Waterfowl Jacket

MSU_19

FNG
Looking for advice on a waterfowl jacket. Majority of my hunts take place in Michigan from a boat. Average temps are typically between 20-40deg in the morning. I was debating between Sitka Hudson and Boreal, but would like to hear if there is some more solid budget friendly options. Thanks in advance!

Wags

WKR
Looking for advice on a waterfowl jacket. Majority of my hunts take place in Michigan from a boat. Average temps are typically between 20-40deg in the morning. I was debating between Sitka Hudson and Boreal, but would like to hear if there is some more solid budget friendly options. Thanks in advance!

Hudson all the way if you want insulation & Gore Tex all in one. I do a lot of layering because of my style of hunting so I typically use a Delta with layers under it according to the Temp and my activity level.

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
I use the delta wading and duck oven. I like the flexibility of shedding the insulation if it warms up or only using the insulation if its cold and blue bird. Used it in a layout in Saginaw bay year before last and worked great and stayed dry.

Friend of mine has columbia stuff as mentioned above. Its solid stuff and would look to that before Drake for the mid tier offers.

Hoopwse

FNG
Hudson if you don’t wear waders a bunch.

Duck oven DWJ combo if you do wear waders. Duck oven is designed to tuck into your waders.

OP
M

MSU_19

FNG
Hudson if you don’t wear waders a bunch.

Duck oven DWJ combo if you do wear waders. Duck oven is designed to tuck into your waders.
What’s your reasoning for not wearing the Hudson with waders? The Hudson isn’t cheap and buying both the duck oven and DWJ is even more expensive.

Hoopwse

FNG
What’s your reasoning for not wearing the Hudson with waders? The Hudson isn’t cheap and buying both the duck oven and DWJ is even more expensive.

The Hudson isn’t designed to slide under waders, so purely from a comfort perspective it would be more bulky and not as comfortable as the duck oven. Plus using the DWJ duck oven combo allows you to cover a much broader temp range.

If you’re wading in deeper water, you want your insulation inside your waders, not outside the waters for it to get soaked. Tucking the duck oven inside the waders, and then putting the DWJ on over it solves this problem. The DWJ is designed for this scenario. This might not be a problem you have to worry about if you’re hunting a GTR where the water is a foot deep, but if you’re wading a deeper marsh it makes a big difference. Plus if you trip while hunting shallow water, having your jacket inside your waders would be nice.

It is more expensive to do both. For the OPs purpose hunting out of a boat in Michigan, I think the Hudson is the right option.

I'm in MI as well so our conditions are similar. I use the delta wading jacket and layer under it accordingly. I have a fahrenheit jacket and a gradient. Gradient if it's 40s out, fahrenheit if it's 20s to 40s. And both if it's under that. All this fits into waders easily.

Buy it used if you can, or wait until you can get a friends and family code. Duck hunting is the one place I'll spend a lot of money on to be comfortable while doing it. No regrets with the jackets I have so far.

Great choice as well. I love my Wigeon's as well. It has, hands down, the best hood of any rain gear jacket on the market. Why more companies don't follow suit is beyond me.
The cut also is made to wear with waders. It's fully seamed sealed mot just critically.

Wags

WKR
The cut also is made to wear with waders. It's fully seamed sealed mot just critically.

True, I have gotten wet in mine a few times though. That’s the only reason I went to the Sitka.

I think someone posted there will be a new updated model. I’ll definitely take a look at it if it’s Gore Tex.

True, I have gotten wet in mine a few times though. That’s the only reason I went to the Sitka.

I think someone posted there will be a new updated model. I’ll definitely take a look at it if it’s Gore Tex.
I've never gotten wet in mine and I've been in some monsoons on the coast. I don't think they will use any WL Gore products since they own Outdry. Past history shows there is no love between WL Gore and Columbia

OP
M

MSU_19

FNG
The Hudson isn’t designed to slide under waders, so purely from a comfort perspective it would be more bulky and not as comfortable as the duck oven. Plus using the DWJ duck oven combo allows you to cover a much broader temp range.

If you’re wading in deeper water, you want your insulation inside your waders, not outside the waters for it to get soaked. Tucking the duck oven inside the waders, and then putting the DWJ on over it solves this problem. The DWJ is designed for this scenario. This might not be a problem you have to worry about if you’re hunting a GTR where the water is a foot deep, but if you’re wading a deeper marsh it makes a big difference. Plus if you trip while hunting shallow water, having your jacket inside your waders would be nice.

It is more expensive to do both. For the OPs purpose hunting out of a boat in Michigan, I think the Hudson is the right option.
Appreciate the explanation. I’m typically sitting in the boat and only walk out to grab ducks or move decoys. I always have my jacket outside my waders and then just pull it up if I’m getting too deep. I was just already skeptical of spending that much on a jacket already but I’m at the point where I have the buy once cry once mentality. If I got with the DWJ and something else that’s A LOT of tears though haha I definitely plan on trying to buy used first.