We have Gunwerks Clymr at home

NSI

WKR
You may recall my failed efforts to entice Gunwerks to inlet a Clymr for Tikkas last month. Out of pure frustration I called the only other company who brags about stock ergonomics and paid them $1,349 to fill my Clymr-shaped hole.

Allterra recently updated their $849 Tikka stock with a choice goodie from their most recent r700 clone model: a recessed pic/flushcup rail. Bedding is absolutely mandatory per Allterra, so I sent them a spare action (excuse the abused cerakote, this one has some miles) and had them do their worst for $250. Their bedding work is absolutely fantastic. You can see from pictures that both the barrel channel T-nuts and the action area were treated with care and precision. I've had bedding done by bad and very good (LRI) in the past, and this job is on the far end of the latter spectrum.

IMG_1589.jpeg

The astute amongst you will note that our total is now $249 shy of my figure. Knowing that this stock would not come in mountain-light, I threw some cash at turning it into the ultimate NRL Hunter Tikka. The first $75 was a bribe for Todd to cut a new CNC inlet program for the Atlasworx AICS bottom metal. It is definitively not a drop-in for a t3x inlet, no matter how sloppy.

IMG_1594.jpeg

The next 90 bucks went to an exceptionally slick SRS balance-point ARCA install.
IMG_1588.jpeg
The final $85 was for shipping from Boise to Wyoming, with the unexpected surprise of a cheap but serviceable plastic case.

So, how did it turn out?
IMG_1604.jpeg
Simply put, this is an expensive ($1100 realistic base) but excellent stock which represents the best a man can have for his Tikka - right now. It is not perfect, and will face significant pressure from the ~$600 Rokstok if the latter is executed correctly.

Allterra puts a Gunwerks-level of emphasis on their ergonomic geometry, and much of it does the trick. The fore-end is a savvy blend of flat for tracking and rounded for versatility. The inset pic rail does not interfere with any positional or off-hand grip. The cheek rest protrudes awkwardly like an old Sako stock, but produces a comfortable cheek or chin weld with low or medium rings. The grip is a modern hybrid vertical design that works well for various hand sizes and enables very comfortable prone shooting.

The trigger reach is improved over the Stocky's VC (about a quarter inch but feels like more - see pics) but still requires careful "forward" hand placement for my size-large (but short fingered) d**k beaters to achieve a 90 degree trigger pull. That hand placement might induce more torque than a neutral grip which truly takes advantage of Allterra's unilateral palm swell. The Clymr stock has some magic between its thumb rest, curve, and trigger reach that still feels noticeably better. Bellyaching aside, Allterra's grip is comfortable, versatile, and enables good control whether prone, square to a tripod, or shooting offhand. There is no doubt that a hybrid grip feels better to stalk around with than a 90 degree grip, and there is a similar lack of doubt that a truly vertical grip is more optimal to shoot true long range with. It's a trade-off.

IMG_1612.jpegIMG_1611.jpegIMG_1613.jpeg

Some of you will be curious about the balance of plant, so in no particular order you're looking at a:
1) 6.5prc 22" Proof pre-fit (yes, I got it on sale. yes, I wish it was steel. yes, I only bought it because nobody else was selling an in-stock ready-to-go
2) Lumley titanium + carbon bolt knob + handle (noticeably lightens lift, with .5" extra leverage)
3) Sig Sierra6 3-18 BDX in sportsmatch rings (will post standard drop tests shortly)
4) UM level, aft of rear ring (gotta represent)
5) WY arms 5" titanium 30 cal "suppressor" (no, it's not remotely hearing safe. yes, it makes magnums tolerable when I'm wearing foam plugs. no, I wouldn't buy it again)

This old veil action will get the black nitriding it so richly deserves after years of service. Once I'm done with Sig and SHV f1 drop tests and possibly a hunt, this rifle will get a 6.5cm bolt and barrel, and will get put through its paces with my standard Trijicon 3-18 ffp in UM rings on top during the 2024 NRL hunter season.

I'm open to any questions you may have and tests you may want to see, so don't be shy.

Best,
-J

Attachments

• IMG_1609.jpeg
    IMG_1609.jpeg
    387.6 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1597.jpeg
    IMG_1597.jpeg
    196.6 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_1590.jpeg
    IMG_1590.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
OP
NSI

NSI

WKR
Glamour shots.

-J

Attachments

• IMG_1608.jpeg
    IMG_1608.jpeg
    250.7 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1609.jpeg
    IMG_1609.jpeg
    387.6 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1605.jpeg
    IMG_1605.jpeg
    304.2 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1610.jpeg
    IMG_1610.jpeg
    208 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1614.jpeg
    IMG_1614.jpeg
    290.8 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1615.jpeg
    IMG_1615.jpeg
    281.6 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1616.jpeg
    IMG_1616.jpeg
    276.4 KB · Views: 96

grfox92

WKR
Very cool. I have some friends who work at GW.

Just out of curiosity what about the GW stock makes all the effort worth it over, let's say a Mcmillan?

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: NSI

TxLite

WKR
Enjoyed the write up. Good looking rifle and looking forward to seeing how it shoots for you

Last edited:
OP
NSI

NSI

WKR
Very cool. I have some friends who work at GW.

Just out of curiosity what about the GW stock makes all the effort worth it over, let's say a Mcmillan?

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk
Primarily the negative comb and platonically perfect grip.

But if I’m being honest, the fit and finish is a (small) click better and it’s noticeably lighter.

This rifle finished at 9 pounds, a half pound penalty over the Stocky’s VG or new Clymr.

-J

Mojave

WKR
Kind of looks like a train wreck. I hope it works out for you. I can't imagine thos; lines, ergos and orthos are going to jive.

OP
NSI

NSI

WKR
Kind of looks like a train wreck. I hope it works out for you. I can't imagine thos; lines, ergos and orthos are going to jive.
airplane-jive.gif

-J

OP
NSI

NSI

WKR
Fellas,
While my Stocky's continues to do this,
Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 6.11.47 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-10-16 at 6.12.51 PM.png
(7 in .7 on the red target, 5 in .6 on target 6)

the new 6.5 PRC in the Allterra is doing this:
Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 6.12.23 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-10-16 at 6.13.08 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-10-16 at 6.13.18 PM.png
Individually, those groups look bad (2MOA). Overlaid on one another, they look like !@#$ (3 and change).

I didn't have time at the range to swap the rifles between the stocks, but given that the Allterra is specifically and expertly bedded for that particular action, I'm loathe to torque another Tikka action into the inlet. What I'll probably do instead is swap barrels and bolts, then report back. I can't imagine this has anything to do with the stock, and is probably a disagreement between the Proof barrel and my 147 ELD-Ms (target 3) and 127 LRXs (targets 5 and 4). Anybody else have ideas on factory 6.5 PRC to try? Maybe some Berger 165 EOL?

EDIT: I should caveat my current woes. I was still hitting 400 yard 12" steel plates from a skinny tripod + bag repeatedly during drills (fresh gear set up each shot) on the effectiveness of the BDX electronic reticle+binos system. The barrel will clearly kill stuff, it's just failing my expectation for cone size. The stock is very nice to shoot and it's obvious that the negative comb makes heavier recoiling cartridges more pleasant to shoot. Having the stock fall away from my eyeline did not yet accomplish the stated benefit of staying on target in the scope easier under recoil, but I assume that's a me/technique problem as of yet which I'll continue to explore.

-J

Last edited:

atmat

WKR
I am glad you like your purchase. But I cannot imagine paying $1350 for a stock when the upgraded Stocky’s will be fantastic and half the price.

The Guide

WKR
Fellas,
While my Stocky's continues to do this,
View attachment 614818View attachment 614820
(7 in .7 on the red target, 5 in .6 on target 6)

the new 6.5 PRC in the Allterra is doing this:
View attachment 614819View attachment 614821View attachment 614822
Individually, those groups look bad (2MOA). Overlaid on one another, they look like !@#$ (3 and change).

I didn't have time at the range to swap the rifles between the stocks, but given that the Allterra is specifically and expertly bedded for that particular action, I'm loathe to torque another Tikka action into the inlet. What I'll probably do instead is swap barrels and bolts, then report back. I can't imagine this has anything to do with the stock, and is probably a disagreement between the Proof barrel and my 147 ELD-Ms (target 3) and 127 LRXs (targets 5 and 4). Anybody else have ideas on factory 6.5 PRC to try? Maybe some Berger 165 EOL?

EDIT: I should caveat my current woes. I was still hitting 400 yard 12" steel plates from a skinny tripod + bag repeatedly during drills (fresh gear set up each shot) on the effectiveness of the BDX electronic reticle+binos system. The barrel will clearly kill stuff, it's just failing my expectation for cone size. The stock is very nice to shoot and it's obvious that the negative comb makes heavier recoiling cartridges more pleasant to shoot. Having the stock fall away from my eyeline did not yet accomplish the stated benefit of staying on target in the scope easier under recoil, but I assume that's a me/technique problem as of yet which I'll continue to explore.

-J
I was honestly not impressed with the 6.5 PRC barrel I got from you after shooting the 147 and 143 Hornady ammo. They were barely an inch each. I shot the 127 LRX next and got 2 in 1 hole and on 1/4" away. Then I shot what I had hoped would work, the 156 ELR and it gave me a little tiny clover leaf. I ordered more of the 156 (for 100 total rounds so I can reload the Lapua brass) for elk hunting and am using up the rest of the 2 boxes of LRX I bought for antelope and deer. I hope the other 6.5 PRC barrel I just got delivered from PBB like the Hornady stuff so I have something to feed those boxes of ammo to.

Give the 156 Berger loaded ammo a try and see of that's the spice the barrel likes. If nothing else, you end up with some Lapua brass to reload or sell.

Jay

OP
NSI

NSI

WKR
I am glad you like your purchase. But I cannot imagine paying $1350 for a stock when the upgraded Stocky’s will be fantastic and half the price.
This purchase would not have been made if the RokStock existed, even conceptually, at the time of order.

-J

OP
NSI

NSI

WKR
I was honestly not impressed with the 6.5 PRC barrel I got from you after shooting the 147 and 143 Hornady ammo. They were barely an inch each. I shot the 127 LRX next and got 2 in 1 hole and on 1/4" away. Then I shot what I had hoped would work, the 156 ELR and it gave me a little tiny clover leaf. I ordered more of the 156 (for 100 total rounds so I can reload the Lapua brass) for elk hunting and am using up the rest of the 2 boxes of LRX I bought for antelope and deer. I hope the other 6.5 PRC barrel I just got delivered from PBB like the Hornady stuff so I have something to feed those boxes of ammo to.

Give the 156 Berger loaded ammo a try and see of that's the spice the barrel likes. If nothing else, you end up with some Lapua brass to reload or sell.

Jay
Appreciated. Will grab some 156 Berger and let you guys know how it goes. Will also pop this PRC barreled action into the Stocky’s just to be certain the stock isn’t involved.

-J