Wearing 2 baselayers which under?

Merino or Synthitic, Which one next to skin?

• Merino Against the skin

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • Synthetic against the skin

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Run Naked

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Sit by the fire and eat cheeto's you will catch cold going out in this weather.

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters

2rocky

WKR
Going for a run on a cold night. A layer of merino wool, and a layer of spandex type synthetic should work well. Which layer against the skin? .

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
The synthetic will wick sweat away from your skin faster than the merino imo.

Must be pretty cold if you're running in two layers?

I would go merino against the skin. The merino will hold the moisture in the fiber while the synthetic will hold it between the fibers. As ur body heats up it will evaporate the sweat which will heat the air between ur skin and the material which will make u feel warmer. My .02.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Don't you know what all that cold air does to your lungs when running? I'd avoid the running unless you're being chased by something that can take you.

I prefer merino next to the skin when it's cold. Plus I don't stink as bad afterwards and I can wear the shirt again for a run on another day. Unlike synthetic that is gets an unholy stench after one use. If it's too cold, I throw a fleece hoodie on top for insulation.

OP
2rocky

2rocky

WKR
I chose Merino under synthetic.

It was a kuiu t-shirt under a C9 compression long sleeve. It wasn't as much bitterly cold as it was damp, with a breeze off the ocean. (45 deg at 94 % humidity) not enough for an insulating hoodie or sweatshirt.

But merino against the skin worked well. No "chilled feeling"

\

I was wet with sweat but not chilled.

Has anyone used a synthetic base layer with Polygiene? If so, can you comment on how well it worked with the stink factor?

And, has anyone used any blended base layers with the merino / cocona blends?

Merino next to skin. We do a lot of backcountry skiing,snowboarding, and snow machining, in cold to super cold weather and when sweating like crazy merino will feel way less clammy sooner than anything else.

OP
2rocky

2rocky

WKR
Dredging this up to reinforce....

in my case on that night run, the synthertic kept the fog from soaking in and pulled some odf the sweat our of my Merino.,

tracker12

WKR
Thanks for sharing that podcast. I have not seen it before. Now you have me thinning some of my base layers Uhg

Nillion

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone used a synthetic base layer with Polygiene? If so, can you comment on how well it worked with the stink factor?

And, has anyone used any blended base layers with the merino / cocona blends?

I can get two wears out of my synthetics with polygiene before they stink, as opposed to one and done with normal synthetics. Merino will win every time when it comes to odor over any type of synthetic.

I can get two wears out of my synthetics with polygiene before they stink, as opposed to one and done with normal synthetics. Merino will win every time when it comes to odor over any type of synthetic.

I’m right there with you. I will say, it does seem to wear off eventually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I regularly wear the Sitka Redline (Polygiene) 4-5 times running before washing it. No issues with stink.

When it is cold (down to low 20s minus the wind), it does suck in the beginning but once I am moving them I am plenty warm.

hogstrong

FNG
Next to skin is the only layer where Merino comes into play. Less stink, better feeling especially when wet/drenched with sweat