Waterproof backpacks, as in drybag style.

jmden

WKR
Looking for a waterproof backpack, larger day pack size for a trip to the topics. Suggestions? Be nice if it could double for hunting, etc. here at home.

tdot

WKR
I spent a few years jumping on/off boats in the tropics and I grew to dislike my roll top day bag. It was too slow to unroll/unclip every time I wanted to grab something quickly. I left it behind when we moved back. For our next trip, I'll be on the hunt for something with a waterproof zipper, instead of the roll top.... just a thought.

Also, if you dont need truly waterproof/immersion proof, there are alot of better bags with water resistant zippers.

Arc’teryx made the Naos and Arrakis series in the past. Unreal packs. Actually have my closet queen of a Naos 70 up on eBay currently

kata2012

Lil-Rokslider
I came across this the other day. I doubt it would work for hunting, but it sure looks like for fishing

Plus bean has 20% off right now.

If you need something larger, sierra has a 90l umpqua pack for 79.99

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

OP
jmden

jmden

WKR
Thanks guys. I'm looking to take something that might stay in an anchored kayak while snorkeling, etc. and so absolutely waterproof is the main point. Also, looking for something with a decent suspension system with good shoulder straps and hipbelt...something like that waterproof switchback kata2012 mentioned above.

tdot

WKR
The Sea to Summit's I've had worked well, but they are more of a dry sac then a load carrying pack. The waist straps were only webbing.

There was a pack from Kickstarter that I used for awhile. It was an ok pack. Too heavy for what it was. But less utilitarian then most dry bag style packs, so used it quite alot, while travelling.

OP
jmden

jmden

WKR
Those rokmans look nice, but wow, they aren’t giving those away! But that’s more what I’m looking for.

Any other suggestions?

easilyamused

Lil-Rokslider
What about looking at a seek outside roll top pack and seam sealing it from the inside to waterproof it? Or get a highly water resistant pack like a seek outside or kifaru muskeg and use a dry bag liner? Seek outside has quite a few size and design options and im sure they would be happy to help if you gave them a call.

*zap*

WKR
I have 2 of the roll top packs for use with the canoe but I would not want to carry weight in them for any distance. If I needed to do that I would put one on my x-curve load shelf. They keep out water well and will float.....got mine on ebay.

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
Grundens makes a PVC backpack thats waterproof. My dad has hid his for a few years with it being used as a day pack and a travel pack going on and off the boat. He lives in Valdez, AK and it has got to be one of the wettest places on the planet. Worth looking through grundens, helly hansen, guy cotton or any other PVC rain gear manufacturer to see what they offer. Otherwise I would look at any PVC roll top bag in the backpack/daypack of your choice.

Used the sea to summit 120L pvc roll top backpack bags on my moose float hunt this year. One for all our food which weighed 93lbs and then another for misc gear that weighed about 60lbs if I remember right. Had to carry both near a mile at one time and it wasn’t like wearing an expensive hiking or hunting pack but it wasn’t unbearable by any means. Kept everything bone dry and worked exactly how I was hoping it would.

Dented

WKR
Watershed, nothings built like them. Not cheap but you get what you pay for. They're bombproof.

Check out Ortlieb. They are mostly a biking gear company, but I have a roll-top dry bag pack from them that I have used hard for over a decade.

If I have to carry more than 30 lbs, I just strap an NRS whitewater bag to my pack frame.