waterproof kifaru packs?

How water resistant/waterproof are kifaru packs? Looking at pulling trigger on bikini and dt2 soon.

I hunt mainly in WA state and it can be known for precipitation.

Most of my packs in the past have utilized a rain cover. I don't really care for those but will use them.

Thanks
Mike--lostbackpacker--

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
They are not waterproof. Water resistant, yes, so anything more than a short hard rain, or a long light rain and you will probably end up with the contents on your pack soaked. Use either a pack liner such as a trash compactor bag, or a pack cover. I am out on a week long trip with my highlander and biki now and yesterday we had a good bit of rain and the pack soaked through in about an hour or two in a constant drizzle with off and on heavy downpours. I was testing this exact feature, so they are by no means waterproof. Hope this helps, and please excuse any spelling as this is fromm my cell.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
They are not waterproof. Water resistant, yes, so anything more than a short hard rain, or a long light rain and you will probably end up with the contents on your pack soaked. Use either a pack liner such as a trash compactor bag, or a pack cover. I am out on a week long trip with my highlander and biki now and yesterday we had a good bit of rain and the pack soaked through in about an hour or two in a constant drizzle with off and on heavy downpours. I was testing this exact feature, so they are by no means waterproof. Hope this helps, and please excuse any spelling as this is fromm my cell.

What he said!

The material is very waterproof/ resistant, but it leaks through the stitching pretty easy.

littlebuf

Banned
there not western Washington water resistant, but what is. that's just part of hunting over here. I just got back from about 8 miles of hiking in the rain. packs soaked, stuff inside isn't bad but its wet. the one nice thing is 500D does dry fast. I hate pack covers too, if my gear cant take getting wet then I don't need it. what I want to stay dry I put in plastic

OP
L
I was just hoping.... :) with water comes weight which as we all know can make for a longer day

Snyd

WKR
All packs need a good pack cover to be waterproofed. Outdoor Research makes some good ones.

Rizzy

WKR
Maybe look into one of the last KU3700 packs. The shelter material doesn't absorb the water like cordura can so minimal extra weight :)

I would think a pack cover would be a necessity in PNW. I really don’t like using them either. Although I leave in Colorado I recently added one to my arsenal. I can see where under certain conditions I would use it. When I am just using my bivy sack I can cover my pack and keep the contents dry from the elements. I got mine from Integral Designs Tactical in Multicam. Fits packs up to 5500 ci. I will be running it on my standard TL2 and recently ordered HC CB 4800. I like this particular pack cover because it covers the sides on the hip belt as well where by protecting the belt pouches etc.

JLF

FNG
I got mine from Integral Designs Tactical in Multicam. Fits packs up to 5500 ci. I will be running it on my standard TL2 and recently ordered HC CB 4800. I like this particular pack cover because it covers the sides on the hip belt as well where by protecting the belt pouches etc.

Sir, I'd like to know more about this item. Could you post a pic or two with it on your TL2 please? Also, is this a special order item or is it readily available? Can you provide data on where to purchase etc. please?

In the office all day so I can not post the pix. You can go to Integral Designs website and they have a tab at the top of their home page for the Military and tactical gear. The products are made by Integral Designs but marketed by Fellfab.

Regards

Thomas

cmeier117

WKR
On my first Kifaru Pack (Timberline 2) I used seam grip so seam seal the seams near the top on the inside of the pack, It did seem to help and hunting in western Oregon that year the contents stayed perfectly dry through many rain storms and complete days hunting in steady rain. Takes a lot of work but it can be done.

if im dayhunting on the wetside my stuff gets wet after about 1.5hr. no big deal, if im in the high country i bring a raincover as i dont want to be carrying a wet pack for days... made that mistake once, took 3 days for my pack to dry...

OP
L
I have used gallon zip loc bags in the past.. they just seem to puncture easily. I just wonder about spraying some water repellant spary and taping the seams. I will most likely get some dry bags and use those. thanks for all the input

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I tried the pack cover thing, but with alders and what not they just come off eventually so I gave up on it and just put everything important in dry sacks and everything else is ok to get wet.

The best dry sack I used though was the one from Outdoor Research. Their XL is HUGE and easily encompassed my pack for 7 days with a rifle or bow on. Not I don't use it anymore so if anyone wants it I'll sell it for $20 shipped.

Here is the link:
http://www.backcountry.com/outdoor-...5&origin=pla&gclid=CMuT8M_63rYCFWRyQgodC0oAQA

Snyd

WKR
I tried the pack cover thing, but with alders and what not they just come off eventually so I gave up on it and just put everything important in dry sacks and everything else is ok to get wet.

The best dry sack I used though was the one from Outdoor Research. Their XL is HUGE and easily encompassed my pack for 7 days with a rifle or bow on. Not I don't use it anymore so if anyone wants it I'll sell it for $20 shipped.

Here is the link:
http://www.backcountry.com/outdoor-...5&origin=pla&gclid=CMuT8M_63rYCFWRyQgodC0oAQA

That's the one I have. I've used it as a bivi of sorts siwashed on a stormy mtn. Curled up in it on top of my pack.

kuhn4

Lil-Rokslider
I seam sealed my T1 with Seam Grip just as cmeier117 said. Time consuming, but it adds a level of water protection and durability to the stitching.

OP
L
I seam sealed my T1 with Seam Grip just as cmeier117 said. Time consuming, but it adds a level of water protection and durability to the stitching.

is it the seams that have problems with the packs or is it just the fabric itself?

cmeier117

WKR
is it the seams that have problems with the packs or is it just the fabric itself?

I don't want to be mis understood there is no problem with the packs. It is just the nature of the beast that packs with 1000's of sticking holes cannot be water proof. There are no waterproof packs I know of that would have the suspension to carry the loads we need them to carry. The Fabric is very water resistant I believe both sides of the Cordura is coated. The real only place to leak is the stitching and I do not think this is a problem at all. It is just the nature of the beast. I do not do this on my current packs as I do not think it really pays off the packs shed weather very well.

cmeier117

WKR
This is a pic that show the type of weather these packs can keep your stuff dry in. If rained all day and had a few white outs then sun. So my pack looked like this and then would melt and my pack was wet all day, but everything inside was dry. I also threw the pack in the back of my truck which had snow in it on way home and the inside was still dry when I got home.

Attachments

• Timberline.jpg
    Timberline.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 65
I have used gallon zip loc bags in the past.. they just seem to puncture easily. I just wonder about spraying some water repellant spary and taping the seams. I will most likely get some dry bags and use those. thanks for all the input

Try the freezer bag variety of the gallon zip lock bags, they are of a more durable material than the plain gallon zip lock bags so they likely will not puncture as easily.