Waterproof Duffle Bag?

Hoopwse

FNG
looking for suggestions on a water proof (or super water resistant) duffle bag. I’m headed to Montana in October where we will be taking horses into a base camp. I have a small Patagonia black hole duffle that’s pretty water resistant I was planning to use in conjunction with some smaller dry bags inside, but now I’m realizing it is going to be too small.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Not really wanting to spend $350 on a yeti bag, but I don’t want to buy a POS that breaks during the trip.

Boomtakem2

Lil-Rokslider
While I have expensive Sitka duffle's, with panniers, I tend to stuff cloths, sleeping bag, etc. in either contractor bags, or watertight compression sacks. I do this to compartmentalize my backpack as well.

OP
H

Hoopwse

FNG
I’m seeing a lot of bags are water resistant and not 100% waterproof? Do y’all think 100% water proof is necessary?

Realistically the bags will be strapped to a horse for a few hours going in and then going out, and sitting inside my wall tent the rest of the time.

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
I would suggest anything Sea to Summit first. The RTIC products look good but I don't know much about them. You might want check out Cabela's Boundary Waters Duffel bags. They have different sizes, and they seem to hold up well. I've been using them for various gear and clothing without any issues for the last year.

*zap*

WKR
The improved military duffle and a large heavy duty trash bag inside filled with your stuff or a good waterproof pack from seal line.

yeti14

Lil-Rokslider
Ortlieb. I got turned on to these by some river rafting friends. They are awesome, and work great in SE AK.

tdot

WKR
Arcteryx Carrier duffle. They are waterproof except the zipper. They are the only bags I use now, we have them in multiple sizes for the whole family. We've used them sailing and gear has stayed dry despite excessive humidity and water in the some of the race boats. They're often left on docks and no issues. Flown dozens of times with my first bag that I bought and it's still going strong and I've had it close to 10 years.

TheTone

WKR
I’ve used NRS duffels on lots of raft trips as well as winter hunts when I expected my gear to get wet in the back of the truck

Trial153

WKR
The newer Sitka duffles are solid, I have had the larger and smaller one on about 10 flights so far and they have held up very well. Big improvement from the first incarnation.
Patagonia black hole is another solid choice

Kuiu makes one that I have taken to Alaska twice and has been amazing. I don’t recall the name but it’s been great!

PNWGATOR

WKR
Stone Glacier duffles are ideal for your application. Well constructed, simple design, excellent workmanship. You’ll be happy with them!

bluumoon

WKR
Watershed dry bags made in the USA if you want one that will out live you. NRS dry duffels if you don't mind replacing them occasionally. Both are water proof, not water resistant options. Even the Watershed bags are prob less than the YETI stuff.

Cynoscion

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a big fan of KUIU Taku bags. Mine have traveled all over the world and are still holding up strong. They advertise them as water resistant but mine have been in the back of pickups in the rain and strapped to horses while making river crossings and my gear has always stayed dry.

JohnB

WKR
Watershed dry bags made in the USA if you want one that will out live you. NRS dry duffels if you don't mind replacing them occasionally. Both are water proof, not water resistant options. Even the Watershed bags are prob less than the YETI stuff.
Watershed duffles are the gold standard. If you want bomber these are your ticket!

Mt Al

WKR
Big fan of Simms Dry Creek Duffels. Mine have been rugged even with mistreatment. No, I'm not a rep for them. They are spendy and I haven't compared to other brands.

I do like the suggestion for a contractor bag inside of a regular duffel.