Wear Ear Pro, Folks: Hearing Loss at 23

I, too, have hearing loss at a young-ish age(32 but had it for years now). Mine came from playing in bands when I was younger.

I think it’s funny when the brake threads come up, someone inevitably mentions how brakes kill your hearing so they don’t recommend them so you don’t have to worry about hearing protection.

What’s even more surprising is how many people are against hearing protection at all in a sport where having your hearing kinda helps a lot. They’re worried about missing animals due to putting in hearing protection, but what about that animal slipping out the back that you can’t hear?
when I was around 52 a buddy of mine bought me an Eric Clapton ticket as a good gesture for favors done - It never even occurred to me, was surprised with 4th row seats - I couldn't hear ANYTHING from my left ear for 2 1/2 days and it over doubled my tinnitus - one of those "wish I'd thought of that" moments - people look funny at you when ya walk into a Tim McGraw concert wearing muffs at Autzen …….

I can't hardly hear bugles.
Makes me tear up thinking about it.
Im 38 about 30% loss and the constant ringing makes me wanna end it some days.
No more quite time for me.
Lots blown archery opportunities.
some new startling studies with a new technology where you wear noise device while sleeping and it trains your brain to not notice the tinnitus when you're awake - it sounds hokey but apparently has much merit (hate to admit it, read about it in a recent AARP monthly)

I, too, have hearing loss at a young-ish age(32 but had it for years now). Mine came from playing in bands when I was younger.

I think it’s funny when the brake threads come up, someone inevitably mentions how brakes kill your hearing so they don’t recommend them so you don’t have to worry about hearing protection.

What’s even more surprising is how many people are against hearing protection at all in a sport where having your hearing kinda helps a lot. They’re worried about missing animals due to putting in hearing protection, but what about that animal slipping out the back that you can’t hear?
or not hearing a snake "buzz" ? …….. PD hunting in MT, roving with a 17 hmr got me thinking real hard about that (after my pulse slowed and I changed my shorts that is)

I’m trying to find a good hunting option to just leave in. I have had my hearing checked and it seems to be fine but I believe I have a more difficult time hearing now being only 30. I have destroyed my ears growing up for sure but I do use ear protection now, hopefully I didn’t wait to late.

I’m trying to find a good hunting option to just leave in. I have had my hearing checked and it seems to be fine but I believe I have a more difficult time hearing now being only 30. I have destroyed my ears growing up for sure but I do use ear protection now, hopefully I didn’t wait to late.
the better quality electronics are expensive but work quite well - it takes getting used to them though (well worth the trouble and expense I'd say) training oneself to remember to use them is a big hurdle -

WALKERS make's a fairly handy ear PLUG set on a plastic neck loop that is "OK" - 3M makes a lightweight, inexpensive workplace on a blue plastic loop with foam insert plugs that is certainly better than nothing - they're found at safety equipment stores along with other models - MOLDEX jazz band 6506 are cheap & handy - Howard Leight QB2 supra-aural are pretty good - there's another brand (I can't find my 3 sets right now) that fold and carry nicely in the pocket that work really well but I can't remember the brand name, lookin' ….

I've been thinking about getting the little walkers in ear ones. Actually so I can hear elk coming in during archery. I need amplification.
As far a hearing protection while shooting during hunting.
The orange plastic ones you can wear around your neck are the most realistic I think.
The sure fire plugs work good and can still hear talking pretty well. But you gotta keep them in a pocket or something.
Idk I need to find a solution because I have my first rifle with a brake. Which I swore off for years.

micus

Lil-Rokslider
I have to get my hearing tested/screened for work.

My last docs apt the doc told me its either a significant event/loud noise, or a repetitive lower noise for a long duration of time. Its a marriage between volume and duration. So you can still damage your ears with lower volume exposure as well.

I told him I shoot occasionally without ear pro which brought the topic up to begin with.

For years growing up I never wore ear protection while hunting and I'm probably paying for that now, but I won't allow my kids to make the same mistake. I started wearing ear protection (just the little foam ear plugs), about 6 or 8 years ago and will continue for the rest of my firearm hunting days. So far they haven't cost me any opportunities, but I really don't care if they do, I'll have other killing opportunities, I value my hearing too much to waste it. Picture of my son after making a shot in the field.
dd (2).jpg

For years growing up I never wore ear protection while hunting and I'm probably paying for that now, but I won't allow my kids to make the same mistake. I started wearing ear protection (just the little foam ear plugs), about 6 or 8 years ago and will continue for the rest of my firearm hunting days. So far they haven't cost me any opportunities, but I really don't care if they do, I'll have other killing opportunities, I value my hearing too much to waste it. Picture of my son after making a shot in the field.
View attachment 109810
PERFECT ! I like where your head's at ….

View attachment 109810

I'm a newer hunter, and I assume this goes without saying to the people who have been doing it longer, but it merits repeating anyhow -

Every honest opportunity on an animal I've had so far, has given me ample time to place plugs in my ears. Honestly, its amazing how long some of them will wait to make a move, while I'm trying to rush through prepping for the shot.

You have much more time than you think you have. Your hearing is worth it. If the "opportunity" won't allow you time to put in plugs, lets be honest, should you really be taking the shot anyhow? The answer is probably not.

edit - I use the kind that hang around your neck.

They're unobtrusive. I put them on when I leave the truck. Take them off at the end of the day when I'm going to sleep. You quickly forget that they're there - and when you need them its easy to toss them in.

WALKERS make's a fairly handy ear PLUG set on a plastic neck loop that is "OK" - 3M makes a lightweight, inexpensive workplace on a blue plastic loop with foam insert plugs that is certainly better than nothing - they're found at safety equipment stores along with other models - MOLDEX jazz band 6506 are cheap & handy - Howard Leight QB2 supra-aural are pretty good - there's another brand (I can't find my 3 sets right now) that fold and carry nicely in the pocket that work really well but I can't remember the brand name, lookin' ….
SensGARD is the name I was trying to think of - they fold up rather than hang around your neck but they are effective

OP
Jaden Bales
I'm a newer hunter, and I assume this goes without saying to the people who have been doing it longer, but it merits repeating anyhow -

Every honest opportunity on an animal I've had so far, has given me ample time to place plugs in my ears. Honestly, its amazing how long some of them will wait to make a move, while I'm trying to rush through prepping for the shot.

You have much more time than you think you have. Your hearing is worth it. If the "opportunity" won't allow you time to put in plugs, lets be honest, should you really be taking the shot anyhow? The answer is probably not.

edit - I use the kind that hang around your neck.

They're unobtrusive. I put them on when I leave the truck. Take them off at the end of the day when I'm going to sleep. You quickly forget that they're there - and when you need them its easy to toss them in.
Man, glad you've had some good opportunities like that! That's encouraging to hear.

Growing up we did a lot of drives, even in eastern Oregon. I shot my first couple of deer like that. We got all the neighbors together and push brush and get deer moving and have a couple guys waiting strategically in escape routes, etc. It's a situation kinda like bird hunting where you HAVE hear where guys are at and you have to be able to make snapshots usually sub-100 yards offhand. Inherently, the deer will be moving with this strategy. You'd definitely lose opportunities in that specific case by taking 3-5 seconds to put in ear pro.

Not saying it's an excuse to not wear hearing pro. Quite the opposite really. It's really important in that case to make sure a guy gets something like those Walker Game Ears. My brother has a pair of 'em that work pretty dang well for $47. Clearly, he's the smarter of the two of us. Haha.

Shooting a gun, even a 22, one time causes some level of permanent, irreparable hearing damage. It is cumulative over your life time and will eventually result in loss of hearing.

I double ear pro on the range. Crushable and electronic headphones. In the woods I use in ear plugs. I Ike the ones on a cord that I can just stuff in my ear.

There is a chance Crushables won’t expand fast enough for full protection between the time you put them in and take a shot. And for me, headphones don’t work well in the woods.

Something is better than nothing though. Get some and use it for every shot.

I started seriously shooting a shotgun at 14 at the rate of 20 cases of shells per year and rifles at 15 at the rate of 200 rounds per week.

One night at 16 when I was trying to fall sleep, I noticed laying on my right side I could hear the crickets and when I turned to my left side they stopped. That was my UH OH moment. No one even suggested hearing protection to me before that end it will be another 10 years after that before I started wearing any.

Several years ago I stumbled onto https://www.tacticalhearing.com/ and have been using them ever since. Incredibly comfortable with great suppression and enhancement capabilities.

My kids have never shot a gun without hearing protection and hopefully never will.