We cannot let the cure be worse than the problem

mb6355

Lil-Rokslider
The CDC minimum estimate of flu deaths (23K-59K) in the US alone this last flu season are about what COVID-19 deaths globally are at this point - https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

So the "biggest health crisis of our time" would have to kill another 20K in the US to just match the low end of the flu estimate from Oct 19 to March of this year.

The hysteria and economic fallout from this will be far worse if this shutdown continues much longer. I live in New Orleans, one of the so called hot spots for this virus. Almost the entire economic system here is done. Most all of the hotels and restaurants are closed and employees laid off. All events are pretty much canceled until at least July. Some of the restaurants are doing take out only but many of those are starting to close as well since the majority of customers were tourists and the locals that still have a job are curtailing spending due to the fear of this lasting weeks or months. If this goes much longer, health repercussions from ecomnomic depression will far exceed anything from this virus.

Today the total number of patients announced by Louisiana Dept of Health in the hospital are only 773 and 113 "related" deaths. The hospitals are no where near capacity. So 4.5 million people have to self isolate and thousands lose their jobs in just this state alone for a virus that so far does not even come close to the letahality of the annual flu.

The CDC minimum estimate of flu deaths (23K-59K) in the US alone this last flu season are about what COVID-19 deaths globally are at this point - https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

So the "biggest health crisis of our time" would have to kill another 20K in the US to just match the low end of the flu estimate from Oct 19 to March of this year.

The hysteria and economic fallout from this will be far worse if this shutdown continues much longer. I live in New Orleans, one of the so called hot spots for this virus. Almost the entire economic system here is done. Most all of the hotels and restaurants are closed and employees laid off. All events are pretty much canceled until at least July. Some of the restaurants are doing take out only but many of those are starting to close as well since the majority of customers were tourists and the locals that still have a job are curtailing spending due to the fear of this lasting weeks or months. If this goes much longer, health repercussions from ecomnomic depression will far exceed anything from this virus.

Today the total number of patients announced by Louisiana Dept of Health in the hospital are only 773 and 113 "related" deaths. The hospitals are no where near capacity. So 4.5 million people have to self isolate and thousands lose their jobs in just this state alone for a virus that so far does not even come close to the letahality of the annual flu.

So why do you think all of the governing bodies are shutting things down. Remember Republicans, Democrats, foreign governments all over the world are all doing the same thing. None of them react like this for the flu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndyB

WKR
Going off Italy's numbers today they have just 22 days, to reach your flu figures...……. not including their previous deaths (91840)..... somethings coming and I fear its going to be big.

They are building centres in London, Manchester and Birmingham with 2000 beds per ward, 2 wards in each, calling them 'Florence Nightingale' wards. Look her up.

Last time I looked US had 80,000 tested positive, if 64,000 (80%) of those survive you have already hit 16000 deaths.

Hope I am wrong.

I got a phone call from HR today informing me the Chief is taking me off the run, as I have mild asthma which doesn't bother me at all, passed every medical ive ever had. (32 yrs Fire service) which means our pump is off the run between 5pm till 9am every day.

They know something they are not telling us.

We will be waving goodbye to globalisation...……….or big brother is coming.

*zap*

WKR
USA deaths were 580 the evening of 3/23, this evening 1,600 or so...tripled in 3 days, if that keeps up.....

This is a surreal situation that I never imagined would happen and I basically think that anything is possible as a rule.....e-z to second guess after some time has passed, if Trump closed the borders last November he would have faced impeachment for racism.....now the ones who would have lead that fight say that is what he should have done and now we would be AOK...... 🏴‍☠️

The political division within this country will never heal....

FLAK

WKR
Yep, something going on we don't know about. We're not getting the whole story,
I think to curb the panic. I'm not so sure its a virus we need to worry about.

Prisma Health here in SC is furloughing workers because they are scaling back elective procedures.

So the healthcare workers that will be so critical in helping fight COVID are being given the middle finger right now, while airlines are being saved once again, and big banks that were saved not long ago haven't put a hold on all mortgages.

There's some f**king screwed up priorities in this country.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Prisma Health here in SC is furloughing workers because they are scaling back elective procedures.

So the healthcare workers that will be so critical in helping fight COVID are being given the middle finger right now, while airlines are being saved once again, and big banks that were saved not long ago haven't put a hold on all mortgages.

There's some f**king screwed up priorities in this country.
Same thing happened to my mother in law. She was a nurse in an elective surgery facility. Difference is, she realized her need and went and got a job in a hospital dealing with COVID19. EVERYONE has to adapt, complaining about how unfair the system is, does nothing. She is now making double the money she was with all her overtime. Modern day gold rush for the healthcare workers if you are willing to adapt.

Same thing happened to my mother in law. She was a nurse in an elective surgery facility. Difference is, she realized her need and went and got a job in a hospital dealing with COVID19. EVERYONE has to adapt, complaining about how unfair the system is, does nothing. She is now making double the money she was with all her overtime. Modern day gold rush for the healthcare workers if you are willing to adapt.

These employees are not in elective surgery facilities. They are in the area hospitals that will be dealing with COVID. Just the patient numbers aren't there yet. These aren't small day surgery or outpatient surgery facilities. These are large 400-1000 bed hospitals. Not the same as your mother in law. So to say that people have to cope is plain ignorance in this instance. These workers are being sent home now and put in holding pattern until the hosptial needs them again. They don't get to renegotiate pay.

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
So why do you think all of the governing bodies are shutting things down. Remember Republicans, Democrats, foreign governments all over the world are all doing the same thing. None of them react like this for the flu.

Doing something, because other people do is usually a poor reason. That's what sheep and penguins do. Shutting things down is a good idea in this case, because it will probably save a whole lot of lives. The US is very different than the world and far better.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
These employees are not in elective surgery facilities. They are in the area hospitals that will be dealing with COVID. Just the patient numbers aren't there yet. These aren't small day surgery or outpatient surgery facilities. These are large 400-1000 bed hospitals. Not the same as your mother in law. So to say that people have to cope is plain ignorance in this instance. These workers are being sent home now and put in holding pattern until the hosptial needs them again. They don't get to renegotiate pay.
Do you honestly expect business's to continue to pay their workers with no income coming in? Welcome to the cure is costing more than the original problem.. Healthcare workers laid off, get the same unemployment assistance as a landscaper. Alot of us are losing money right now. Adapting is the key. Grocery stores are hiring like gang busters, Amazon, private labs. Be glad that they still have their health and have some tangible skills. As this continues to get worse, those laid off in the hospitals will be brought back under different capacity's. I am not a glass is half empty kind of guy. Money can be made if there is a desire. My Sister in law is a Surgeon in a major hospital in a top 3 outbreak area. ALL of her surgeries were cancelled. She is now working in the COVID19 ICU area of the hospital.

Airlines are being saved because they are ESSENTIAL to our economy. Their workers are being furloughed and layed off as well. It is happening everywhere, in every occupation except a small select few. It is basic common sense. No money coming in, no money going out.

Do you honestly expect business's to continue to pay their workers with no income coming in? Welcome to the cure is costing more than the original problem.. Healthcare workers laid off, get the same unemployment assistance as a landscaper. Alot of us are losing money right now. Adapting is the key. Grocery stores are hiring like gang busters, Amazon, private labs. Be glad that they still have their health and have some tangible skills. As this continues to get worse, those laid off in the hospitals will be brought back under different capacity's. I am not a glass is half empty kind of guy. Money can be made if there is a desire. My Sister in law is a Surgeon in a major hospital in a top 3 outbreak area. ALL of her surgeries were cancelled. She is now working in the COVID19 ICU area of the hospital.

Airlines are being saved because they are ESSENTIAL to our economy. Their workers are being furloughed and layed off as well. It is happening everywhere, in every occupation except a small select few. It is basic common sense. No money coming in, no money going out.

There's the problem, is healthcare a business? Should it be? Should airlines get a bigger payoff than hospital systems in the relief package? Are airlines more essential than the hospitals and staff that will actually be fighting the disease? Bailed out airlines a few years ago have been making record profits and paying shareholders and executives fortunes while not being fiscally sound to weather a storm without government help.

I'm not saying that adaptability isn't important. But equating a doctor's ability to find work vs nurse tech, central supply, etc is not the same. I haven't been affected by these furlough's yet and am in a better financial situation than most, but it strikes me as disingenuous and two-faced to talk about how important healthcare workers are, but then not fully support them when needed.

But I do see your point and agree.

satchamo

WKR
Biggest health crisis? Time will tell. Biggest over reaction is probably more likely. Suicides because of financial distress might catch up to covid19 deaths. Last year there was 45,000 suicides in the US. I bet we blow that number out of the water this year.. more than likely far exceeding the covid19 deaths..

You’re comparing apples to oranges with that argument. Suicide didn’t start in a Chinese city, spread worldwide in 6 months killing thousands against their , spiral the US and thus the world economy into a recession. Everyday life has been completely uprooted for pretty much the entire world. No, we haven’t experienced anything like this in our lifetimes. The effects are going to be seen for years and years to come.

Everyone wants to turn this into strictly a debate about the death toll and this is far more reaching than that.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
No, we haven’t experienced anything like this in our lifetimes. The effects are going to be seen for years and years to come.

We have flu epidemics every single year world wide, and we have 100's of 1000's that die every year from it. Why does this virus, and the deaths from it, have to be any different?

And every year we hear "But I got the flu shot, why did I get the flu?" And they always say "Because there are new strains of the flu this year, so the vaccine doesn't work on those." Well, this year we got a new strain of virus that we've never seen before and people are getting it, and some people are dying. That sounds pretty familiar to every other year.

We have flu epidemics every single year world wide, and we have 100's of 1000's that die every year from it. Why does this virus, and the deaths from it, have to be any different?

And every year we hear "But I got the flu shot, why did I get the flu?" And they always say "Because there are new strains of the flu this year, so the vaccine doesn't work on those." Well, this year we got a new strain of virus that we've never seen before and people are getting it, and some people are dying. That sounds pretty familiar to every other year.

I wonder how long you’re going to hang on to the “this is just another flu” idea. As the bodies pile up, day by day, I’m curious when your opinion will change.

Just does not seem reasonable to me to dub this "just another flu like virus". The entire world has basically come to a halt. Us common folk aren't getting the whole truth concerning this virus. Who knows what the truth is or how this will all shake out. But as for me and mine, we will take every precaution we possibly can to try and avoid catching it. That means staying home and keeping to ourselves as much as possible.