We cannot let the cure be worse than the problem

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I completely agree about the panic...You know what causes goverments to panic...lack of a plan.

I'm pretty sure Trump had his plans........but it is an election year, and that would have solidified his getting voted out.........even though it would have been what was best for the nation as a whole. Most of America doesn't operate with the "best for the nation" mentality. So that kind of mentality doesn't do well at the voting booths, regardless of whether it is what is actually needed or not. That's why it is so hard for a true conservative to get elected these days.......the "what's in it for me" folks won't allow that.

Deadfall

WKR
When has the flu halted the economy and spread (community spread) to every continent in the world and overwhelmed hospitals in a matter of months?

This is not the flu. I think you are making the argument (and I know it comes from a good place) to make the situation feel more rational or controlled.... but this is not the flu. Calling it that is an attempt to downplay the severity of what we’re dealing with.

Regardless - my only mission in posting here was not to argue about the reach of the disease, it was to argue that our leaderships delays and incompetence have cost us in lives, economic interruption and a country wide fear that is largely because this is so out of control. If our gov’t had acted swiftly and precisely we wouldn’t be having this discussion. We all need to drop our red team vs blue team bullshit and realize this was a huge blunder, hold the ones accountable for it when this is done and learn from it.
Trump was trying to address this months ago. He caught hell, plus all the other distracting nonsense going on at the time derailed any real prep. Jan. Trump wa closing down flights from China. Senator cotton and trump were trying to curtail this thing. Schirmer and Pelosi should be hanged from a tall tree.

Taking any government money will be a mistake as well. That shit ain't nothing but a bribe. Look at how much Boeing is getting. Now them fools already talking about more stimulus money. We ain't gonna see any of it.

VTJ

FNG
this is what happens when tyrannical democrat Governors and authoritarian governments take control ... police states …. the mind set of the "we MUST do something" mentality …..

excaliber

WKR
Trump is getting pounded from both sides. If he did nothing and a million people died he'd pay for it big time. Now they are still saying he acted too slowly.
If the death toll is much less than the 100-200,000 that the new model predicts many will say he destroyed the economy for no reason.
Not a good place to be in during an election year.

The Drive by Media is hammering him left and right. My Wife works in the Medical field and most everyone says this is serious stuff.
Hopefully summer comes with hotter than usual temps and high humidity to knock this virus out. Everyone stay safe and be careful..

Rmauch20

WKR
Trump is getting pounded from both sides. If he did nothing and a million people died he'd pay for it big time. Now they are still saying he acted too slowly.
If the death toll is much less than the 100-200,000 that the new model predicts many will say he destroyed the economy for no reason.

The Drive by Media is hammering him left and right. My Wife works in the Medical field and most everyone says this is serious stuff.
Hopefully summer comes with hotter than usual temps and high humidity to knock this virus out. Everyone stay safe and be careful..
Yeah I really don’t get it. Everybody’s falling in love with Governor Cuomo but if you look at the current statistics New York City is a dumpster fire. Doesn’t make a whole Lotta sense

That's the dilemma any leader faces in these instances.
-Was the death count/rate low because the virus wasn't bad, or because we acted quickly to mitigate?

If we make changes to mitigate climate change (as a majority of scientists are begging) and the climate changes aren't that bad, who was right? The scientists or the deniers?

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
Yeah I really don’t get it. Everybody’s falling in love with Governor Cuomo but if you look at the current statistics New York City is a dumpster fire. Doesn’t make a whole Lotta sense
Everyone in New York loves him. He's charismatic, very articulate, and has a very powerful presence. Politics doesn't make any sense, it's totally irrational!! God help the country if Cuomo becomes President. He'll open the prisons and borders, confiscate our guns, tax us into oblivion, and burden our children and grandchildren with debt they'll never be able to pay off. Bill

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
If we make changes to mitigate climate change (as a majority of scientists are begging) and the climate changes aren't that bad, who was right? The scientists or the deniers?
It won't matter because if we stop using coal, gas and oil immediately and completely crush our economy we will be scavenging through trash for food and fuel to burn to try and stay warm!!

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
this is what happens when tyrannical democrat Governors and authoritarian governments take control ... police states …. the mind set of the "we MUST do something.
And they are letting some violent criminals out of prison. People forget America is special in that we are "supposed to be and were" a government by and for the people. We are becoming a people by and for the government. Bill

VTJ

FNG
Vermont is now telling its residents what they can purchase and what they can NOT purchase ….

in the words of Rush ..

"We've taken care of everything
The words you read, the songs you sing
The pictures that give pleasure to your eyes
It's one for all and all for one
We work together, common sons
Never need to wonder how or why"

"Look around this world we've made
Equality our stock and trade
come and join the brotherhood of Man
Oh, what a nice contented world
Let the banners be unfurled
Hold the Red Star proudly high in hand "…... WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL >> WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL

Venom One

WKR
No one is talking about "flatlining" cases ... all scenarios consider herd immunity (i.e. >70%) to be the eventual outcome. The ONLY difference is if we overwhelm the system or not. Disruptions (economic or morbidity/mortality rates) are both very difficult to predict -- "getting it just right" probably is too much to expect.

Good luck to all out there -- whatever disruption bothers you the most.

Agree completely. We do have to restore the economy soon, but we have to bring the infection rate down so we don't overwhelm the health care system.

Venom One

WKR
Trump is in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" position right now, whatever he does will piss a lot of people off. hopefully most can see that. i'm pretty much at the point I will just trust the decisions he makes are the best of the options we have available.

he has been pretty solid in his term being decisive and making good decisions, he has exceeded my expectations of him when he became president..... but he's in a tough spot right now.

I guarantee he will be on his A game through this, but he has been thoughtful and decisive to this point in his presidency. when he was elected, my thoughts were he was the lesser of 2 evils, but I have gained respect for him from what he has done and how he's done it.

he does need to stay off twitter, but he's done a better job than I expected. he can't do right with this in everyone's eyes, he has the highest stress job in the world right now..... lots of eyes on him, and the decisions he makes in the near future will be tough (that's an understatement)

of course many will hate him regardless, but i'm glad it's him rather than some presidents we've had in the past, or presidents we could have had now.

Agree 100%. I thought the country made a big mistake when he got elected, but he won me over with his response to illegal immigration and China. Definitely wish he'd stay off Twitter.

2blade

WKR
food for thought

stifling dissent already

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
Vermont is now telling its residents what they can purchase and what they can NOT purchase ….

in the words of Rush ..

"We've taken care of everything
The words you read, the songs you sing
The pictures that give pleasure to your eyes
It's one for all and all for one
We work together, common sons
Never need to wonder how or why"

"Look around this world we've made
Equality our stock and trade
come and join the brotherhood of Man
Oh, what a nice contented world
Let the banners be unfurled
Hold the Red Star proudly high in hand "…... WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL >> WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL

one of their best songs ever!

*zap*

WKR
This situation has potential to be very dangerous to all of us.......I do not know where to let my thought run too.....

Anything and everything is a definite possibility.

I'm pretty sure Trump had his plans........but it is an election year, and that would have solidified his getting voted out.........even though it would have been what was best for the nation as a whole. Most of America doesn't operate with the "best for the nation" mentality. So that kind of mentality doesn't do well at the voting booths, regardless of whether it is what is actually needed or not. That's why it is so hard for a true conservative to get elected these days.......the "what's in it for me" folks won't allow that.
When it comes to this virus no one in any political office has a plan. Never did. That's why in 2020 we are using a 14th century technology to fight this that's all we have. If that's not a total fail of all government I dont know what is...Unfortunately it appears the powers at be are more occupied pointing out who was more wrong...smh

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
When it comes to this virus no one in any political office has a plan. Never did. That's why in 2020 we are using a 14th century technology to fight this that's all we have. If that's not a total fail of all government I dont know what is...Unfortunately it appears the powers at be are more occupied pointing out who was more wrong...smh

Why do "some" people think it's the government's job to take care of them?

jmez

WKR
Because tort attorneys aren't the only ones that employ the reptile theory. The government uses it as well, and it works.