Wear and Tear SG vs EXO vs Kifaru

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a kifaru and a stone glacier. Both have held up well, I haven’t had anything really break on either of my packs. My kifaru has the tactical frame so it’s pretty beefy, I’ve hauled out moose quarters with it, dealt with swamps and alders and it’s done just fine, it does have a lot of straps though.

My stone glacier had been on 4 mountain hunts of 5-10 days at this point, I think it actually shows more wear.

I like both, they both have fairly specific uses for me so I don’t know that I’d want to pick one over the other.

Takeem406

WKR
Not sure on the other brands but I've ran a Kifaru for the last few seasons. No issues. Only problem I had is with the old style rubber where the load lifter ladder traps attached the material ripped. I called up Snyder and he sent me a new and upgraded bag the next spring.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

My exo took a few more rolls then expected the other day and went off a legit 20ft plus cliff into some boulders, it was full of elk sheds.
It tore about and inch of stitching on one strap.
With how many flips it and sounds it made I was sure the pack was a goner.
Picked it rite up and walked out.
I was seriously impressed. I thought the shoulder straps and everything would be missing.

Had it not had the leverage of the sheds it probably would have been fine.
Gonna have a local lady stitch thru the spot and it should be good as new.

I have owned Kifaru, Exo and Stone Glacier. To be clear all 3 pack companies use 500D cordura. So the statement that SG uses the lightest cordura is not true. The only hunting pack that I know of that uses less than 500D is KUIU on their ultra series packs.

You can't go wrong with any of the big 3 pack companies. For me Exo and Stone Glacier fit me the best but all were durable. I would say Kifaru seems extra beefy to me but seemed like to much which equals more weight.

OP
S

Stoke_82

FNG
Anyone want to comment on buckles? Which seem most durable? Thought through. Male female opposing, that sort of thing?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone want to comment on buckles? Which seem most durable? Thought through. Male female opposing, that sort of thing?

Most brands are using military grade or at least high quality buckles. Kuiu uses smaller ones. I don’t know about exo or MR. Depending on your needs I would recommend auto lock buckles in some areas. Sg doesn’t have any kind of bow holder so I use the auto lock on the straps that hold my bow. Any load that could shift can potentially allow slipping of a standard buckle. I don’t know the name or type but buckles from Kifaru and Sg are compatible.

Sg requires you to swap a couple when not using the bag so they will connect to the opposite side. Drove me crazy so I changed it up myself.

I have onky used Kifaru packs (four years now ) but never had any buckles break or stitching bust. They look as good as the day I bought them even though have been abused in the field. I think they are typically a bit heavier than some of the other brands but for me the bombproofing is worth the weight.
My 2 bits.

TravKatQ

WKR
8 animals hauled in my Exo 3500 last 2 years and still looks brand new. Has held up to some extreme abuse!
-Travis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

worx53

WKR
I have Kifaru and EXO... the Kifaru bags I have run are IMO tougher than the EXO bags- the stretch pocket on EXO is certainly not as durable as Cordura for sure. I have not had ny issues with the stretch pocket. Kifaru uses heavier webbing and buckles than the EXO on the face of the pack . I actually have an EXO bag on a Kifaru frame I run now mostly and I changed out the EXO buckles to Kifaru style (ITW I think they are called).