Water treatment

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I pretty much only use a steripen. Maybe I'm missing something. Why do some of you use the steripen AND tablets? I carry the tablets as backup. Have I just been super lucky so far?

I carry tablets as a backup, but also for camp water. It would take a while to steripen 10L of water to put into a big bladder for camp. With the tablets you can just fill the bladder up, drop tablets in and go on your way. The downside is the taste and you have a wait time. That's why I'm going to go with an inline filter this year along with my steripen.

NUGGET

WKR
For about 12 years I religiously filtered everything but in the last 5 years I’ve become lazy. I stopped filtering out of pure laziness. Also I figure if I do get the “g” the weight loss would be beneficial 🤣

I’m water filter junky. Here’s my list.

Lightest: sawyer mini
Fastest: Katadyn Vario
Most robust: katadyn pocket
For big volume at camp: platypus gravity works.
Garbage filters I would never trust: life straw
Least reliable and flimsy: Msr miniworks

Best all around is the vario. It is fast, has ceramic and paper filter, and carbon for taste and chemicals. It’s only downfall is it’s bulky and somewhat heavy.

The sawyer is also acceptable for gravity camp duty. You can get an in-line carbon filter to polish your water and remove any chemicals that may be present. Especially if you are near any old mines.

I don’t like iodine tablets or bleach tablets. I would rather have a good filter..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Why the Gravity works over the MSR autoflow XL? Leaning towards that because I like the roll top.

For about 12 years I religiously filtered everything but in the last 5 years I’ve become lazy. I stopped filtering out of pure laziness. Also I figure if I do get the “g” the weight loss would be beneficial 🤣
I've had the "g". Trust me, you'll lose some serious weight!

rayporter

WKR
i dont find the taste of micro pur to be noticeable. that is what i use for camp water. the aqua tabs i found take 2 per qt and thats a pain. easy to fill and put in the tabs and by morning [ or nght] i have couple gallons of water.

the big G. ha.
anyone i have talked to that had it says they really dont want it again!!! after a cursory description i got real careful.