"We can rebuild him, we have the technology"

rhendrix

WKR
Due to a recent upper respiratory infection that canned my tree sitting time and ate up my vacation days I've had plenty of time to dream about chasing elk and mule deer in the mountains of the Weminuche Wilderness. Ultimately this led to hours of scouring the internet trying to find a program that will help me strip off body fat, increase my cardiovascular fitness, and get me strong as an ox. The only problem is, with the vast amount of information on the internet at my fingertips, I have no idea how to formulate an action plan to achieve said goals due to my lack of gym equipment and time constraints. I've traditionally squatted, benched, dead lifted and pressed, but I canceled my gym membership in an effort to save more money (I was working out at a CrossFit gym, which was less than ideal and expensive as all get out). So with nothing but a pullup bar, a kettlebell and some running shoes, what can I do to get in shape until I can afford a squat stand, bar, and some weights?

G Posik

WKR
You can go and buy a 50 lb sack of play sand. Put it in your back pack and do lunges. You can do squats with it. You can add more sand to it also. Bleacher climbs with the pack also. This would be some good leg workouts. Focus on core strength also. Really work your abs, lower back and obliques. Push ups will do some good, wide, normal and close hand positions. Can do those with same back pack.

Glenn

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
You can go and buy a 50 lb sack of play sand. Put it in your back pack and do lunges. You can do squats with it. You can add more sand to it also. Bleacher climbs with the pack also. This would be some good leg workouts. Focus on core strength also. Really work your abs, lower back and obliques. Push ups will do some good, wide, normal and close hand positions. Can do those with same back pack.

Glenn

Thanks, hadn't thought about adding a backpack or anything, that is absolutely doable.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you are interested in mixing up you cardio routine, you might look into local running tracks and swimming pools. I was thinking of getting a gym membership for the off season this year (when I am in town more, and it's too cold to exercise outside much) but decided not to after pricing it out. Our local gym wanted $130 a month for me, or $150/month for the two of us. Instead, I got punch cards for my local high school pool and the indoor track at our towns multiuse sports complex. Aside from the work outs I do at home/outdoors , I Can get some variety by going to swim laps twice a week ($4.50 a time with the punch card) and walk or run at the track ($2 a visit with punch card).

I work out at home for free the other days, using videos or doing step aerobics on a 12" step with the wii. Weather permitting I can also xcountry ski, hike or snowshoe essentially for free since I already have the equiptment.

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
My main problem is I have no idea how to structure any of this...programming is not my forte.

My main problem is I have no idea how to structure any of this...programming is not my forte.

If you need help with developing a running plan, let me know. Not looking for anything in return, but i do coach runners from beginner 5K's to 100 milers and everything in between and always willing to help.

unm1136

WKR
People I have worked out with highly recommend hundredpushups.com, hundredsitups.com, and twohundredsquats.com. I am currently kettlebelling and doing Convict Conditioning. If you are in reasonable shape try any of Stu Smith's books or online articles at military.com. He was a SEAL officer who was assigned to the Naval Academy to prepare midshipmen for BUDS, and claims a 85% pass rate. His books are not easy, but the 12 week programs are tough, involving running, swimming, and calesthenics (no equipment required other than a track, a pool, and time). If you have some weights at home then P90X is popular and several co-workers have had success with it. All of these programs will provide daily schedules, and a daily commitment of 10- 75+ minutes a day, three to six days a week, for 2-4 months.

Advice from a retired SEAL and a retired Special Forces Sergeant Major as well as a Warrant Officer and SGM from the Unit formerly known as Delta Force all have the same advice for Rucking. All of them worked in assessment and selection for their former units.
1. Make sure your boots fit and are broken in.
2. Start slow. One day a week, no more than 3 miles a day for the first couple of months.
3. Don't run with a pack on. Try to go a little faster each week, 30 minute miles to start with are fine. Build up to 15 minute miles, and then add a mile a month.
4. Weights should be kept reasonable, 25-35 pounds to start with, and if you want to be psycho increase regularly.
5. If you are psycho, add another day every few months.
6. Change only one parameter (distance,frequency, speed, weight) per month.

These Former Acrion Guys all advised those rules to save your joints. Two of them are classified as disabled. They all have said that there are reasons that their former units did things a specific way, but that sports science is showing them better ways, and if they were mentoring folks with an interest in going into Special Operations, this is the advice the give to prepare.

pat

Last edited:

unm1136

WKR
I just re-read your post. I just picked up the RKC Book of Strength and Conditioning from dragondoor.com that and Convict Conditioning are what I am currently working on while running 2-3 days a week and rucking one day a week. For ebooks they are a little spendy, but there is a special until friday for the Strength and Conditioning ebook, ($7.00 off). I like them very much. They also have daily schedules for you to follow.

pat

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
Arrowslinger, PM inbound.

I have access to a C2 rower, but not a pool, I'm fairly certain that the two are comparable. I wish I could find an indoor pool that would let me use a punch card though, that'd be awesome.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Arrowslinger, PM inbound.

I have access to a C2 rower, but not a pool, I'm fairly certain that the two are comparable. I wish I could find an indoor pool that would let me use a punch card though, that'd be awesome.
Check with your county/borough, or the local high school pool. The schedule for lap swim in my area kind of sucks (5:30 am, noon, or 5:30pm are the only choices) but its awesome exercise! I recently picked up a waterproof case and headphones for my iPod, and the hour swimming laps flies by now that I have some tunes!

I've been using the TacFit body weight program most of this year.
I'm on the road, in hotels 2-3 days weekly and this allows me to do full workouts in the hotel room and at home.
I've improved my cardio condition and strength.
May not be for everyone, but it may be an option for a no-equipment, low cost routine.

jmez

WKR
Google 92 cross fit workouts with no equipment. Take you to a blog with all of the workouts.

Make some slosh tubes. 4 inch PVC pipe, 4 foot, 6 foot and 8 foot sections. Glue a cap on one end and fill half way with water, glue cap on other end. You can to all kinds of workouts with these. Lunges, overhead press, squats etc. Also great for carrying around over your head.

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
I was in the Weminuche for a week this year, and if you are planning a backpack hunt I would recommend running stairs for two hours a day with a 50-75# pack on. It is rough country with a pack in of 15-18 miles to get where the elk are. Our entire week was spent between 11,500' and 13,000'.