Water treatment

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
What’s everyone using for water treatment?

I’ve been using the steripen/nalgene combo with 6L drom-bags and dropping Aquatabs in for treatment. Being kind of over the taste of tablets, I’ve been wanting to try a gravity system. Anyone be interested in an article on the 10L MSR XL gravity flow system for camp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I've been using the Sawyer mini squeeze filter for quite a while. I have it set up so I can use it as a gravity system at camp. In Alaska I took the Platypus GravityWorks and it worked pretty well for a week with four guys. I would be interested to see how the MSR works for you.

Jardo

WKR
I’m water filter junky. Here’s my list.

Lightest: sawyer mini
Fastest: Katadyn Vario
Most robust: katadyn pocket
For big volume at camp: platypus gravity works.
Garbage filters I would never trust: life straw
Least reliable and flimsy: Msr miniworks

Best all around is the vario. It is fast, has ceramic and paper filter, and carbon for taste and chemicals. It’s only downfall is it’s bulky and somewhat heavy.

The sawyer is also acceptable for gravity camp duty. You can get an in-line carbon filter to polish your water and remove any chemicals that may be present. Especially if you are near any old mines.

I don’t like iodine tablets or bleach tablets. I would rather have a good filter..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What’s everyone using for water treatment?

I’ve been using the steripen/nalgene combo with 6L drom-bags and dropping Aquatabs in for treatment. Being kind of over the taste of tablets, I’ve been wanting to try a gravity system. Anyone be interested in an article on the 10L MSR XL gravity flow system for camp?

I’d be interested in the review I’ve been lookin at that filter for camp

Been using the Katadyn Hiker Pro and Aqua Mira drops as my back up for several seasons without issues. Purchased a SteriPen but can’t quite commit to trusting it on a trip. Still seems gimmicky to me and I’m more comfortable trusting my Hiker Pro.

CO-AJ

WKR
I just bought the MSR Trailshot, it filters everything but viruses. There is a company called Rapidpure that also takes out viral chances. They offer an inline filter and one similar to the lifestraw. I am thinking about putting the inline filter between the water pickup and the trailshot pump filter. That way I can catch viruses as well. Has anyone on the thread combined 2 filters like this to prevent having to carry a steripen. I always carry aqua mira as a backup.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
I use a Aquamira Frontier Pro in conjuction with Katadyn MicroPur tablets. The Frontier Pro can be used connected to a Smart Water bottle or at the end of a water bladder/reservoir. I drop a MicroPur tablet in a liter of water and the tablet will take care of all viruses and bacteria in approximately 15 minutes. In cold water the tablet takes up to 4 hours to break down cryptosporidium, giardia, and such but as these are larger the Frontier Pro filters them....plus the Frontier Pro eliminates the chlorine flavor. I've been using this combination for the last decade with success.

Block

WKR
Iv been using the MSR trailshot... I like it a lot .,, light ,,, fairly fast.. no issues yet..

MSR trailshot and their pump. Didn't like either switched to steripen but haven't used it in the field.

2rocky

WKR
the Katadyn's I used clogged with glacial silt and wouldn't back flush. The MSR's I've had would backflush. I made my own gravity filter with MSR bag and a Sawyer filter.
If you can set it up as a closed system, you don't get dirt and pine needles in your water.
i would trust the one you posted.

Brendan

WKR
I used the 10L Sawyer Gravity Flow this past year - worked great. A lot faster and easier than expected. But, make sure you start with reasonably clean water or you'll clog it up quick.

Normally, I use steripen, and keep tablets as a backup.

Cool video here if you've got some really nasty stuff you need to filter....

Yes, the gravity feeds clog quickly with really nasty water. Periodically back flush with the clean water, or pre-filter through a filter bag.

CNOC bag makes it easy to pre-filter. Aquarium filter socks work well and are inexpensive. You can get them in different filter sizes between 100 and 200 microns. I've seen them as cheap as $3.

Bearsears

WKR
Yes, the gravity feeds clog quickly with really nasty water. Periodically back flush with the clean water, or pre-filter through a filter bag.

CNOC bag makes it easy to pre-filter. Aquarium filter socks work well and are inexpensive. You can get them in different filter sizes between 100 and 200 microns. I've seen them as cheap as $3.
How do you use the cnoc bag and fish filter as a pre filter? I'm highly interested in this.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

How do you use the cnoc bag and fish filter as a pre filter? I'm highly interested in this.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Gotta pour through the sock into the CNOC. The entire end of the CNOC opens up. So you do like gassing up a dirt bike in Baja. If a bit spills into the CNOC bag (say you pour too fast), no big. It will get filtered out.

It's an extra step for extreme conditions. Few of us hunt where the only water is so thick it will plug your filter in seconds. But when you do, you need to do whatever is necessary.