Waterproof carryon duffel or backpack recommendations

Headed to SE Alaska in a few weeks for a moose/black bear hunt. Anticipating lots of rain and there will be multiple flight changes before we get to base camp. Meaning, gear will likely be exposed to rain in between transition flights. I already have a Kuiu TAKU 9000 that I will place my fully packed backpack inside of, with the exception of optics expensive electronics and a spare set of clothes in case the “ever feared” lost luggage occurs. I am looking for a waterproof (not water resistant) either duffel or backpack that meets or is close to carry on size restrictions.

My top options currently are:

1) Wolfman Expedtion dry duffel
2) Simms Dry Creek Fishing Backpack
3) Sea to Summit Hydraulic Dry Pack
4) Patagonia Black hole duffel bag (doesn’t have waterproof zippers)
5) Kuiu TAKU 3000 (not really sold on this for a carryon unless convinced otherwise)

Anyon have any feedback on any of these bags? Or do you recommend anything else? Not interested in the YETI Panga as it is simply too heavy.

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
Arc'teryx leaf dry pack, is great if you can find it discounted.

Sitka drifter 45 is kind of minimalist but soild as well.

Last edited:

Jimss

WKR
Another option that is often overlooked is a Rubbermaid action packer. They are totally waterproof and are great to have around base camp. Just make sure you don't load them with more than 50 lbs of gear so you aren't charged extra. I usually add duct tape around them for extra assurance that they stay closed during flight.

I would also suggest gutting the foam in your rifle case and packing it full of clothes and gear. That will likely save you 1 bag. My rifle case is on wheels for easy transport around airports.

ed2brute

FNG
Use a lightweight dry bag or contractor bag as a waterproof liner for the water resistant duffel? I’ve done this to better waterproof a North Face Basecamp duffel and it worked great, but it wasn’t Alaska. If it has to be bone dry, I’d think about redundancy and not rely on one waterproof layer.

wyosam

WKR
I know this is late, but I have a ton of different drybags (lots of multiday raft trips and motorcycle touring). Watershed bags are what the stuff that absolutely has to be dry goes in.

There have been a few on camofire that might be worth a look. I just got a duffle from rtic and like it so far but it’s not 100% waterproof.

North face base camp duffle and a couple of contractor trash bags. One for going and one for the return.

The duffle will handle a decent amount of rain. The contractor bag is just insurance.

tdot

WKR
Arcteryx Carrier duffle. I now have 5 of them for travel with the entire family. I have made dozens of flights, including international, with them as my carryon. Not once have I even been asked to check it for size or weight, while others were. It has always been over limit. I have an older 70l model, something about it not being over stuffed and on our backs, airlines just dont look at it.

Its super lightweight and fairly waterproof, though I have had it leak at the zipper, though only during intense and sustained rain (think tropical storm for 8 days)

I lived out of one for 9 month on a sail boat and it still looks new. That thing has been my carryon for 4 years and on multiple van camping trips.

It has replaced North face waterproof and Patagonia Blackhole bags.

The Kuiu duffle is basically a copy of the design, though I dont know anything about the material they used.

Beendare

WKR
Ive had a couple of cheap waterproof duffles take a dump on me.

I just picked up an Eagle Creek migration rolling duffle HERE

Lifetime warranty, it is quality built with solid fabric, Ive only had jt on one trip so not much time with it but it looks to be perfect for my use.