Waterfowl jacket

MSU_19

FNG
Looking for advice on a waterfowl jacket. Majority of my hunts take place in Michigan from a boat. Average temps are typically between 20-40deg in the morning. I was debating between Sitka Hudson and Boreal, but would like to hear if there is some more solid budget friendly options. Thanks in advance!

Im not much help but I found a sweet UnderArmor duck jacket on eBay for 80 bucks. Love that thing for ducking !!! I refuse to pay 3-400 bucks for a new one

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
Sitka is good gear but I can't get past the price. I know some of the "hardcore" sitka sporting waterfowlers usually call it quits before I get uncomfortable with layering and a quality shell that varies depending on exactly how wet the weather is.

Loper

WKR
I’ve used the Magellan Pintail waterfowl jacket from Academy for 4 or 5 years. I think it normally costs $60 and at the end of the season it is on sale for $30. I’ve used it hunting in North Dakota and Alberta in temperatures as low as 10 degrees. It’s a little bulky but is waterproof, has all the features I need, and is plenty warm for me.

Others, may disagree with me, but I think where you’ll want to spend your money is on quality waders.

EDIT: Looks like price went up to $80 since the time I bought mine.

I've got a McAlister fleece lined jacket that is about perfect in that temperature range. The Drake MST Waterfowl Fleece lined 1/4 zip (they also have a full zip) is basically the same thing and its what I would go with.

OP
M

MSU_19

FNG
I’ve used the Magellan Pintail waterfowl jacket from Academy for 4 or 5 years. I think it normally costs $60 and at the end of the season it is on sale for $30. I’ve used it hunting in North Dakota and Alberta in temperatures as low as 10 degrees. It’s a little bulky but is waterproof, has all the features I need, and is plenty warm for me.

Others, may disagree with me, but I think where you’ll want to spend your money is on quality waders.

EDIT: Looks like price went up to $80 since the time I bought mine.
Have you had any issues with getting wet? The specs say it has a windproof and waterproof coating which leaves me to believe I’m going to get soaked during the frequent cold downpours which is amplified when cruising in a boat and pulling in decoys.

The Hudson is great, I found the Boreal way too hot. That said, I have found that the waterfowl jackets made/marketed by Browning are at a near equal performance point for less cost.

Loper

WKR
Have you had any issues with getting wet? The specs say it has a windproof and waterproof coating which leaves me to believe I’m going to get soaked during the frequent cold downpours which is amplified when cruising in a boat and pulling in decoys.

I haven’t been in a true downpour in the jacket. I’ve been in conditions with heavy snow as well as sleet and rain, and it’s been fine for me. It’s always been light to moderate rain, never a monsoon.

OP
M

MSU_19

FNG
The Hudson is great, I found the Boreal way too hot. That said, I have found that the waterfowl jackets made/marketed by Browning are at a near equal performance point for less cost.
I was just checking the browning jackets out and it doesn’t sound like they are waterproof. Have you had any issues?

Wags

WKR
I typically layer under a Sitka Delta Wading Jacket but the Hudson is a very good starting point if it's cold and wet as well. Buy once, Cry once. I've worn most popular jackets over the years and the Sitka and Kuiu are the only ones that have kept me dry in a driven / soaking / all day rain. Most are water "resistant" NOT GoreTex or Waterproof even though they say so.

I would lean towards that Hudson jacket. You could always add a layer or two for the 20 degree days but I think with just a shirt underneath it could also be perfect for the 40 degree days. I went through a couple of jackets before I broke down and bought the Sitka. I wish I would have just bought the Sitka from the start. By the time I sold the other two prior jackets I had lost almost enough money that I could have just bought the Sitka. I definitely think picking up the best gear you can from the start pays off in the long run.

My entire family and all of our friends run Columbia widgeon wader jackets. In 20 years we’ve returned 3 for zipper failures and all were completely warrantied at their highest retail price without receipt.
I put the fewest hours on my jacket every year and it’s still 45 or so days per year. Light, comfortable, zip out liner, and you’ll be bone dry. I know they are dropping a revamp soon which is unfortunate because I think the price is going to go from $120 to Sitka level but I will always go that route.

Wags

WKR
My entire family and all of our friends run Columbia widgeon wader jackets. In 20 years we’ve returned 3 for zipper failures and all were completely warrantied at their highest retail price without receipt.
I put the fewest hours on my jacket every year and it’s still 45 or so days per year. Light, comfortable, zip out liner, and you’ll be bone dry. I know they are dropping a revamp soon which is unfortunate because I think the price is going to go from $120 to Sitka level but I will always go that route.

I have 2 Wigeons, great jackets , the pockets are a little small but I love the hood. It’s hands down the best hood of any rain jacket made.
My issue with the Wigeon is they aren’t Gore Tex and I’ve gotten wet wearing them over the years in heavy rains. Especially wind driven rains or rainy boat rides. My Delta is the only duck jacket I’ve had that has kept me 100% dry 100% of the time.

If Columbia goes gore tex I’ll buy one.

I have 2 Wigeons, great jackets , the pockets are a little small but I love the hood. It’s hands down the best hood of any rain jacket made.
My issue with the Wigeon is they aren’t Gore Tex and I’ve gotten wet wearing them over the years in heavy rains. Especially wind driven rains or rainy boat rides. My Delta is the only duck jacket I’ve had that has kept me 100% dry 100% of the time.

If Columbia goes gore tex I’ll buy one.
Of the roughly 20 guys I know with them I’ve only ever seen one get a little soggy. I’ve gotten wet in gortex to many times esspecially if it’s dirty. I prefer the Omni tech. My hunting bibs fishing bibs and might light rain gear I use Omni tech because it breaths better than frog togs and gortex has let me down

ianpadron

WKR
Find a Sitka dealer that can get you into a Hudson for cheap, PM me if you need a guy.

The Hudson is worth every penny. Have yet to get wet in mine out here in nasty WA state, hunting 40-50 days a year for 3 years straight. Super tough and the new version with the stretchy shoulder panels makes a HUGE difference.

Spoonbill

WKR
I picked up an ll bean jacket last season and have been happy with it. My only complaint is that there are not shell loops in both pockets, but I am left handed so it likely won’t bother most people as much as it does me.

My Sitka Jetstream jacket is pretty damn useful in my waterfowling line up.
If you layer correctly it is perfect for pretty much the whole season. Sheds a surprising amount of rain as well. Obviously not a true rain jacket, but I hate duck hunting in the rain anyways.

mck71

WKR
If you can find an old McAlister hooded wading jacket, they are great. I’ve used one for years and the waxed cotton has done a fantastic job of blocking wind and rain. I bought a size larger than I would typically wear and layer under it on cold days.

MO-CHSPKE

FNG
I have a Delta wading jacket, Duck Oven jacket, and a Dakota hoodie. I have found myself wearing the Dakota hoodie almost exclusively and then the Delta over for rainy days. The Dakota is ridiculously comfortable and warm with some water resistance.