Weather

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
On the verge of booking a hunt for 2021,will be in early August was curious what would be typical weather for that period(Talkeetnas) I know weather is weather but on average what should I expect .Thanks for any input Billy

Hot, Cold, Rain, Snow, Wind, Fog.....all four seasons are liable to appear in August. I killed my first ram in the Talkeetnas on August 19th and we had a foot of snow that day. Rivers subsequently flooded and we were trapped in there for a few days.

OP
W

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks what degree sleeping bag would you recommend

15 or 20 degree bag is what I have used for years. I've been using down the last few seasons, but looking to move back to synthetic.

Have you had issues with down
The only issue with down is that it is worthless when it becomes wet. I haven't had any major problems, but there are times when all of your gear is going to get wet no matter what you do, and i've missed the advantages of having a synthetic bag when it comes to moisture. If i can find a synthetic bag in the weight range I am looking for, then back to synthetic I go.

OP
W

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
I understand I’ve got a 20* slick bag but it’s over 3 1/2 pounds , concedering a EE synthetic quilt. Would love to hear if you find something that fits your criteria

3.5 pounds isn't terrible, especially since you are going guided and should be able to have a fairly light pack. Most of the sheep hunters I guide end up with a pack weight somewhere in the 40-45 pound range.

OP
W

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
Does that weight include food, any insight you are willing to give will be greatly appreciated.I will be two months shy of 60 so every ounce counts Thanks Billy

Jimss

WKR
I actually prefer a 0 degree bag....but I'm a wimpy skin and bones type guy! You may have to wear a few layers to bed if it's very cold and you only have a 20 degree bag?

I use a down bag that has a water-resistant outer. I also put my bag inside a dry bag each day so there is less chance it will ever get wet.

Having a good tent is just as important as your sleeping bag for keeping you dry. I've never gone guided but imagine they usually supply decent tents?

Wapiti1

WKR
3.5 pounds isn't terrible, especially since you are going guided and should be able to have a fairly light pack. Most of the sheep hunters I guide end up with a pack weight somewhere in the 40-45 pound range.

I should have gone with you. My pack weighed in at 73lbs before boarding the float plane. That included 12 days of food. My guides pack was at 75lbs. We each had 20-25lbs of food. I could have shaved off maybe 8-10lbs if I looked at the things I never used that weren't also emergency related.

I take an EE 20 degree water resistant down quilt and pair it with a thermarest neolite insulated pad. Basically, I took my boots off, and went to bed fully clothed. No issues.

My last hunt up there was late Sept 2017 in the Talkeetnas. We saw a high of 50 one day in the sun, and lows to about 20. It rained or snowed every day, but I got lucky and we didn't get socked in for more than a half day.

I'll be back up there this fall same two weeks looking for a moose. Same general area, but a little farther south.

Jeremy

Does that weight include food, any insight you are willing to give will be greatly appreciated.I will be two months shy of 60 so every ounce counts Thanks Billy

That does include food, but generally doesn't include the rifle.

I would say the most important thing to prepare for the physicality of your hunt is your cardio condition. Of course, strong legs, back, etc are important too, but if you make sure you are in peak cardiovascular shape, it will make your sheep hunt infinitely more enjoyable.

I should have gone with you. My pack weighed in at 73lbs before boarding the float plane. That included 12 days of food. My guides pack was at 75lbs. We each had 20-25lbs of food. I could have shaved off maybe 8-10lbs if I looked at the things I never used that weren't also emergency related.

I take an EE 20 degree water resistant down quilt and pair it with a thermarest neolite insulated pad. Basically, I took my boots off, and went to bed fully clothed. No issues.

My last hunt up there was late Sept 2017 in the Talkeetnas. We saw a high of 50 one day in the sun, and lows to about 20. It rained or snowed every day, but I got lucky and we didn't get socked in for more than a half day.

I'll be back up there this fall same two weeks looking for a moose. Same general area, but a little farther south.

Jeremy

73 pounds is a lot. My pack as a guide is usually around 65 pounds. Before every hunt, we go through the clients gear and eliminate everything that won't be needed, as there is usually a fair amount of redundant and not needed items.

Wapiti1

WKR
73 pounds is a lot. My pack as a guide is usually around 65 pounds. Before every hunt, we go through the clients gear and eliminate everything that won't be needed, as there is usually a fair amount of redundant and not needed items.

That did also include my rifle strapped to the pack. I took some camera gear that added a few pounds, but it was worth it. You know the guide I went with (BRWNBR) and, I think, would agree he is solid. We did got through everything, and we removed the gaiters I had in there. Then he added some other things to my pack. Spares mostly. He plans for a lot of contingencies.

That pack weight paled in comparison to the outgoing weight at 140lbs of sheep and bear skin. That hurt, but was the best hike I ever did to date.

To the OP. Enjoy the preparation process, and don't stress too much about the details. It's all about fun.

Jeremy

That did also include my rifle strapped to the pack. I took some camera gear that added a few pounds, but it was worth it. You know the guide I went with (BRWNBR) and, I think, would agree he is solid. We did got through everything, and we removed the gaiters I had in there. Then he added some other things to my pack. Spares mostly. He plans for a lot of contingencies.

That pack weight paled in comparison to the outgoing weight at 140lbs of sheep and bear skin. That hurt, but was the best hike I ever did to date.

To the OP. Enjoy the preparation process, and don't stress too much about the details. It's all about fun.

Jeremy

Yep, Jake is one helluva guide!! Glad you had such a great hunt, nothing like sheep hunting with a little grizzly thrown in for good measure.

OP
W

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
Talked with the guide today looks like I’ve got the first hunt in August 2021. I’ve invested in some quality light weight gear the last couple years so all that’s left do decide on is which rifle and bag/ quilt to take. Please don’t hesitate to recommend any thing that comes to mind that could help me in this old man’s dream hunt

Well broke in boots, trekking pole, platypus water bladder....just a few things off the top of my head. Who is the guide you are going with?

OP
W

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
Will be going with Ben Stevenson went with him couple years back on a goat hunt was happy with him so I felt like it was better to go with someone I have experience with. Thanks for the input I’m sure I’ll have lots more questions

Wapiti1

WKR
Make sure you water bladder is wide mouth so it is easy to fill in a stream. Or take a gatoraid bottle as well. They weigh nothing, and are easy to fill in any water source.

Jeremy

OP
W

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you , keepem coming need all the advice I can get