We cannot let the cure be worse than the problem

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
No one knows what the true death rate is, even now, because we don't know how many people have been infected.

At this point I'd just like to see what the death rates are for those that have been hospitalized and those that have been put on ventilators. The ventilator almost seems like a death sentence from what we're hearing.

Bl704

WKR
At this point I'd just like to see what the death rates are for those that have been hospitalized and those that have been put on ventilators. The ventilator almost seems like a death sentence from what we're hearing.
The reason most are admitted is from pneumonia like symptons as their lungs fill with fluid. If you dont get air, you die. The ventilator the means to force air into the lungs to try to keep patients alive.

With symptoms already severe enough to admit, especially during a pandemic, its 'ungood' to start with...

jmez

WKR

Dr. that my wife is friends with said latest numbers she has seen is 20% success once you go on the ventilator.

Don't know, but why stop there........go for another $2 Trillion. It's only paper.
That's the line item for defense spending in the 2020 budget...seems really ridiculous now.
Point being is that the Goverment, both sides, were completely unprepared for this and now folks want them to be the answer...
Some stuff you just cant make up....

Mike7

WKR
IF:
The virus has been here before we were testing.
AND:
We know people are dying from the virus.
THEN:
People were dying from it before we knew what they had.

Just because the case rate is not exact at this moment doesn't mean that people weren't dying from a unknown viral pneumonia or subsequent bacterial pneumonia after recovery.

Epidemiologists have models that take these things into account.

Crap info in = crap info out.

Believe it or not, there are people in every profession who talk out of their butt. If you hear an epidemiologist making more than a somewhat educated guess while early on in a situation like this, then listen with a healthy dose of skepticism.

For example, out of the 10-15 people that I have talked to with likely COVID19 at various stages of the disease over the past several days based upon their symptoms, less than 1/2 were planning on getting tested.

Conversely, of the 5-10 who might but probably don't have it/COVID19, 100% were getting tested because of return to work issues.

Crap info in = crap info out.

Believe it or not, there are people in every profession who talk out of their butt. If you hear an epidemiologist making more than a somewhat educated guess while early on in a situation like this, then listen with a healthy dose of skepticism.

For example, out of the 10-15 people that I have talked to with likely COVID19 at various stages of the disease over the past several days based upon their symptoms, less than 1/2 were planning on getting tested.

Conversely, of the 5-10 who might but probably don't have it/COVID19, 100% were getting tested because of return to work issues.

Thus why most epidemiologists will tell you that we won't really know the numbers until a year or to after the situation has passed. The media and our leadership demand numbers to give people and then love to blame the scientists when they warned them they weren't exact in the 1st place. Thus why even now the flu rates and deaths are always a range and an estimation, they are taking your scenario into account.

I don't believe Dr. Fauci is talking out of his butt. Nor do I think public health officials are interested in creating hysteria without good cause.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
That's the line item for defense spending in the 2020 budget...seems really ridiculous now.

Why do you think it was ridiculous? There's a whole lot of maintenance backlog that needs taken care of in our military in all services, as well as other areas that need attention. That $738 billion is a good thing after so many years of degradation.

Why do you think it was ridiculous? There's a whole lot of maintenance backlog that needs taken care of in our military in all services, as well as other areas that need attention. That $738 billion is a good thing after so many years of degradation.

Thank you for making my point. Our country/economy is basically shut down due our Government forgetting history and having absolutely no plan for this but that military maintenance backlog is going to get done this year....That will help me sleep better tonight.

It doesn't matter how many drooling morons like Trump. Popularity won't mitigate his utter incompetence and incredible volumes of BS and lies he spews. Maybe if his sheep follow his lead the problem with self correct though.
Thank you for making my point...we have a Government problem in this country...Government includes the Rs and the Ds...everybody is so worried about their side and who is right...what happens now when both sides dont have any idea what to do...they point fingers over who was more wrong...that's productive....

Roughly 2% of infected need a ventilator. Roughly 10% of those infected need intensive attention, and over 80% who are positive never even know they have it. And, that most who were testing positive with mild symptoms were being sent home to self quarantine. Most that needed a ventilator was able to get off of it within three days. All this from a video posted by a fellow rokslider, of the lead doctor at a hospital in NY that is treating the largest amount of Covid 19 patients, most of those get off the ventilator.

This could all change in a blink of an eye. But, its getting more likely every day that it could be for the better instead of the worse.

Foldem

WKR
Yeah if you increase the denominator by testing more people the death rate goes down, cases go up... but if you have MILLIONS of unreported cases the true death rate goes down. I'll take the under on the 1.8% by the end. The stats are biased toward testing those already in bad shape. We are not testing 80% of the cases.

Do I need to start my post by holding my degrees up to a camera too? Math is math, you don't have to be a tummy tuck doc to know that.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Thank you for making my point. Our country/economy is basically shut down due our Government forgetting history and having absolutely no plan for this but that military maintenance backlog is going to get done this year....That will help me sleep better tonight.

Our country/economy isn't shut down because of the government forgetting history and having no plan for it. It's shut down because everyone including the government went into panic mode. So we're shutting the entire body down to try to save a small part of the little toe. There is nothing in our history that they could fall back on for that. But after this fiasco, there will be plenty to remember and fall back on in memories. Meanwhile, with the entire world in panic mode as well, it's a real good time to have our military capable and ready so that we can all sleep well at night.

Foldem

WKR