Weak ankles... different boots or additional support?

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
I am currently running Crispi Nevada uninsured boots. Best ankle support I have ever had in a boot.

With that said, I see a lot of people using lighter boots don to tennis shoes... is there a lighter boot with equal support or should I suck it up and deal with heavier boots and be confident in my ankles with those boots?

Moserkr

WKR
I was wearing summits til I started rolling my left ankle a lot 2 seasons back. Switched to the beefier briksdals and have only come close to rolling it once now. They sit 1” taller than the nevadas, but both have the ABSS. Only way I would go lighter with boots now is if I can out train my ankle issues. Only you can make that call.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Single-leg calf raises, single-leg squats, walking lunges, single-leg Roman deadlifts. Ditch the support in training and use a light shoe. Like back braces, all you are doing is allowing the muscles to atrophy by constantly supporting them.

On a hunt, or for a big push, sure use something with more support, but in general try to train without it.

It has been a slow process for me get comfortable using shoes rather than boots in the mountains. I still have and use mountaineering boots on occasion. So, I'm far from a purist or barefoot evangelist.

For boots, La Sportiva Trango Cube are my current preference, they are lite (for boots). However, they might be more than you want on support as they have a stiff sole for crampons.

EdP

WKR
A few decades ago I read that people with high arches tend to have weak ankles and those with flat feet tend to have strong ankles. I have high arches and suffered MANY ankle sprains in my younger years so I am a firm believer in boots that protect my ankles. An ankle sprain at the gym or on a playground ball court is a whole different situation from a sprain 10 miles from the trailhead. Almost every time I hike my Asolo hiking boots save me a sprain and I am thankful for them. Doing exercises to make your ankles as strong as possible makes good sense too, but I would never rely on it. There are many folks who are not in the same situation. They hike and trail run in low top shoes with no ankle support at all and have no problem. That's not me and if its not you then use a good pair of boots and don't worry about the weight.

Single-leg calf raises, single-leg squats, walking lunges, single-leg Roman deadlifts. Ditch the support in training and use a light shoe. Like back braces, all you are doing is allowing the muscles to atrophy by constantly supporting them.

This is my uneducated belief. I think you want to train your ankles, not give them a crutch.

I've rolled ankles lots of times but have never actually hurt myself. Maybe all those years of soccer developed some flexibility? Who knows.

Solo, or in super remote places like Alaska, where the impact of getting hurt is a lot higher, a crutch might be more appropriate.

jimh406

WKR
If you have weak ankles, I think you’d be better off learning exercises to improve them. Boots can only do so much.

I agree with all that has been said above.

Here are my questions: What condition are your feet in? Are you overweight? Do you have flat feet? How old are you? What is the overall state of your body condition? Have you rolled, or continue to roll your ankles.

I ask all of these questions because all of this influences your feet and the condition that they are presently in.

I have seen people with feet that are in bad shape, get lighter shoes/boots and tear the hell out of their feet. Conversely, I have seen the opposite as well. I get the whole pound on your feet equals........

IMHO, I think anything you can do to strengthen your ankles, and the muscles surrounding them is a very good thing.

I agree with everything that Marbles mentioned above. Those work larger muscle groups and mostly are compound exercises

You also need to work your smaller muscles as well. One of the best exercises that will really isolate and strengthen your intrinsic muscles is through the use of a Bosu ball. Also do banded work with the ankle to concentrate on your dorsiflexion, plantar flexion, inversion, and eversion. All of this is available on youtube.

I hope this helps.