Ways to remove smoke smell off sleeping pad

OP
JAXNRYLZ

JAXNRYLZ

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a golf travel bag off eBay that had the worst cigarette smoke smell I had ever smelled. I used a ton of Fabreeze and left it outside in a couple of rain storms. That took away most of it. Then I did some Dawn and a garden hose. That finished it off. Much to my surprise.
Thanks! I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I wonder if the "chemicals" would impact the integrity of the sleeping pad?

On the Klymit site, the FAQ I believe says not to use detergents.

mlgc20

WKR
Thanks! I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I wonder if the "chemicals" would impact the integrity of the sleeping pad?

On the Klymit site, the FAQ I believe says not to use detergents.
I hear ya. I would start with the Fabreeze and see what happens. I mean they use Dawn on baby ducks. Can't be that harsh right? :)

Call you local fire/flood Restoration company and see if they'll charge you a small fee to put it in a ozone treatment with a larger load of stuff from a job. I have done with a few times with great results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ozone is great but can damage some materials.

It will deteriorate rubber. If the pad is a rubber compound, use the ozone sparingly. I would probably gift that pad to a friend that smokes and buy a new one. I doubt you will ever get all the odor out of it, and when you put your sleeping bag on it, you might transfer the smell to your sleeping bag.

Get you some of this Arm & Hammer deodorizer ^^ This stuff works. It's marketed for carpets but I use it about 3 times a year to remove the fart smell from my favorite spot on my big couch (someone else must be sitting there when I'm not...) Pour it on the mat, let it marinate for at least 30 mins, then vacuum it up. No mess left and it works wonders.

Also try it on your couch. Farts beware.