Weather Advice-Wyoming unit 34

branw33

FNG
Hey guys,
My friend and I somehow drew 2 mule deer tags for Wyoming unit 34 and I wanted to see if anyone has some recent experience there as far as weather goes. It looks like some massively wide ranges in temperatures in the last half of October from -11 to 80 degrees. I know we should be prepared for anything, but any input would be appreciated! This is about 1.5 hours NW of Casper.
Thanks!

Last edited:

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt unit 33 a bit NE of 34. I can say we have gone from 85 degrees to 50 mph winds to a few inches of snow within 3 days. If you are hunting the later part of October be prepared for anything mother nature can bring. Also when the dirt roads get wet from rain or snow you aren't driving them in a truck. Its like roller skating on goose shit.

Make sure you have some extra gas, spare tire and tire chains. Things can change rapidly in late October in WY.

JRMiller

WKR
Weather absolutely could be anything in October.
Like others said, be prepared for anything.
If it snows the second it starts to melt be sure to have your chains on when off-road.
or if it rains, obviously.

Bighorner

WKR
If it's so muddy that you need chains, assume it is to get you out to the pavement or high grade gravel.

The struggle is real! Hope for the best and plan for the worst.

I remember an antelope hunt once over between Casper and Medicine Bow. It was downright hot out. Even at night. I set out in a t shirt it was so warm. By 5:00 I was running for the ranch house in a white out blizzard shivering like mad. Mother Nature has a hell of a sense of humor out there. And in October anything goes.

It can be one of the windiest places I have been to at times & snow early in the season or even before is not out of the questions. If you are tenting be prepared. If you would like any other advice just let me know, I have hunted it before.

Tndude

FNG
It can be one of the windiest places I have been to at times & snow early in the season or even before is not out of the questions. If you are tenting be prepared. If you would like any other advice just let me know, I have hunted it before.
Be prepared for everything. It’s Wyoming the wind is gonna blow. Probably 50-60 mph as the front comes through. Good news is they usually pass quick.

I am not sure either, I wonder if its because I do not have enough posts within a certain time period? I could call you or maybe start with email? I will look closer to see about PM....

OP
B

branw33

FNG
I just looked, you need 10 posts to be able to PM.
Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

TurboTec

FNG
@branw33 WY mule deer unit has been on my radar for many years (currently sitting on 11 points). I’d be interested in chatting about the area and your thoughts on the unit of you are willing (assuming by this thread that you hunted it in the fall 2021).

I’ll try to send a pm to you. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TurboTec

FNG
@branw33 Ugh…the forum algorithm won’t let me send a message yet. I’ve had an account for a long time but they must have changed the user policy. I’ll try to pm you again in a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Turbo Tec,

I cannot seem to pm either, I could give you some insight if you like. I could call or email you if your interested.

Pay very close attention to the weather. That time of year the weather can change dramatically in a matter of hours. 70's and sunny in the morning then by that afternoon 20's and dumping snow. Not an exaggeration.