Waterproof Gaiters Help

Mike1187

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for some input on waterproof gaiters that I can throw in the pack for those wet mornings or after that typical afternoon rain shower. I’ve never worn them but have wished I had when I’m soaked below my knees and my tops of my boot/socks get soaked.

My main concern is, how loud are they? All the ones I see look to be made out of some sort of nylon type fabric, similar to your typical everyday rain jacket and that seems loud. Also, are the higher cost brands that much better to justify the $40-50 price difference?

Thanks in advance for the help

I wear the First Lite Brambler gaiters and have been very happy with them. I've also used Kuiu, they have several different models. Maybe someone else will add a comment about the Kenetrek gaiters, I've heard good things about them but haven't ever worn them. As far as price, the extra $50 you'll pay for good quality gaiters are well worth it. They fit better and are much quieter. Also, gaiters take a lot of abuse so quality is crucial. There is a good review somewhere out in internet land on some boot gaiters, I'll try to locate it.

TravisIN

WKR
I turkey hunted all spring in Sitka thunderheads and had no issues with noise. First year running those and regular lace ups vs a rubber boot for turkey. I run and gun with a bow, not blind sitting. I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used gaiters of different types for years. Was a big fan of OR but have shifted toward hunting brands for hunting use. IMO gaiter come in 3 flavors:

- Low top stretchy type - lightest, less waterproof, keep crap out of your boots, shed a little snow and dew. OR and First lite makes a good set of these.
- expedition - heavy, high top, 3 layer goretex. Cordura reinforcements for crampons and wear. Great for ice climbing mountaineering heavy snow but maybe a little overkill. If you need or use these you probably know what you are doing and didnt read this. OR Expedition crocs are the top of the heap.
- the rest - mid weight, good rain and pretty good snow protection. These are the Goldilocks level of gaiters IMO. They can handle rain and snow without being too heavy. OR verglas is a good exampl. Kuiu makes great ones for hunting. Sitka 2018 version had some design flubs but the 2019 stuff is a major improvement.

I used the OR mountain highs (older goretex version of the verglas) for years hiking and they were along for several hunts. The nylon face was loud by hunting standards. The kuiu Yukon’s are made of soft shell material and had been my go to for the last few years in backcountry and on some upland hunts. I got a pair of the updated 2019 sitka thunderheads and am looking forward to trying them out. Both are far quieter than nonhunting brands but not whisper quiet. The sitka thunderheads have a fleeced face and I think will be a bit quieter of the two. As far as price goes, I can’t say that the kuiu or Sitka are going to be worth almost twice the price of nonhunting brands unless you really want camo and quiet. Gaiters are love hate. You might be better to run a cheaper pair to see if you like them and then upgrade if you are inclined.

muddy

FNG
I lucked into a pair of KUIU Yukon gaiters and they are amazing. Wore them pig hunting a few times and they were aweosme the day it POURED. The only thing dry was the stuff under my gaiters. Wore them coyote hunting in the snow, again awesome. Wore them turkey hunting in rain and dewey grass, still awesome.

For me, when I first wore gaiters 12ish years ago, it was one of those moments when I thought to myself "how have I hunted the past 30 years without these". The first 5 or 6 years I wore Kenetrek's and had no complaints. I've since moved on to Kuiu Yukons and have been very happy with the waterproofness, durability, and quietness while archery hunting. I wear them in all seasons for all game, even hike in them during the summer.

Kuiu Yukons get consistently good reviews. Really like mine, but only wear when I am in wetter country. My legs tend to get hot in them.

jmez

WKR
I use the Kuiu Yukon and have had great luck with them. Fairly light, keep me dry and have held up much better than I thought they would. I always have them in my pack.

Ryno478

FNG
I’m loving my First Lite Brambler gaiters as well. They’re holding up well and although I can hear them, it’s not real loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BK Ammenwerth

Lil-Rokslider
Kuiu are super tight for me, OR built very well but a little loud. Sitka are crazy loud but tough. Kennetrek are awesome imo, keep me very dry and are quiet. Kennetrek gets my vote every time. I had a pair of kennetrek where one of the rivets that connect the lace hook popped. I sent them an email with a picture or two. They responded the next day and 3 days later they sent me another pair. Outstanding CS.

I have used the Yukons for 3 years and they have held up great, until I glanced a splitting maul off them and got a tear. Repaired with some patching tape, but recently got some of the newer Kunata ones to try and a pair of SKRE gaitors( roomier than the Kunata ones). Ordered some Sitka ones last year and sent them back for missing parts but they were too short anyway. The lace hook was missing and maybe something else, don't really remember. I prefer them over the calf and the sitkas seemed to stop mid calf, other than that they seemed good.

308west

FNG
I guess I don't understand why Sitka makes them so short. I just bought a pair of the new version stormfront. L/XL were too big, very baggy. M/L fit a bit better but both pairs hit me about mid calf. Not very comfortable and I can imagine constantly having to pull them up after they fall off my calf. Anyone have any insight into the short design? Am I using them wrong?