Waterfowl Wader Recommendations

NDGuy

WKR
Owned a pair of Lacrosse waders for a few years but they have worn out and have leaks everywhere.

Anyone have experience with Banded or Rogers Sporting Goods waders? Looking at those two pretty hard as the breathability features look nice.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
Friend has 'Rogers'.Working well for him.Likely my next buy.
I got a friend that gave me a 50% off coupon for Banded so it's basically a wash for the $. I am just torn because I have heard mixed reports on the Banded waders.

Wheels

WKR
If money is no option, Sitka waders are probably the best and have a great warranty. I personally own LL Bean breathables and Rogers breathable with the zip out liner. Both are solid waders, but only carry a 1 year warranty.

depends on what kind you want. I personally only hunt with breathable waders and use simms boots. I dont really stand in the water much any more since we sea duck hunt off gravel/rocky beaches. If i do hunt for puddle ducks and its cold i just wear fleece and smart wool under the waders. I have owned the same pair of frog tog wading pants for the past 6 years for duck hunting, salmon fishing, and my job land surveying (https://www.froggtoggs.com/froggtoggs-pilot-ii-guide-waders-10965). They are finally starting to slowly fall apart but still do not leak. I understand people want the best and see a high price and assume they are going to be the best but there are other companies who put out solid waders for a decent price. I think my wading pants were 150 bucks or something like that. I will never go back to neoprene waders again. I also think the stocking foot are far superior because wading boots are much more comfortable to wear then the typical rubber boot attached to waders.

Superdoo

WKR
Greeting fellow ND guy!
I have used the Banded Redzone's for a few years now and I like them a lot. I only get out maybe twice a year, but they keep me plenty warm and dry.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
Greeting fellow ND guy!
I have used the Banded Redzone's for a few years now and I like them a lot. I only get out maybe twice a year, but they keep me plenty warm and dry.
Good to hear I think I am getting the Redzone 2.0 Insulateds

Superdoo

WKR
Good to hear I think I am getting the Redzone 2.0 Insulateds
If you're able to go try them on first dot it.
When we go out for ducks, we end up walking a few hundred yards and these are way better than neoprenes for comfort. Mine were a gift from the wife and by the time I used them and found out the boots were too big I couldn't exchange them. That's my only "gripe" oh one more, they are freaking HOT! Which where you and I are is a good thing.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
I used them and found out the boots were too big I couldn't exchange them. That's my only "gripe" oh one more, they are freaking HOT! Which where you and I are is a good thing.
Did they run bigger than normal for your boot size?

Also are they really hot? Says they are "breathable" I thought that was the point was to be cooler lol

Superdoo

WKR
They are hot. They do breathe, but like anything that is waterproof/ breathable they sacrifice breath-ability for waterproofness. My favorite thing about them is you feel like your wearing insulated bibs, not waders. The freedom of movement is great.
If your planning to be wearing them in the warmer months, you'll sweat them up for sure. For our season heare I'm usually good with a light base layer.
The boots seam to run a little big for me. I wear 9.5 and the boots on mine say 10. I'm guessing I could have gotten away with a 9.
I think Scheels still carries them. Where in ND are you?

Overdrive

WKR
I have the Roger's 3 n 1 and the best pair I've owned, really nice to have the insulated liner for those late season duck hunts and the breathable for early season.

Oregon

WKR
Another wader thread. Sigh.

I literally wear breathable waders over half a year. Banded, Cabelas, frog toggs, la crosse etc etc have all been worn by me.

Simms, and only Simms will last more than 3 seasons

If you occasionally wear wader(less than 20 days a year), I’m sure any brand will work.
FYI, my first pair of Banded 2.0 I got 65 days before the blew out.
A normal person that means almost 3 years.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR

I literally wear breathable waders over half a year. Banded, Cabelas, frog toggs, la crosse etc etc have all been worn by me.

If you occasionally wear wader(less than 20 days a year), I’m sure any brand will work.
Haha sorry man, I was just curious specifically towards waterfowl and not using it as much as you.

Thanks for the input though. I went with Banded since I had a code and I guess they have the two-year warranty if they blow out that fast.

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
I know the OP has made a purchase already, but for anyone else in the market another option is the USIA waders. They are a dry-suit manufacturer that also makes waders from dry-suit fabric. I got a pair made for me by them and they have been bomber for 2 years so far. They are super tall going up to my armpits which has saved me from a soaking far too often. I got mine with the attached BOG boot, though you can do them as a stockingfoot.

One critique is they do not breath as well as a proper "breathable" wader, but I wear a merino or fleece under layer for sweat management and its all good.

The USIA process results in a very customized fit which was great for me being 6'3" and 195 alot of off-the-shelf waders just dont have long enough inseams or torsos or too much girth to be useful.

Sounds like you are in your waders for half of the year. You got 65 days out of the Banded. How many days are you getting out of the Simms? I mostly duck hunt and waders are a necessary evil. But if I had a more comfortable option and they were easier to hike in....I might wear them for hunts where I might only wear a knee boot (which would give added security that the water wouldn't possibly go over my knee boot). On on my second season with Banded 2.0 breathable waders but am always looking for the "next" pair because when waders fail--they fail. I don't love the bulky boot that is built in on the Banded wader....but compared to neoprene waders....they are downright maneuvrable. I am looking at the Simms as my possible next pair....but at the price....would want them to last a long time.

Oregonboy

WKR
For fishing, I had simms freestones for 5 years. I wore them 40+ times per year and they were freaking awesome. I have a new pair now that's on year 3 and still performing flawlessly.

For waterfowl, I've like Neoprene's since they are warmer. I have a pair of Duck's Unlimited's that I got in 2015 and they still work well. I only wear them 5-6 times per year but they've held up, are warm and I think I got them for around $150 (with a muff included). I'd buy them again.

For fishing, I had simms freestones for 5 years. I wore them 40+ times per year and they were freaking awesome. I have a new pair now that's on year 3 and still performing flawlessly.

For waterfowl, I've like Neoprene's since they are warmer. I have a pair of Duck's Unlimited's that I got in 2015 and they still work well. I only wear them 5-6 times per year but they've held up, are warm and I think I got them for around $150 (with a muff included). I'd buy them again.
Yeah, ever since I went with the Banded Redzones....I won't go back to neoprene. Hard to move in and clammy as hell. The Redzones are fine except they have the built in boot. I wear the uninsulated waders and wear fleece wader pants and long johns. Once my Banded ones wear out I'll probably do the Simms route.