringing rigid bottles (Nalgene) on trips. They're nice to drink out of, but they're heavy and they don't pack well.