Waterfowl Hunting Kayak

Nedparker

FNG
Looking for a waterfowl kayak. Planning on using for lakes ponds and very slow moving rivers.
planning on taking a dog and a dozen+ decoys.
having a tough time finding a rig big enough. The kayak must be lite for hiking in.
thanks in advance for any thoughts or references.
ned

How far is a “hike”? If it’s short a kayak “landing gear” setup might do the trick, otherwise probably inflatable. I got rid of my bigger kayak to get a lighter slimmer sit on top but it’s still 56lbs empty and 13.5’, I’m not hiking far with it. I’ve not got around to adding wheels to it.

Jtay561

FNG
I’ve got a Jackson Yupik that I use for rivers and as a layout boat/blind and it works awesome. Like others have said, not light weight.

The weight is worth dealing with when I can stand to fly fish down the Boise River, be perfectly stable for shooting from, and for taking my two young boys along.

Graves14

WKR
I had a marsh rat for a few years and loved how stable it was. Easy to get the dog into and out of, plenty of room for decoys, crazy stable to shoot from.

does not track as well as a traditional kayak.

spc7669

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve never had one, but the Nu Canoe looks interesting for stability and being able to lay down duck hunting.

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
Some rudimentary welding or wood working skills, keeping an eye out for kids bicycles being tossed and a couple ratchet straps and you can have yourself a cart that will make long hikes dragging any kayak or canoe and all your associated duck gear much easier.

Brendan

WKR
Light for hiking in and the requirements you're looking for probably won't happen in a roto-molded kayak. My 11' Jackson Kayak is a heavy bastard and it isn't big enough sometimes. Getting it on and off the roof rack is a production when I'm solo, may need a trailer soon.

If you want light - go for a packraft or a carbon kevlar canoe. If you want a hunting kayak, get a cart and be prepared to drag it on that.

ianpadron

WKR
I have a 10 foot NuCanoe frontier that I use for your described applications. Really like it. They are heavy compared to others but much more stable and the load capacity is absurd. Slap a C-Tug all terrain kayak cart underneath one and you can pull it along anywhere you go, plus it acts as a gear cart so you don't have decoys, spinners, guns, etc slapping you in the back of the knees.

OP
N

Nedparker

FNG
Thank you all.
more responses than I had imagined.
The hike is about a half mile with some elevation change. Seems like I have to give up on the weight issue as a kayak cart will be helpful. I feel like I would be sacrificing stability and gear storage going with a light weight kayak or inflatable.
now the tough time of finding the right kayak and hiding it from my wife.
thank you all for the help and suggestions.

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
Beavertail Steath 1200 or 2000. Purpose built ultra stable duck boat.

FLAK

WKR
I've recently put my 3waters Big Fish on a small boat trailer.
Launch it like a regular boat, crank it back up on the trailer.
Too old to be dragging and picking up a 100lb Yak.
About to get started on the waterfowl this year,,,and prolly
a moorhen or 10.

C Bow

WKR
You need to find a poke boat I have duck hunted over 50 years as a solo hunter and they are deadly track straight less than 30 lb

WildHart1

FNG
I'd recommend a aquapod. I picked up 2 this year a 8' and a 10'. The 10' would work for you and your dog along with any gear you may have.

Rodéo

WKR
Anybody ever heard of or used a fold up kayak like tucktec for waterfowl? Seems like a good option at under 30lbs. and pretty inexpensive

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up an old town solo sport last summer (canoe/kayak hybrid). Retrofitted one of my old Cabeles layout blinds for it. I removed the seat to open up the boat for a layout and paddle on my knees. I walk it into my area using a kayak cart or put it on my game cart in the rougher of the two spots I hunt.

only needs a couple inches of water.

Room for the blind, 18 decoys, shell bag, shotgun and my lab. Could easily add another 18 decoys if I didn't have a dog. I hunt in tidal marshes where there can be little standing cover. Brushed the blind in with some marsh grass I picked up at cabelas (dyed it to match the green/brown tones in my area) and it disappears. Takes about 7 minutes to set up.

I couldn't be happier with this set up.

Attachments

• canjes2.jpg
    canjes2.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 24
  • can1.jpg
    can1.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited: