Weather Apps

EastMT

WKR
I like Windy app. Shows wind direction, I used the forecast for it in Nebraska for a small acreage to decide which side to approach from, it was fairly accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to use weather underground since a lot of people around this area had weather stations upload there but it has gone downhill since being bought out by The Weather Channel

mwebs

WKR
The NOAA app is good for getting a general idea of the weather at different altitudes, you can click on a specific mountain, ridge, etc. and it will give you a forecast for that specific location. Obviously not 100% accurate but I use it to get the general idea.

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
For a while I used weather underground but the last year or two have been using the weather on Scout Look. Much more relevant data, especially wind when I am hunting

GregB

WKR
I'll use the NOAA forecast if I have a signal or internet. When I'm in the backcountry I use my InReach for occasional updates.

ChrisS

WKR
I've heard Dark Sky is really good. https://darksky.net Has anyone else tried it?
I've had a for a few years now. I used to manage stormwater sampling across a pretty wide area and used it for storms. Most of the underlaying data is the same with all apps. Some is massaged through different algorithms, but the interface is pretty nice with dark sky. Predictions for anything other than a major storm beyond 24-36 hours is a crapshoot with any weather app. I like the Inreach weather updates if I can't get cell service.

LostArra

WKR
I've had a for a few years now. I used to manage stormwater sampling across a pretty wide area and used it for storms. Most of the underlaying data is the same with all apps. Some is massaged through different algorithms, but the interface is pretty nice with dark sky. Predictions for anything other than a major storm beyond 24-36 hours is a crapshoot with any weather app. I like the Inreach weather updates if I can't get cell service.

Do you have to use the monthly pay version of dark sky to get wind information? I recently downloaded it and maybe it's in some setting I haven't fumbled upon yet.

ChrisS

WKR
Do you have to use the monthly pay version of dark sky to get wind information? I recently downloaded it and maybe it's in some setting I haven't fumbled upon yet.
On the map or in the forecast? on the map, I only have temp and precip. I can see wind speed and gusts in the forecast. I've had the app so long, I might be grandfathered in because I don't pay a monthly subscription.

A fantastic desktop site for weather visualization, including wind, is Ventusky. Edited to add: it looks like they have mobile apps as well.

cnelk

WKR
I dont know where they get the data, but the weather APP on my InReach is spot on, everytime.