Weather Sealed

HuntnID

FNG
So Im in the market for mirrorless camera. Im completely new to the camera world and mainly want it to get higher quality hunting and landscape photos to give a bit more justice to the areas our hobby takes us. How much of a priority should weather sealed be? I was looking at the Olympus EM10 M3 but don't know if it would be better to pony up and go to something weather sealed?

Ive seen some videos where they dog on weather sealed and others that rave about it.

I went through the same conundrum and in my research the general consensus was anything short of submersion is really unlikely to affect anything. I don’t worry about it. I’ve taken an a6000 out when I probably shouldn’t have dozens of times and it’s been fine. Obviously there’s a nonzero chance for a water droplet to just perfectly hit the perfect crevice on your camera and get into the worst place possible and actually cause problems but it’s unlikely. I do try to avoid letting my creative juices flow during a monsoon though.

The very simple answer is, do you want to be able to take pictures no matter what the weather?. If your answer is yes then you just answered your own questions. When you step up to the Olympus all weather models, starting at E-M5 Mark II, the feature set increases as well. You are getting more then just the all weather feature.
There is no downside, despite people leaving reviews to the contrary

So Im in the market for mirrorless camera. Im completely new to the camera world and mainly want it to get higher quality hunting and landscape photos to give a bit more justice to the areas our hobby takes us. How much of a priority should weather sealed be? I was looking at the Olympus EM10 M3 but don't know if it would be better to pony up and go to something weather sealed?

Ive seen some videos where they dog on weather sealed and others that rave about it.

Personally, I’d go with a more robust body for hunting / backpacking. The E-M1 II + 400mm Pro lens (or the Leica 100-400mm) for wildlife, and variable wide angle Pro for nature shots would be great if money was no object.

The E-M1 series grip sticks out a little for packing but makes for a much more comfortable day in the field. It feels lighter than the smaller E-M’s when you got a big old lens on the end of it.

The E-M5 series is also weather sealed and smaller but you are not gonna be running and gunning by its tiny grip.

If you aren’t super into ultra wide angle, I’d also recommend the RX10 IV as it will beat about 75% of the m43 lens catalog for sharpness across it’s 24-600mm range, and it has better Sony AF for critters.

I'll say this the biggest reason I m trying the 5M II out is because of the full weather proofing and the rugged body construction, I wanted the smallest camera I could get. With articulating screen. I didn't care much about 4k . 1080 HD is plenty for me. I really like the E M1 II , but was over 2x what I wanted to spend for a travel camera and outdoors man's set up. I m in a lot of rain and snow. I wouldn't even consider a non - sealed camera at all. I also wanted a metal body. I think the 5M II might just be the ticket for my needs. I m hoping to review it from a novices perspective this week after I get familiar with it. Heck its 5 axis stabilization and the lens is also sealed. Not bad really. Like I said I m hoping to review this week.

Last edited: