Waterproof Sleeping bag compression stuff sack?

a3dhunter

WKR
Wondering what you guys are using?

I need something big enough for my Big Agness Encampment 15 degree long bag, Insulated air core pad and I also leave my bivy sack on my bag when going into the stuff sack to make things easier.

The last one lasted 3-4 years, wondering what is the best out there?

Any thoughts on the Granite Gear eVent sack?
http://www.rei.com/product/807788/granite-gear-event-sil-compression-drysack

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
Sea to summit event compression bag is what i use. my marmot lithium 0* fits snug into a medium and easily into a large heavier than your link though.

I like these, because even if you cant squeeze all the air out of them before compressing, the event material in the bottom allows you to push out as much air as you want.

Those granite gear ones sure beat mine on the weight scale.

Im thinking about using a kifaru meat bag for a stuff sac for my bag, to shed some weight, I just need to find a good method to tie off the opening.

I put my slick 20 deb bag, extra socks, extra underwear, merino top and bottom and kuiu spindrift all into a kifaru (med I believe) compression sack. I think the kifaru sacks are the best at compressing things and then if I need waterproofing I used the sea to summit event compression sack for waterproff, size large I believe. There is room to put some other stuff in the sack if I need it even. With everything in the kifaru bag it cinches down real small.

swat8888

WKR
I just use standard lightweight roll top dry bags. The extra weight of the compression straps just isn't worth a couple more cubic inches in my pack. Currently use the Outdoor Research ones and they have served me well. If you just compress them tight and stuff them in your pack tight they will stay pretty small.

I use the roll top sea to summit event bags. I can get my WM bag plenty small stuffing and rolling it so I tend to agree that the compression straps aren't needed. (At least not for down bags)

2rocky

WKR
I think the compression straps don't allow the bag to fill in small voids if drawn too tight. compact = good, unyielding rock = bad.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yup, as others have said the compression straps have proven to be unnecessary. After several seasons of using the sea to summit compression sacks with the compression part just hanging off, we went with some OR roll top bags. You can pretty much any gear you put into them compressed plenty tight with your hands, and as 2Rocky pointed out it can be hard to fit the full compression sack into your pack when it is rock hard. We sometimes wait to roll the top until its loaded into the designated space inside the backpack. That way you can compress it into the shape you want and still push all the extra air out.

I have also been using a regular roll top the last couple years. Been using an oversize one and throwing my extra socks, long underwear, sat phone, and anything else that should stay dry in there also. Saves having to bring multiple drybags.

Yk

slim9300

WKR
Take a look at the Granite Gear Überlight 18L. Other than the price it's perfect for the ounce counting backcountry hunter.

OP
a3dhunter

a3dhunter

WKR
slim, looks like the 18L is the biggest they make.
Jake and I were measuring things the other day. Looks like with the air pad and bivy sack going into the same sack with my bag I will need to have a 22L-25L stuff sack.
Previous sack was 10" by 20" on spec sheet, which when actually measured was more like 9.5"x22" when stuffed and it was pretty tight.

Last edited:

slim9300

WKR
slim, loos like the 18L is the biggest they make.
Jake and I were measuring things the other day. Looks like with the air pad and bivy sack going into the same sack with my bag I will need to have a 22L-25L stuff sack.
Previous sack was 10" by 20" on spec sheet, which when actually measured was more like 9.5"x22" when stuffed and it was pretty tight.

Crazy. 18L is huge. Your bag must take up some serious space. :)

Lawnboi

WKR
Does anyone have a kifaru meat baggy that they can try putting a bag in and sealing up? I know once you seam seal it the only way water is getting in is the part you would have to tie, but unless its submerged i dont see water getting in.

That seems like it would be the lightest weight option, and it will serve more than one purpose.

bobhunts

WKR
Funny that I would look at this thread ..I don't even know how many years later but of all places I bought five of the same type of dry compression bags from the Sportsmans Guide and they work great and very durable. Not sure how they work out in the weight classifcation but if I need one that bad a few ounces will not make up for the price. They were dirt cheap and I cannot even remember what I paid. But if I bought five I can assure you they were dirt cheap as I have given away two and the guys love them. Bob.

been using the event dry comp from OR with good results. had a beer get punctured inside my pack this summer and drain 16oz of PBR all over my sleeping bag and she was still good to go inside.
i will agree i dont know if you really need the compression straps and you can really get it compressed by hand then rolled...

As others have stated, go with the roll top bags. I use both the sea to summit and outdoor research bags. Y can even save some extra ounces by buying the sil-nylon dry bags.

keep

Lil-Rokslider
I have the xl Sea to Summit eVent. I can mail it to you to try and then mail it back when you are done if you want to see how everything fits.