Waterproof?

2ski

WKR
Was just curious if Kifaru packs were waterproof or do you need a rain cover? I don't recall seeing anyone mention it. I'm kind of assuming a pack that people are taking on all kinds of narly hunts would probably be waterproof, but wanted to ask first.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not "waterproof" but very water resilient. Anything I need 100% waterproof goes into a Sea to Summit Ultra Dry Sack. It takes some pretty heavy and continuous rain to soak through. More likely to leak through zippers. They also make a rain cover or at least used to.

MattB

WKR
The KU packs take on a surprising amount of water through the seams, so even packs made of water-proof materials aren't water-proof unless the seams are taped or sealed.

For the cordura packs, a rain cover would be a good idea.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I don't use a rain cover, but I live in Colorado and it rains very little.

I stick whatever I need waterproofed into a waterproof bag, but again, it doesn't rain much in my neck of the woods.

Like Matt said, the safest bet is a rain cover.

Sea to Summit, Outdoor Research and Integral Design make great rain covers.

reedjj

FNG
I do the same. Waterproof bag for what really needs to be water proofed.

I also take a poncho on every hunt. Its a Marine thing, I think.

It still comes in very handy when showers pop up in the mountains. I keep it where I can easily access it. It covers me, my pack and my bow. Very versatile piece of gear.

stephen b

WKR
2nd the poncho- one of the most useful piece of gear that you can carry. Has multiple uses.

I usually carry a 7 oz GL poncho. Plus then I can also get away with out rain gear if it is going to be relatively mild, or even for mountain thunderstorms it works good. I hate carrying rain gear unless I have to. I "have to" use it too much in the late season here in Oregon- and if I can avoid using it other times- I will.

I am with the previous couple of posts on this one. I always have a poncho with me. Way too versatile to leave home, especially up here in the pacific northwest.

OP

2ski

WKR
Ok. So would it be better to invest in a rain cover or a few waterproof bags? I see in your videos, Aron, you have some smaller individual waterproof bags you put stuff in that you keep waterproof. All total, are you spending more on the bags than a rain cover, or would it be cheaper getting the cover? It doesn't rain a ton in MT during hunting season, but part of the way I'm justifying spending so much money on a pack is I'll use it during the summer to backpack and camp with. It does rain in June here so just want to be safe.

As far as the ponchos go, I've never really looked into a poncho as rain gear. I have one in my pack as an emergency rain coat backup, but its one of the cheap $2 ones. I'm assuming that is not what you guys are talking about. Something a little durable, I'm assuming. What are some specific ponchos you guys are carrying?

I've carried the USGI poncho. Works great for rain and a small shelter. I use waterproof bags inside my pack because I don't want to deal with having a rain cover flopping around, coming off, other things of that nature. All of my gear is either in a waterproof bag, or ziplocks. So its pointless for me to pack around a rain cover.

i pack alot of things in ziplocks or dry sacks so usually not an issue but this last elk season we encountered an unseasonable 10 straight days of rain, everything i had was soaked! my rain gear was dripping wet on both sides. i bought myself a sea to summit pack cover for xmas ;)
after we bailed from the high country it took like 3 days in woodheat wall tent for my pack to fully dry

MattB

WKR
The pack cover will keep your bag *mostly* dry from a prolonged rain as it only mostly covers the bag. I personally use waterproof stuff sacks for my clothes and sleeping bag and zip lock for my TP regardless. A pack cover won't help if you have a leaky water bladder/stove fuel container or take a spill while crossing a creek.