Water Systems?

evan711

Lil-Rokslider
Im trying to decide what to use for backcountry style hunting. I have a regular sawyer filter and was thinking about the platypus dirty and clean bag gravity system and also having a 48oz nalgene for backup in case a bladder popped or something. What do you guys run and why?

2l CNOC for dirty water and a 2L Wellax for my drinking bladder. Can get a bigger CNOC or two if hunting an area with scarce water. I have the sawyer quick connect on the hose to refill the bladder while in the pack.

I would not carry a bulky, 6oz nalgene as a backup. If anything, bring a second CNOC. It’s lighter and won’t take up space when not used.

Brendan

WKR
Nalgene and a steripen with extra batteries. Tablets as backup. Water bladder optional. I hated the Sawyer Squeeze, and haven't used my pump in a while.

Nalgenes are easy, and can be used for everything from coffee, to electrolyte and drink mix, or just water.

If I'm spike camping in an area with reasonably clean / flowing water and don't mind a little extra wieght, I have an MSR 10L gravity filter that's awesome.

Sportsman247

Lil-Rokslider
Nalgene, Steripen, and bladder in pack. If we have a few in camp, we run a gravity base 2 bag system.

Drenalin

WKR
Evernew 2L dirty bag, Sawyer Micro, 2L Camelbak bladder and fast fill setup. I also carry a Smartwater bottle for drink mixes, and I’ve got some Aquamira in my first aid kit as a backup.

Boog304

FNG
I run the platypus gravity system that you speak of and really like it. The bags/components are pretty tough so I wouldn’t worry about any “backup nalgene”. The whole system is smaller and lighter than an empty Nalgene bottle so unless you are really counting ounces it’s pretty slick.

I also have the source hydration bladder with the quick connections that allow easy fill from the platy clean water straight to the hydration bladder without removing the bladder. I like the whole system.

the steripen route would be lighter gut gravity systems work well for me.