waterproof hunting pants?

Jay03

WKR
I am well equipped when it comes to early season archery or mid season DWR breathable hunting pants. I have more pants than I probably need. But when it comes to waterproof pants I only have a older pair or kuiu chugach pants that seemed like more of a lightweight during rain only item. I am planning on going to Alaska to moose hunt in the next year or two and wondered what everyone uses for their waterproof all around hunting pants? Something durable enough for brush beating and more on the quiet side. Or is that asking to much? Obviously doesn't have to be as light as the chugach pants since it would replace them and the normal non waterproof pants. Or is running something like the sitka timberline pants while packing along the zip over lightweight chugach still a better way to go? I'm more concerned with quality than cost.

My thoughts are I could ditch the gaiters and lightweight zipover rain pants with a one item does all pair of pants. Tell me if I am wrong. Thanks

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am well equipped when it comes to early season archery or mid season DWR breathable hunting pants. I have more pants than I probably need. But when it comes to waterproof pants I only have a older pair or kuiu chugach pants that seemed like more of a lightweight during rain only item. I am planning on going to Alaska to moose hunt in the next year or two and wondered what everyone uses for their waterproof all around hunting pants? Something durable enough for brush beating and more on the quiet side. Or is that asking to much? Obviously doesn't have to be as light as the chugach pants since it would replace them and the normal non waterproof pants. Or is running something like the sitka timberline pants while packing along the zip over lightweight chugach still a better way to go? I'm more concerned with quality than cost.

My thoughts are I could ditch the gaiters and lightweight zipover rain pants with a one item does all pair of pants. Tell me if I am wrong. Thanks

I would have to say the Sitka thunderhead pants. They are a Gortex material pant and will be the quietest pant that is waterproof. I use these for archery season because they are not loud like a normal Gortex pant. Check them out I am a big fan of them.

Last edited:

jmden

WKR
Take a good look at Rivers West pants. Actual fleece outer with w/b membrane. Been running a pair of their Isolation pants for several years and seem to be more durable than I thought they'd be. Nice, because quiet in woods and stretch with you, warm enough (I just layer underneath as needed and the water resistant 'pit zips' on the inner thighs help if you're huffing up a hill to let some heat/moisture out.) and they are windproof too, which is super helpful sometimes. I modified mine quite a bit and like 'em better, but they basic premise is good and they seem to work. Pretty lightweight too at 1.5 lbs. Check out other pants...that's fairly lightweight.

OP
J

Jay03

WKR
Take a good look at Rivers West pants. Actual fleece outer with w/b membrane. Been running a pair of their Isolation pants for several years and seem to be more durable than I thought they'd be. Nice, because quiet in woods and stretch with you, warm enough (I just layer underneath as needed and the water resistant 'pit zips' on the inner thighs help if you're huffing up a hill to let some heat/moisture out.) and they are windproof too, which is super helpful sometimes. I modified mine quite a bit and like 'em better, but they basic premise is good and they seem to work. Pretty lightweight too at 1.5 lbs. Check out other pants...that's fairly lightweight.

Wow I never would have guessed they were still in business. I guess I could have Googled and found out. I had a rivers west jacket and pair of pants more than a decade ago. I hope they have come a ways from that because that stuff SUCKED!!! LOL. That was then though and who knows what they are putting out now. I don't remember what lever it was in their lineup either or if they had different tiers of clothing. They stuff I had was quiet but that was the only thing going for it. Got soaked in it, stayed wet, and it was way to warm to move in at all. I do remember zippers in the pants to cool off though.

You have me curious now so I will check them out and see what they are doing these days. They are fairly local to me so that's a plus.

OP
J

Jay03

WKR
After looking over their website I must of had some heavy weight stuff. I didn't realize they made light and midweight stuff. I'll have to check it out next time I am at Fishermans marine.

darbuh

FNG
I have used your noted combo of Sitka Timberlines and NX Chugach for moose hunting in AK, worked great. Really don't think you can go wrong either direction. Different strokes for different folks as long as buying good quality gear which you are, no worries

Best of Luck!!!!!;)

jmden

WKR
After looking over their website I must of had some heavy weight stuff. I didn't realize they made light and midweight stuff. I'll have to check it out next time I am at Fishermans marine.

Hmm...yeah. IDK. I just got the lightweight stuff figuring I could layer up underneath as needed if colder. Heavyweight stuff seemed like it would be way to warm and it was heavy.