Waterproof jacket

jt4

WKR
I got an opportunity to go on a sea duck hunt in MA in January but have never even been duck hunting before. I know I need a waterproof jacket and don’t mind buying once for quality gear since this might be the trip that gets me into waterfowl. I’m set on mid and base layers but need advice on a jacket and waders to buy once cry once.

Not sure if this is the place to post this but it’s worth a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perrin713

FNG
Sitka Hudson. Have had mine for 8 plus years now. Beat the living snot out of it. Zero issues to this day. Do everything from field goose hunting to perch fishing in mine. Good amount of insulation and waterproof.
Waders I’m looking at purchasing Gator waders. Reviews seem to be good.

Oregon

WKR
Drake is my go to for waterfowl clothes!

Drake is not all that. I gave them 2 try’s and being I live in the wettest area in the states for duck hunting, they failed miserably.
Sitka does well. Filson waxed coat does well.
Columbia does decent.
Waders. They pretty much all suck at the mid money level. Cabela’s, frog toggs, banded, etc etc.
Simms and USIA hold up well. Sitka makes a set of waders now, I have no friends that can afford $1000 to give me a review.
All my buddies are waterfowl fanatics and fishing guides who live in waders. I’m in waders about 120 days a year.
If I was you and not sure if you’re going to be needing them often.
Buy a Helly Hansen PVC raincoat and a pair of mid line waders that “appear” to have good reviews. Not the reviews from the idiots that wear them 10 times a year and say “they’re awesome! Haven’t had wet feet yet”!
Even though they’ve walked about 50’ in them through ankle deep water is all.
Oh yeah, forgot to mention. Don’t buy a Drake raincoat.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
imo the drake shirts are great. That is all I use from drake anymore. The cabelas brand 3-1 jackets has served me and my brothers well for a decade. I now use a sitka layout jacket. One brother still uses a cabelas and the other an older drake LST and all 3 of these jackets are great. The sitka is $$$ and honestly not 550 warm. The cabelas is good for the money and warm but who knows what their quality is anymore. The drake LST is sweet warm and dry but not made any more and replaced with a crappier new jacket the guardian.

I bought a new drake guardian last year when they came out. It was the worst fitting jacket ever. I have a giant wingspan so normally need 3xl tops and jackets. The guardian was plenty big around but still had the 16" neck that the medium had. I couldnt even get the thing zipped up. Also the torso length didnt seem to change with the size up just the arms and girth. It was a cool looking jacket that just painly didnt fit and never would fit a 3xl tall guy.

Sitka Hudson. I've worn one for years and its held up to timber hunting great. Definitly worlds better than anything Drake puts out. I use to be a drake fan but soon got tired of their jackets constantly leaving me wet in anything over a drizzling rain.

Sitka delta wading jacket...buy once, cry once! Going on fourth season with mine and love it (and all my other Sitka waterfowl gear)!!

For breathable waders Oregon is right, they all pretty much suck until you get to Simms. In neoprene, most all are the same. Neoprene are going to get cut or poked at some point. No amount of armor proofing will save that. Get a wetsuit patch kit and move on.

For coats, I've used Drake, Cabelas, Columbia, and army surplus. None stay dry in a drving rain and after a season or two all get wet in anything wetter than a heavy fog. Now, I hunt waterfowl like its a religion, in Michigan, Pennsylvania and Florida so maybe a casual user will get better mileage than me.

Jimss

WKR
I've used and abused simms waders for years Tough to beat their lifetime warranty If you are doing much hiking it's tough to beat Helly Henson rain jackets I make sure to buy all my rain jackets with pitzips....or you will get wet from the inside out

Catchfish

WKR
I have a pvc helly Hansen in max 4 that I love to wear when I’m on the water and always have if I’m sea duck hunting. I also have a light weight first lite boundary jacket if I’m gonna be hiking it has the pit zips and breathes better. I don’t think you can get my pvc coat anymore I would check grundens they have a camo coat or 2.

ridgefire

WKR
I live in wet western Washington and pretty much wear nothing but Gore Tex if I'm being active and want to stay dry. The Sitka Delta jacket is awesome and will keep you dry. For waders I have had awesome luck with the Simms Gore Tex waders. If or when I can afford it I will be buying some Sitka waders for duck hunting.

Wassid82

WKR
I have hunting camp jackets what work well but they are long. If I'm in waders and standing in water I found that a fly fishing jacket works best (like ones used while salmon and steelhead fishing in winter). I bought a Simms G4 jacket that I found on sale at an outdoor equipment company online sale. It was like 50% off and works the best. It has good pocket placement and doesn't hang down in the water to draw up moister. It also allows me to layer appropriately so I'm not too hot or cold getting to my hunting spot in the morning. My hunting buddy uses some Helly Hansen and swears by it as well.

FLS

WKR
I’ve got a Hodgman camo raincoat that’s made out of PVC backed cordura. I’ve had it for over 20 years and it’s never leaked. During duck season it stays in my blind bag or under the boat seat, rest of the year its under the back seat in my truck. I’ve never babied it and it’s never leaked. ALL of the goretex products will eventually. Doesn’t matter who’s name is on it. I’ve had them all and they all leak eventually.

OP
jt4

jt4

WKR
Anything that I could double down and use for big game hunting?

Anything that I could double down and use for big game hunting?

I used to own a Delta wading jacket. They are nice.
I sold it and went with a cloudburst jacket. Get it in subalpine if you want a vegetation camo, or open country even.
The cloudburst works great for waterfowl. At least for me. I don't need integrated lanyards and call pockets etc. I just want a coat to throw on if it is raining. The cloudburst is water and wind proof, lighter, and can be found for quite a bit cheaper. My .02c