Weather averages for North of Brooks Range?

YellCoAR

Lil-Rokslider
Is there any place to check on weather for North of Brooks range. I can look on accuweather and see information on Dead Horse but did not know how that would compare to closer to the Brooks Range area. I was mainly concerned with the highs and lows during the dates I will be there. I know rain will occur often. Plan on being in the field 08-19 out by 08-27 or 28.

"Future" data might be a bit challenging..

If you jump through all the hoops to get access, the data for that station goes back decades. If you don't want to work through that, then Deadhorse is close enough.

That said, it's of limited value in real life. Expect temperatures generally above freezing, but with potential swings that are dramatically off the average. Anywhere from 20F to 70F can and does happen. As noted, it snowed up there this last week. Bring warm gear. Hope you don't need it.

OP
Y

YellCoAR

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks I was looking at averages and thinking I might not take heavy warm clothes. After rethinking I will not risk not having it and needing it.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Dude August dates you listed are historically bonkers, from 25-60F days to 10-45F nights. Fog, sunshine, snow, sleet, rain, blue bird skies...all in the same day is very possible.

Plan on warm days and finger-tip snappin fronts without warning. That's the only "range" of weather that is predictable up there after August roles around.

Have a pic on my phone from July 10 that shows fresh snow accumulation on Galbraith airstrip near Toolik.

Ibex

FNG

Galbraith Lake, AK​

weather station is a few miles north of the pass on north side of Brook‘s.

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
We were up there in 2018, we had one day the weather swung 50 degrees in 4 hours. Killed the snot out of the skeeters, but was quite the eye opener. Take some good puffy gear and good layers.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

We're flying out of Kotz on the 21st of August. What's a good spot to watch for that? Especially since we're going to be flying deeper in to get to the open land.

KJH

WKR
I've been snowed on and sweating in the same trip way up north... in the same 24 hour period in August and early September.

OP
Y

YellCoAR

Lil-Rokslider
I noticed if you have OnX You can click on an area. The information pulled up has a weather link. That takes you to a Dalton Highway weather link that has a lot of information. I am not clear on how close or accurate the information is. By the way snow is happening today 4 to 8 inches.

jdmaxwell

WKR
Sitting in Prudhoe for fuel and shipping meat and horns. Weather last couple days on North slope has been 40s and 30s. Snow flurries 2 day