Waterproof membranes. Worth it?

Hi all. Have been reading and searching but haven’t found consolidated information or a lengthy discussion on waterproof membranes in boots. It seems they hold up one or two years at best and then will leak. Also seems many agree boots with membranes run hot and make your feet sweat a lot more than boots without membranes. I know a pair of cheaper North Face hikers I have with GoreTex are very hot. GoreTex and others claim breathable but really how breathable are they? Compared to rubber, sure. But enough to allow feet not to sweat or dry quickly once the activity slows down?

So the question is if the membrane breaks down within a couple years and are no longer waterproof, and the membrane makes a boot run hot and your foot sweat more, why get a boot with a membrane at all? Just get non-waterproof, wax them, run gaiters, and don’t expect miracles. Note, I hunt and hike in hot to mild temps so I’m really not looking for anything extra to keep my feet warm. And would like as breathable a mountain boot as possible but still stiff soled, sturdy, and rugged.

Last edited:

wapitibob

WKR
In my experience if Goretex actually breathed enough to cool your foot it wouldn't keep out dirt let alone water. And I've had gtx lined hikers that didn't even keep the dirt out.

Mike 338

WKR
Last season, started the hike in, in pouring rain, later turning to snow. Boots were subjected to stream crossings and 5 days in snow. The snow was often very wet. Boots were never inside a tent (hammock). Feet were dry except for sweat. Kennetrek Boots/non-insulated. Plenty of blisters but no leaks.

OP
L
Last season, started the hike in, in pouring rain, later turning to snow. Boots were subjected to stream crossings and 5 days in snow. The snow was often very wet. Boots were never inside a tent (hammock). Feet were dry except for sweat. Kennetrek Boots/non-insulated. Plenty of blisters but no leaks.
That’s good to hear except about the blisters. How old/used are your boots? I have a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extremes NI and Schnee’s Beartooth Classics NI here and need to decide which ones to keep. Both fit well and are comfortable but I’d probably keep the Kenetreks (maybe, tough call) if not for that membrane. I’d be pretty bummed if the boots started leaking after 2-3 years (or less) and all I had was an ineffective membrane making my feet hotter than necessary.

Last edited:

*zap*

WKR
If it is wet it is worth it, if it not your feet generally sweat too much with the membrane.

Mike 338

WKR
That’s good to hear except about the blisters. How old/used are your boots? I have a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extremes NI and Schnee’s Beartooth Classics NI here and need to decide which ones to keep. Both fit well and are comfortable but I’d probably keep the Kenetreks (maybe, tough call) if not for that membrane. I’d be pretty bummed if the boots started leaking after 2-3 years (or less) and all I had was an ineffective membrane making my feet hotter than necessary.

About 4 or 5 years old. Pretty much a deer/elk boot so they don't have massive miles on them. Most of it's been straight up and down. Nice boot but my heel slips. Never been babied and they've held up great.

OP
L
Well I went with the Schnee’s Beartooth Classics. I decided not to try and make one boot do it all and these will be my hot to cool weather dryer climate boots. Which is what I will be in most of the time for now. The waterproof Mountain Extremes we’re noticeably hotter just standing in them for an hour at my desk. Pretty excited to get them on the trails this weekend.

BTW, Mike 338, you might know but I used this method of lacing to eliminate the heel slip in the Beartooth. Worked very well. I was surprised at how effective it was.

Last edited: