We have officially come full circle!

bsnedeker

WKR
So I was talking to my buddy about my upcoming antelope tag and I told him I'm taking my 300WM over my 6.5CM. Reason being I'm WAY more confident at 400-600 yards with the 300 due to it's ability to handle more wind, which is usually a factor in my Antelope hunts. I just tend to shoot tighter groups with the 300 than the 6.5, although I can put either in the vitals reliably to be honest.

His response: "Lol...using a 300WM for an Antelope!".

This dude has exclusivly used 6.5CM on elk for the last 5 years. So yeah, CM guys are now telling WM guys they are using the wrong gun! I found it pretty amusing!

Note: I have ZERO issues with anyone using a 6.5CM on elk...it's a proven cartridge in my opinion. I just found this conversation funny.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
His response: "Lol...using a 300WM for an Antelope!".

This dude has exclusivly used 6.5CM on elk for the last 5 years. So yeah, CM guys are now telling WM guys they are using the wrong gun! I found it pretty amusing!

Haha. At one point I was convinced that a 243 was on the light side, and the way started at 300wm. Now it’s reversed.

On the wind thing, what bullets are you using in the 300 and 6.5?

bowman72

FNG
I was at the range Sunday and the guy next to me was getting ready for an elk hunt in Utah. He had a 300 win mag with a brake. That thing blew my cap off.

His groups were scattered all over 12" when shooting at the 200 yard line. I think a lot of guys should learn to shoot with a smaller gun. Its not manly if you can't hit anything. I hope he limits himself to about 250 yards.

My son's 6.5 put them into 1.35inches at the same line. The guy said, yeah but you can't use that on elk!

• Banned
OP
bsnedeker

bsnedeker

WKR
Haha. At one point I was convinced that a 243 was on the light side, and the way started at 300wm. Now it’s reversed.

Don't worry, I'm fully drinking the 6.5/223 kool-aid based on the stuff you've shared!

I'm shooting Eld-m's in both....140gr and 178gr respectively. At 500 yards this weekend in a very light wind I was hitting pretty much spot on with the 300, 6.5 was about 2 inches right (didn't adjust for wind at all). Still totally acceptable, but I only get to shoot speed goats every 3-4 years and I'm pretty marginal at judging wind so I'm just more confident with the WM. I am working on that skill, but it's not there for me yet!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Don't worry, I'm fully drinking the 6.5/223 kool-aid based on the stuff you've shared!

Haha. Nah, I like 300’s too. The 178gr ELD-M is one of the most destructive bullets you can get.

I'm shooting Eld-m's in both....140gr and 178gr respectively. At 500 yards this weekend in a very light wind I was hitting pretty much spot on with the 300, 6.5 was about 2 inches right (didn't adjust for wind at all).

Not trying to dissuade you on the 300, but the 140gr ELD-M should have slightly less wind drift than the 178gr.

Clarktar

WKR

We just added a .243 here and I look forward to a good amount of shooting this winter!!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

• Banned
OP
bsnedeker

bsnedeker

WKR
Not trying to dissuade you on the 300, but the 140gr ELD-M should have slightly less wind drift than the 178gr.
Dammit....I must be doing something wrong then. It has been consistently off more in wind than my 300 has been. More time at the range for me in the future!!!!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I would have placed money on it being a 223 with 77 tmks.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Haha. It’s my preferred combo to shoot and use for sure. From a sentimental perspective it’s the 243 and 300WM right now. But every year I find myself trying to hurry up and get done with whatever rifle/cartridge I am working with, to start using the 223/77tmk combo.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Dammit....I must be doing something wrong then. It has been consistently off more in wind than my 300 has been. More time at the range for me in the future!!!!

That bullet in the 300 is a monster. Have you killed anything with it yet?

I'm curious on your bullet/cartridge selection decision based on your statement of the 178eldm/300wm being the most destructive bullet.

Do you generally pick what what will be the most destructive, regardless of meat loss, as long as it shoots to your expectations?

I love the idea of a bullet that is a bomb on the animal, but I can't get my head around the meat loss aspect. I haven't had any experience yet with losing an animal with a correctly placed shot, so my preference is biased hy that. I tend to pick a somewhat frangible bullet in a medium velocity cartridge.... Ie '06ish

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
Whatever you can shoot well is solid advice. One year I went out to WY for doe antelope with 2 buddies, we each had 4 doe tags. First day we each got 2, but it was slow going. I missed my first one, probably opening morning jitters. One animal got wounded and was eventually down, but it was ugly. Rifles were 270, 257 Bob and 300WM. You can probably guess which one did the wounding. 100% shot placement, but this was a huge, heavy, braked rifle, better suited for the bench. The 2nd day we all doubled up and hit the processor will a pile of goats. Great trip, I'll never forget for a lot of reasons. If it were me, I'd take the Creedmore, but whatever tickles your trigger.

OP
bsnedeker

bsnedeker

WKR
Oh yeah, it's been my primary hunting bullet for the last 5 years probably. I'm not putting up your numbers but I've got a couple elk with it, I don't even know how many deer, and my last speed goat. It has performed perfectly for me.

Oh yeah, it's been my primary hunting bullet for the last 5 years probably. I'm not putting up your numbers but I've got a couple elk with it, I don't even know how many deer, and my last speed goat. It has performed perfectly for me.
What has your maximum impact velocity been with these that gives adequate penetration? I'm wondering if this bullet would do okay from 0 to 500 out of an 06 on deer and elk.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I'm curious on your bullet/cartridge selection decision based on your statement of the 178eldm/300wm being the most destructive bullet.

Do you generally pick what what will be the most destructive, regardless of meat loss, as long as it shoots to your expectations?

I love the idea of a bullet that is a bomb on the animal, but I can't get my head around the meat loss aspect. I haven't had any experience yet with losing an animal with a correctly placed shot, so my preference is biased hy that. I tend to pick a somewhat frangible bullet in a medium velocity cartridge.... Ie '06ish

I maximize the terminal performance of every cartridge- to due otherwise is silly. It’s why I choose to use smaller rounds generally- when big rounds are maximized it’s hard to believe. I have killed hundreds of game animals with the 178gr Amax/ELD-M- it creates the largest wound channel while still achieving adequate penetration from 0-700’ish of everything commercially available for 30cal magnums.

If you keep it in the ribs it’s not terrible, hit bone though…..

4333D370-0E8C-4E39-A7A0-3B1C7CC58ED2.jpeg
FCB466F7-6278-4B32-9F11-BDA4B75592C7.jpeg

EFCBE775-E020-4A74-B1F1-A6157A74A507.jpeg

The hind quarter shots were anchor shots after the first.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
What has your maximum impact velocity been with these that gives adequate penetration? I'm wondering if this bullet would do okay from 0 to 500 out of an 06 on deer and elk.

Not directed at me, however 3,000fps from about 5-6 yards. In a 30-06 the results won’t be as dramatic as the above… unless you hit large bone.