Waterproofing/protecting Feathers

Clifford

FNG
I’ve been shooting 4” feathers since I got started again in the trad world and was wondering what measures you all take to keep them dry in the back country? I know there are some waterproofing treatments but I’m skeptical about them holding up on extended hunts if it’s wet everyday.

Wrench

WKR
I have used bags from the craft store along with fletch powder and camp dri.

It its a guaranteed wet trip....trad vanes are THE answer.

oldgoat

WKR
Go to Home Depots website and search for Rust-Oleum Never Wet, you want the fabric version, it works great and is long lasting. You want to spray it outdoors and leave at least till next day to dry and have arrows in such away that feathers don't get mashed before they dry. Stuff stinks when wet but it's odorless dry.

O9vgDiOl.jpg

Best I've ever used and I've used a LOT over many years. Tube is the size of big lip balm. Squeeze it out and work it into the feathers with fingers. Cap it and toss it in your arrow case. Your fletch WILL stay dry, and even blood doesn't want to stick to treated feathers. Weight of about 1 ounce.

Mudd Foot

WKR
Going a different direction.... if you research the Ashby reports you’ll find he recommends using 2-2.5 inch fletchings. In his tests, he submerged the fletchings in water for 30 minutes. His findings were that there was no discernible change in flight. Of course, the other arrow construction and tuning factors need to be taken into consideration. Here’s a pic of my arrows with 2.5” feathers. IMG_1101.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

Clifford

FNG
Going a different direction.... if you research the Ashby reports you’ll find he recommends using 2-2.5 inch fletchings. In his tests, he submerged the fletchings in water for 30 minutes. His findings were that there was no discernible change in flight. Of course, the other arrow construction and tuning factors need to be taken into consideration. Here’s a pic of my arrows with 2.5” feathers. View attachment 141419

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the TradLab guy landed on the 2.5” as well. The 4” look cool to me so they have that going for them. I may do some testing in the future.

Beendare

WKR
I've tried the fly stuff and settled on silicone spray.

I can tell you in extended days of rainy weather nothing works perfectly.

But heating/steaming over a pot brings them back.

oldgoat

WKR
Yeah, if you want to refletch when they get rippled! The stuff I mentioned above lasts the life of the feather and for normal people hunting normal areas it works awesome, extended precip events it still works better than nothing. Two years ago elk hunting, it kept my feathers erect enough to hunt during a 72hr rain, fog, snow event.

I’m new to trad, but my first few hunts were all in rain, and I had 0 worries because I use trad vanes exclusively. They tuned out great for me, and even though they do wrinkle slightly, I’ve seen no ill effect on flight.

you’ll have to buy a vane master pro or another jig that guarantees a perfect adhesion, as these things are a booger to fletch. But to me, that’s well worth it to have a relatively bomb proof fletch on a trad arrow.

O9vgDiOl.jpg

Best I've ever used and I've used a LOT over many years. Tube is the size of big lip balm. Squeeze it out and work it into the feathers with fingers. Cap it and toss it in your arrow case. Your fletch WILL stay dry, and even blood doesn't want to stick to treated feathers. Weight of about 1 ounce.

+2 on this stuff. A little goes a long way, and it makes those fletchings ready for a hurricane.

I have used bags from the craft store along with fletch powder and camp dri.

It its a guaranteed wet trip....trad vanes are THE answer.
100% agree. I tried everything last year with my feathers, and nothing worked well enough to be content with.... almost daily my feathers would be matted down.... just hiking through the brush in the morning dew.

I just got some trad vanes, and they are my answer for me, no more feathers for me. trad vanes are much quieter too. I have not found a downside to them yet, it's all i'm gonna use going forward.

I fought feathers constantly, trad vanes are custom made for the coast. 3 4" helical fly really well too. may try 4 3" in the future just to try, but i'm liking the 4" now.... i'm really glad they were designed.

I would shoot an elevated rest and vanes if trad vanes weren't an option, feathers are too high maintenance around here if I can get away with not using them