Water treatment - One More Time

Where I hunt < and I know the area very well> there is no pristine running creeks...those creeks of course still carrying all internal bad bugs for your insides. I had a severe virus 4 years ago or so which I believe came from drinking bad water so now I am paranoid beyond belief. I have to filter water from a cattle pond where cows wade in drink, stand there and do their business.
I filtered the water AND added Aqua mira drops but still could see the oil film that exists in such High Country cattle "toilets". This season I carried in a full Dramadory 6L but thats not sufficient quantity for any extended stay. I went in and out 3.3 miles one way 5X this season and that really tear's your body down for continually producing a quality hunt for oneself.
This sheen in the water bugs the !@#$ out of me even though I am doing both filtering methods. Either I go elsewhere to hunt, which I do not wish to do or perhaps do the double purification and send it to a nearby Lab for testing which I do yearly for business purposes anyway. Signed Paranoid

mtnkid85

WKR
Are you asking a question?
Sounds like your covering your bases, the only thing you could really do is add a UV treatment to the list. I dont believe that will pick up the film your seeing though.
What filter are you using? Perhaps contact the manufacturer to look for a finer filter element.
I would sure think with the use of Aqua mira the water is going to be fine. It would be real interesting to have the lab test it, especially if you have access to that already.

Hope you figure something out, carrying 6l of water around isnt much fun.

Maybe a purifier that also removes trace minerals, pesticides, other toxins? Something like a Berkey (I think that they have a portable one and not the big stainless monster.) Even it it's a bit heavier than the regular filter, it's lighter, and certainly easier, than taking all of those trips for water.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Have you looked at the Katadyn Vario? It has a method for adjusting just how well you want to filter water. I filtered some nasty water with mine and I am still kicking. The running water went through a disgusting elk wallow as well as a place I am pretty sure some cows were using.

I will however say that my Vario had some problems and is currently in their shop being looked at. I will likely have a new one soon.

Beastmode

WKR
Have you looked at the Katadyn Vario? It has a method for adjusting just how well you want to filter water. I filtered some nasty water with mine and I am still kicking. The running water went through a disgusting elk wallow as well as a place I am pretty sure some cows were using.

I will however say that my Vario had some problems and is currently in their shop being looked at. I will likely have a new one soon.

I use the vario as well and so far it has worked flawlessly. I haven't pulled any water out of a cattle toilet though. The vario may filter that with it's carbon filter but I would definilty call katadyn and ask.

UV will not get rid of it, neither will drops. It's definitly something that would need to be filtered.... Not sure which one would definitly do it.

I found a pretty good write up on the REI site. I'll gather the multiple water treatments you are doing and making sure of good hygiene will kill the bugs so you don't get sick but getting the water filtered well enough to drink the water might be another combination on drinking from a cattle toilet. Does your filter have a carbon component to it? I'll gather that would help greatly on the taste part too. I have to say from your description I envision a nasty hole you have to get water from.

http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/water-treatment-backcountry.html